Cache Not Found

tquad

Read the logs of the cache and look for hints. Sometimes e-mailing the cache owner and asking for a hint will work.

Some caches are difficult to find plain and simple. If you're looking for micros and smalls and just starting out it's going to be more difficult until you get a real feel for the different containers.

I have some caches I've been out to 10+ times and never found. I usually just put them on a back burner and save them for days I'm feeling inspired and spend the rest of my time looking for other caches.

Read the logs of the cache and look for hints. Sometimes e-mailing the cache owner and asking for a hint will work.

Some caches are difficult to find plain and simple. If you're looking for micros and smalls and just starting out it's going to be more difficult until you get a real feel for the different containers.

I have some caches I've been out to 10+ times and never found. I usually just put them on a back burner and save them for days I'm feeling inspired and spend the rest of my time looking for other caches.

Agreed. I'm just starting out as well and on a couple of occasions I've found that reading other people's logged finds will give clues as to where it might be (intentional or not!) I've also had a cache owner drop me a hint after I DNF'd one of his caches (the very first one I ever hunted...guess he felt sorry for the newbie!)

Use the published hint if one has been provided. I actually found a tiny nano under a bench at a busy shopping mall last weekend using the hint alone, no navigation required. The hints do help.

Also, if you have a couple that are stumping you, put them aside for a while and go find some others. As you gain some experience with successful finds, and different types of hides and containers, you'll probably have an "Aha!' moment when you'll realize where that pesky hard-to-find cache might be!

Also, log your DNFs (if you haven't already) :(

The cache could be missing. Sometimes a cache can be missing for several weeks because some cachers don't like to admit to not finding a cache: They don't log DNF and the cache owner is then blissfully unaware that the cache may have gone.

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

Also, log your DNFs (if you haven't already) :)

The cache could be missing. Sometimes a cache can be missing for several weeks because some cachers don't like to admit to not finding a cache: They don't log DNF and the cache owner is then blissfully unaware that the cache may have gone.

MrsB

This is an excellent point! It frustrates me when people won't log their DNF. For some reason they view it as a failure on their part. It's not true. Maybe the cache is missing but the owner won't go check because they assume that only 1 person can't find it. Or....maybe the difficulty is underrated because people aren't logging their DNFs.

All the other responses are good ones. If the difficulty on the cache is easy (1-2 stars), it could be missing. If it's a hard cache (3-5 stars), you're probably not going to gain anything from reading the logs. It will just take experience (and some luck) to find it.

Also, as you make friendships in the hobby, ask a previous finder for a little nudge. (Or email the owner and ask for a nudge.) Excepting for a few very difficult hides in my area, most COs will happily provide a nudge for someone who is having trouble with one of their caches.

First off log a DNF. Some owners will see that and offer you a hint. As others mentioned check the logs to see if there is anything that will narrow down your search area. You could also e-mail the cache owner for a hint.

Also expand your search area. The cache could be 40 or more feet from where your GPS says it is.

Personally I don't fret too much over DNFs. I experienced the area that the cache brought me to and enjoyed the journey there. It doesn't matter to me if I get a find or not in the end.

Edited by briansnat

As others have said, start by logging your DNF. If I reach ground zero and search for the cache, then I always post a log--either a Find or a DNF. But here's some general advice about getting started:

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.)

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your GPSr, and to the GPSr of the cache owner, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate.

It might help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak.

Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

" The cache could be 40 or more feet from where your GPS says it is."

This is so true, sometimes you have to "think outside the circle"

Are you using your phone for geocaching? Did the CO use their phone when hiding the cache? :blink:

took the words right out of my mouth :)

" The cache could be 40 or more feet from where your GPS says it is."

This is so true, sometimes you have to "think outside the circle"

Are you using your phone for geocaching? Did the CO use their phone when hiding the cache? :)

I was using a Magellan Gold and because of conditions, the error was about 50 feet, no fault of the GPS.

I don't know what the CO was using but because of the area, his error could have been substantial and added to mine.

