Recycled For Containers

sylven

I was looking to perhaps use some of the things I would normally throw away for cache containers. While I realize you have no way of knowing all the things I would toss, I was hoping to fish for some inspiration, and would be grateful for any tutorials anyone else might have. Thanks in advance!

I've seen some reused food containers (peanut butter jars) do okay for a couple of seasons. They'll work in places where they don't get much sun.

They're really not designed to tolerate sunlight, or extreme temps, nor to last terribly long.

If your thoughts are towards a 1/2 year or so of cache life, not a bad choice for a container.

Often folks like to use containers that used to hold food. The problem is that even when thoroughly washed many animals can smell the food. This can lead them to chew on the container. That said, some people have had good luck with things like peanut butter jars. Whatever you do don't use glass. It is too easily broken.

Plastic Peanut butter jars and Mayo jars make good containers. Wash them out with hot water and bleach. One way to reinforce them is to wrap with camo tape, or duct tape, then paint. They are water tight if the lids are tightened down by screwing them down clockwise until resistance is met. Unfortunately a fairly large percentage of geocachers aren't quite certain how to do that. :(

I was looking to perhaps use some of the things I would normally throw away for cache containers. While I realize you have no way of knowing all the things I would toss, I was hoping to fish for some inspiration, and would be grateful for any tutorials anyone else might have. Thanks in advance!

those white kool aid containers

redbull shots containers

Often folks like to use containers that used to hold food. The problem is that even when thoroughly washed many animals can smell the food. This can lead them to chew on the container. That said, some people have had good luck with things like peanut butter jars. Whatever you do don't use glass. It is too easily broken.

Plastic Peanut butter jars and Mayo jars make good containers. Wash them out with hot water and bleach. One way to reinforce them is to wrap with camo tape, or duct tape, then paint. They are water tight if the lids are tightened down by screwing them down clockwise until resistance is met. Unfortunately a fairly large percentage of geocachers aren't quite certain how to do that. :blink:

I like these recycled containers for cache containers. I just tried some spray insulation on the outside for camo so we will see how that works. Tape after awhile tends to wheather away but still protect the plastic. We always use a plastic baggie to protect our logs from those cachers that can't seem to put lids back on right. :) Lone R has some great examples of what not to use. Good luck.

Edited by the4dirtydogs

Do not use:

• margarine tubs
    sub_margarine_tubs2kg.jpg
  • yogurt tubs
    3f1a5ef7-c34b-456c-9c29-64894c7575bc.jpg
  • glass containers
    broken_glass250.jpg
  • gladware/ziploc disposable containers
    ea961471-1d53-478f-8bc3-3cfdbbd36b4b.jpg
  • thin plastic take out containers
    RecycleYourTakeOutContainers.jpg
  • Anything tin like coffee containers and candy/cookie containers
    05dd7c5b-3175-488f-8f83-0fec3ef4737d.jpg

For more 'what-not-use' ideas see: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=244760

We have a local cacher with a few hundred hides that are all yogurt containers and cottage cheese containers. Usually accompanied with soggy cache logs. Sometimes other cachers will place these horrible cache containers in ziplock bags, so when you get to the cache site there's a ziplock bag peeking out from behind a stump.

Do not use:

• margarine tubs
    sub_margarine_tubs2kg.jpg
  • yogurt tubs
    3f1a5ef7-c34b-456c-9c29-64894c7575bc.jpg
  • glass containers
    broken_glass250.jpg
  • gladware/ziploc disposable containers
    ea961471-1d53-478f-8bc3-3cfdbbd36b4b.jpg
  • thin plastic take out containers
    RecycleYourTakeOutContainers.jpg
  • Anything tin like coffee containers and candy/cookie containers
    05dd7c5b-3175-488f-8f83-0fec3ef4737d.jpg

For more 'what-not-use' ideas see: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=244760

I have seen the thread on these containers before. All I can say is...wow... The rusted ones are really what gets me. And even if they did want to use something like that, there are all sorts of spray ons you could have protected it with, of course you still have to get past the fact the thing doesn't seal well.

I seen a peanute butter container in our area that works well. They keep an eye on it, not my personal favorite container though. I would have to do something interesting to it... hehe

Do NOT use a fish!!!

Carp. I only hit the submit button once. Really..........

Edited by Thrak

We have a local cacher with a few hundred hides that are all yogurt containers and cottage cheese containers. Usually accompanied with soggy cache logs. Sometimes other cachers will place these horrible cache containers in ziplock bags, so when you get to the cache site there's a ziplock bag peeking out from behind a stump.

I got notification on some caches published a few months ago in my area. The cache page described them as "old snuff can in a ziploc bag". Ugh. Can you imagine that after a couple of rains? Or when we get a foot of snow and it all melts in one day?

I've seen a lot of those big plastic pretzel jars. They seem to work OK, but they get broken or cracked easily and then you have a mess.

Ive been working on this 2 liter container.

a1cf3d8a-f59b-43d6-8781-8cfdc1a3bb58.jpg

I took one 2 liter and cut the top off as it curves inward toward the spout. I then fitted a carpet tube down inside of the bottom piece, sealing it with glue. I then took another 2 liter and cut the bottom piece off, shorter this time. This is to be the cap. I used another size carpet tube that fits down inside of the carpet tube on the other piece. This is also sealed with glue. Even dry it looks a little wet, as you can see on the 2 liter. Im going to bring the glue down a little bit to waterproof the paper.

The container comes together pretty well, but in order to make sure it seals tightly I am going to use an adjustable clamp that will fit around the whole thing and pull it together. I am about to begin a testing phase for the container to make sure it will work okay.

I just like to tinker with stuff like this, never know what your going to run into... Anyway, thoughts? comments?

Do NOT use a fish!!!

....unless it is one of those rubber ones! The "belly" of one held the cache in a waterproof container and the fish was below the surface of the water. It was a fun find after a few misses.

To be fair, he does use other crappy containers besides yogurt and cottage cheese containers.