Magellan ToughCase for iPod Touch / iPhone

I was just wondering if anyone has experience yet with the ToughCase. I've been out of the loop for a while and just heard about this device, and saw that there's a nice discount available for us. I did a few searches, but couldn't find too many thoughts on it. Anything you can share would be great.

I have an iPod Touch that we use for paperless along with a very old Garmen Legend. I sure would love to use something like this with the touch and have it all in one unit as long as the accuracy comparable with the Legend (or preferably better). The fact that it would protect the touch is also a nice bonus.

I have read a lot about the Dual cradle and that looks very intriguing too, but more expensive and doesn't offer the protection. Nice trade-off with the in-car ability though...

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

I just bought my Tough Case for my iPod Touch 3rd Gen.

So far I really like it. While using the compass part its alittle slow. I have to walk alittle bit before it updates. I dont know if this is because of my signal or its the geocaching app. Another great part of it is the battery. Longer battery while out geocaching is a plus. The geocaching app does like to use the juice.

I'm still working with it and learning new things everytime I go out. If I find any more information about it I'll post it on here.

All in all so far I'm really liking it.

Reyga

First post on Groundspeak and here is my story on this product as posted on another forum I am on.

Hey Everyone,

Ok here is an update. For any of you thinking on buying this product for Geocaching DO NOT BUY!!! I repeat DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!

After several hours, yes you read that correctly hours, on the phone with Magellan and getting the run around we finally were told that the Toughcase is NOT compatible with the Geocaching app for iPhone/iTouch's.

Not only that but once you receive the Toughcase you will be required to spend more money on Magellan app's through iTunes to Maps. These maps are not Geocache friendly either.

Now personally I think this is Flagrant false advertising as the tough case was advertised ON THE GEOCACHE HOMPAGE and yet is NOT compatible with the geocaching app. When this was brought up to Magellan they had no comment.

We had a heck of a time trying to get a refund and they even refused to pay us back for our expedited delivery of 2 days (it actually came in 7) and then wanted us to pay 50$ to ship it BACK to them for the refund.

All in all I am going to say we are extremely displeased is Magellan as a company and with Geocaching.com for allowing this false advertising pretense.

Sorry for long post but just thought anyone considering this should be aware of what they are buying.

Berz out.

Hi Just got my tough case to use with my Ipod touch and yes it is a lot of money for a case but well worth it in my opion. Using the memory map application and it works well with a fast satalight fix, also have the free autorout app Nav free which works well. So for me it is working well. It is sturdy and very protective of my ipod a bit heaver than other hand held GPS's for hiking. Sorry dont know a great deal about Geocaching but if MM works could you not use MM for doing this. please dont bit my head off if this will not work. Anyway hope everyone has good health and enjoys what they do.

Nick

I purchased Magellan Toughcase direct from Magellan in April. The device really has not lived up to my expectations, or Magellan's specifications. The device has very serious battery/power management issues that make the device as good as useless. The problems as follow are:

First, after charging the Toughcase overnight (not less than 16-24 hours) in the ON postion with an iPod installed, I will consistently remove the charger to go sailing and find that the iPod is fully charged, but the Toughcase has not charged at all. Blue lights will flash for hours, but as soon as I unplug power supply, right back to red light. The only effective way I have found to charge the Toughcase, is to remove the iPod and charge the case separately. This is in direct contradiction to Magellan's information.

Will the Tough case charge my phone?

Yes it will.

How long does it take to charge my ToughCase?

Using an Apple USB Power Adaptor: With ToughCase battery discharged to 25% or less, it will take approximately 3 to 4 hours to charge the ToughCase to 100%. This estimate does not include charging the iPhone or iPod touch that is inserted inside.

How do I charge my ToughCase?

You can charge it using either your I-Phone Power supply using the provided USB cable or connect it to your PC.

Can I charge both the Toughcase and my I-Phone/Touch at the same time?

Yes, when connected to external power both will simultaneously charge.

