geocaching program at the library

fijicat

I am flirting with the idea of setting up a geocaching program for my library's summer reading club. I was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience either creating or participating in a library program involving geocaching.

Ideally, I would like to set up caches near city buildings and in parks to get our patrons exposed to what the city has to offer and geocaching itself. I am also considering contacting various cache owners in the area and asking if they are okay with their caches being listed as hides within the city. I know The Colony Visitor's Bureau (Texas) set up a similar idea, but it was somewhat removed from the city, being the bureau, and was more of a game than a program.

Any thoughts?

We are currently working with our county's libraries to set up "Geo Days," our summer geocaching program. The programs will consist of a Geocaching how-to for beginners, a segment where participants can make their own geocache and create a signature swag item, and then the day will end with finding an actual geocache. Nearly all of the libraries we're hosting a program at have geocaches near their facility but we will also be setting up temporary caches for the programs. If you'd to see our sample itinerary, feel free to send me an email at sara.n.price@wv.gov! :)

-Sara

Program Assistant, ExploreWV GeoChallenge

Those are all cool ideas! I am a librarian and am planning a beginning class with information. Temp caches are a great idea. How do you do them? Is there a website or page I can look up? Maybe we could have teens come up with caching ideas for future caches. They ususally have great ideas.