Log a DNF and explain the circumstances of your lack of success in finding the cache. The CO (Cache Owner) may provide you with a tip, but most importantly it lets everyone know that the cache might be missing.

Check the hint and previous Found It logs for clues.

Check the Google Maps satellite view. While your GPS signal at ground level may be erratic sometimes, Google Maps is usually (though not always) pretty accurate. You may recognize terrain/landmarks and realize you did not search in the right spot because your GPS mislead you. (Some locations only have low-resolution images or the area is simply too wooded to distinguish anything so this is not always effective.)

I place DNFs on my Watchlist to see if someone else finds the cache. This confirms the cache is not missing and may give me a tip about where/what to look for.

Try again expanding your search area.

Move on to other caches for now and try this one again weeks or months later when you're more experienced.

Message the CO explaining where you've looked and politely asking for a tip. Not all of them will give you one, but many will.

Log a DNF and explain the circumstances of your lack of success in finding the cache. The CO (Cache Owner) may provide you with a tip, but most importantly it lets everyone know that the cache might be missing.

Check the hint and previous Found It logs for clues.

Check the Google Maps satellite view. While your GPS signal at ground level may be erratic sometimes, Google Maps is usually (though not always) pretty accurate. You may recognize terrain/landmarks and realize you did not search in the right spot because your GPS mislead you. (Some locations only have low-resolution images or the area is simply too wooded to distinguish anything so this is not always effective.)

I place DNFs on my Watchlist to see if someone else finds the cache. This confirms the cache is not missing and may give me a tip about where/what to look for.

Try again expanding your search area.

Move on to other caches for now and try this one again weeks or months later when you're more experienced.

Message the CO explaining where you've looked and politely asking for a tip. Not all of them will give you one, but many will.

This.

Sage advice. I also use the watchlist for caches I have DNFs on. It helps me keep tabs on those caches. Sometimes others have problems finding them too and it helps to know that. Many COs will check out the cache if the DNFs start to pile up so always log them. Don't worry about looking like a noob. We all had to start there. Good luck.

I had heard of this phenomenon, so I guess it really does happen. Some folks can't find every cache? By the way I see the acronym DNF used, any help as to its meaning?

DNF = Did Not Find. I log all caches that I do not find as DNF, many users will not. I will always give a user that logs one of my caches DNF a hint if they contact me and ask. :huh:

Sorry, that was my poor attempt at humor.

I had heard of this phenomenon, so I guess it really does happen. Some folks can't find every cache? By the way I see the acronym DNF used, any help as to its meaning?

Sarcasm and snark are discouraged here in the "Getting Started" forum.

To the OP:

please post your DNF's.

I was confused when someone asked for an additional hint about one of our caches. Beyond what was already in the hint field on the cache page, there isn't much to tell. Pretty standard hide. Why was this person asking for additional hints?

Finally, they posted their DNF, mentioning that this was their 2nd unsuccessful search.

After that DNF was posted, another person finally posted theirs.

We went out to check on the cache....it was gone. How long it had been missing, we have no idea. If people had posted their DNF logs for each unsuccessful search, at the time those happened, we would have known about it a lot sooner.

Edited by Pup Patrol

<!--quoteo(post=4563387:date=Dec 19 2010, 11:36 PM:name=Azisbest)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Azisbest @ Dec 19 2010, 11:36 PM) 4563387[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sarcasm and snark are discouraged here in the "Getting Started" forum.

And you are???

To the OP:

<i>please post your DNF's. </i>

I was confused when someone asked for an additional hint about one of our caches. Beyond what was already in the hint field on the cache page, there isn't much to tell. Pretty standard hide. Why was this person asking for additional hints?

Finally, they posted their DNF, mentioning that this was their 2nd unsuccessful search.

After that DNF was posted, another person finally posted theirs.

We went out to check on the cache....it was gone. How long it had been missing, we have no idea. If people had posted their <i>DNF logs for each unsuccessful search</i>, at the time those happened, we would have known about it a lot sooner.