The second problem is that when using the Toughcase the voltage regulator function (if Magellan engineers were in fact clever enough to include one) seems to be kaput. At the end of a day of hiking, the iPod will be fully charged, but the Toughcase will be completely drained, which essentially defeats the purpose of carrying it as a GPS. If Magellan had done their design properly, they would not allow the Toughcase to keep an iPod at 98%+ charge while completely draining the Toughcase. An iPod needs what 20% charge to work??

I would strongly discourage anybody from using this device as anything other than a cool coffee table coaster. There was really nothing worse than finding out that I had no GPS signal while still several miles from camp, with darkness rapidly approaching. Thank goodness I'd brought my trusty Garmin Map60 along.

I have contacted Magellan regarding both of these issues and have requested a refund, replacement, and/or firmware upgrade. No response. But, given how poorly this device has performed, I'm not expecting the company to step up to bat and take responsibility either.

Edited by djsteichen

I too would like to know if anyone has this. Right now I am using an otter box for my iphone and like the idea of an extra battery for it and a stronger gps set.

Where does one find the discount offer? Can't locate it on the site?

There have been many complaints about the Magellan ToughCase. Someone asked if anyone had had success using the ToughCase with a 2G/3G IPod Touch or 3G/3GS iPhone. I'm here to testify positively to its utility with my 3G iPod/Touch. I'll use the term iTouch in this account, but you can also apply what I write to the 3G/3GS iPhone.

In Jan. 2012 I bought the ToughCase for $79.99 plus shipping/tax directly from Magellan. This is a much reduced price from the original price of $200 back in 2010.

The operations manual is sparse. You ought to read it and then try all options. For example, I found that the ToughCase charges best if you do not put the iTouch inside and if you attach it to a USB cable connected to your computer. I tried to use a USB cable plugged directly into a power strip, it didn't seem to charge. I also tried to charge the ToughCase with the iTouch in side, but it did not charge the case.

The key to understanding the ToughCase is understanding the difference in its behavior with one or two white indicator lights showing. Whenever you open the case, insert the iTouch, and close it, the ToughCase defaults to a one light state. In that (battery only) state it simply acts as a backup battery to your iTouch/iPhone. Actually, what happens is that the ToughCase transfers its battery charge to the iTouch as the iTouch uses its charge. With continued use the ToughCase will transfer all its stored charge to the iTouch/iPhone. That's actually a nice thing if you are flying and your 750 mAh battery in your iTouch runs low on power. Pop it in the ToughCase and you will have another 1840 mAh of power to use on your iTouch!

But that's not why I bought this ToughCase. Yes, the case is water resistant to 1 meter depth for 30 minutes. That's good for use in a rainstorm but not much else. I also didn't buy if for ability to output audio from the iTouch while in the ToughCase. The output jack on the ToughCase only works when the GPS is turned on (two white indicator lights).

I bought the ToughCase because I wanted use GPS capable apps on my ITouch. After inserting the iTouch in the ToughCase, you must put it in the two white light (GPS+battery) state. In this two light state, the audio output jack works and I can play music to external speakers or plug it into my car audio system to listen to music or GPS navigation driving instructions.

I have successfully used three GPS dependent apps. The Geocaching app works just like it does in a GPS containing iPhone. The GPS Tracks application allows you to track your hike/bike/car ride and plot it on Google Earth. The $40 Magellan USA Road Mate GPS navigation app for the iPhone works with ToughCase/ITouch combination.

While using the ToughCase with iTouch combination you have more than triple the iTouch charge for GPS ennobled applications. This is more than you have with the iPhone 4 or 4S!

I could not be happier with the GPS utility of this Magellan TouchCase.

There have been many complaints about the Magellan ToughCase. Someone asked if anyone had had success using the ToughCase with a 2G/3G IPod Touch or 3G/3GS iPhone. I'm here to testify positively to its utility with my 3G iPod/Touch. I'll use the term iTouch in this account, but you can also apply what I write to the 3G/3GS iPhone.

In Jan. 2012 I bought the ToughCase for $79.99 plus shipping/tax directly from Magellan. This is a much reduced price from the original price of $200 back in 2010.

The operations manual is sparse. You ought to read it and then try all options. For example, I found that the ToughCase charges best if you do not put the iTouch inside and if you attach it to a USB cable connected to your computer. I tried to use a USB cable plugged directly into a power strip, it didn't seem to charge. I also tried to charge the ToughCase with the iTouch in side, but it did not charge the case.

The key to understanding the ToughCase is understanding the difference in its behavior with one or two white indicator lights showing. Whenever you open the case, insert the iTouch, and close it, the ToughCase defaults to a one light state. In that (battery only) state it simply acts as a backup battery to your iTouch/iPhone. Actually, what happens is that the ToughCase transfers its battery charge to the iTouch as the iTouch uses its charge. With continued use the ToughCase will transfer all its stored charge to the iTouch/iPhone. That's actually a nice thing if you are flying and your 750 mAh battery in your iTouch runs low on power. Pop it in the ToughCase and you will have another 1840 mAh of power to use on your iTouch!

But that's not why I bought this ToughCase. Yes, the case is water resistant to 1 meter depth for 30 minutes. That's good for use in a rainstorm but not much else. I also didn't buy if for ability to output audio from the iTouch while in the ToughCase. The output jack on the ToughCase only works when the GPS is turned on (two white indicator lights).

I bought the ToughCase because I wanted use GPS capable apps on my ITouch. After inserting the iTouch in the ToughCase, you must put it in the two white light (GPS+battery) state. In this two light state, the audio output jack works and I can play music to external speakers or plug it into my car audio system to listen to music or GPS navigation driving instructions.

I have successfully used three GPS dependent apps. The Geocaching app works just like it does in a GPS containing iPhone. The GPS Tracks application allows you to track your hike/bike/car ride and plot it on Google Earth. The $40 Magellan USA Road Mate GPS navigation app for the iPhone works with ToughCase/ITouch combination.

While using the ToughCase with iTouch combination you have more than triple the iTouch charge for GPS ennobled applications. This is more than you have with the iPhone 4 or 4S!

Thank you so much for this information! Would you mind terribly adding it to the GPS Review section? I've been combing the internet reading reviews about this product and really want to start using my iPod Touch 3G instead of my crumby eTrex Legend (Blue). I think in the next few weeks I'll be making a purchase from the Magellan website.

Do you mind if I ask how much you got charged for shipping / taxes / duty?

[snip]

Thank you so much for this information! Would you mind terribly adding it to the GPS Review section? I've been combing the internet reading reviews about this product and really want to start using my iPod Touch 3G instead of my crumby eTrex Legend (Blue). I think in the next few weeks I'll be making a purchase from the Magellan website.

Do you mind if I ask how much you got charged for shipping / taxes / duty?

Glad to be of help to you.

I paid $7 for shipping and $6.60 for CA state tax.

I'm not sure where you would want to post this in addition to this location at Groundspeak. I think this is the GPS & Technology review section, right? If there is another place you have in mind, let me know more specifically. I did post it to the Magellan support forums, as well.

...I'm not sure where you would want to post this in addition to this location at Groundspeak. I think this is the GPS & Technology review section, right? If there is another place you have in mind, let me know more specifically...

I was just thinking the GPS Review section. As long as you have the ToughCase listed as one of your GPSr's go to the bottom of the page, highlight the ToughCase, click Change/Add on the right, at the bottom of the next screen you can give a rating out of 5 stars and leave a review.

So I bought one and I LOVE IT !!

PROS:

- I can now cache with my iPod Touch. And with apps like NavFree & Navigon it can double as a car GPS.

- I have found it to be much more accurate than my Garmin eTrex Legend (blue). The accuracy says 10 meters but it zeroed in on 2 caches on a very cloudy day using both iGeoKnife and the GC.com apps

- The walking speed issue has definitely been fixed.

CONS:

- In order to charge the unit you turn it 'ON" with the inside switch.

- There is no GPS only function. You have to use the battery too.

- The screen is hard to read in the sun. Though this is true without the case.

- You have to charge the case and your Apple product seperately

- The power has to be on for the audio plug to work.

Overall I really like the case for what it is. I give it 4/5 stars.