Dwarven Treasure 2011

GregsonVaux

This is the first image of the next coin in the alphabet series. The writing is futhark runes which were used by the Germanic and Scandinavian people before being replaced by the modern (Latin) alphabet. All of the strokes of the letters are straight so that they can easily be carved into wood or stone. JRR Tolkien, who studied these runes as part of his professorship, used them in his works of fiction for Dwarvish writing.

The other side of the coin will have words that everyone can read and I will be posting an image soon.

I am curious to hear what people in this forum think of the design. The current colors are especially open to change. Mostly, I want them to be rich and heavy colors, but I am limited to what is available in transparent hard enamel. The design in the two outer rings will engraved at different levels.

The coin will include:

All transparent hard enamels

Embedded gems

2" diameter

Unique icon

Several finishes including shiny gold, shiny nickel, and one that is almost never seen

Printing and tracking numbers on the coin's edge

I hope you like it.

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster
Title update

It was my understanding that any PMS color can be made into a translucent color...but I could be wrong.

If anyone has experience with turning any color into a transparent color, I would like to hear about it. Being able to do that would make coin design easier.

If there is a mint that does this, I'd like to know which one it is. :(

The rumor I'd heard was that yes, it can be done, but there were no guarantees about color stability. I don't remember where I saw that though.

It was my understanding that any PMS color can be made into a translucent color...but I could be wrong.

If anyone has experience with turning any color into a transparent color, I would like to hear about it. Being able to do that would make coin design easier.

If there is a mint that does this, I'd like to know which one it is. :(

The rumor I'd heard was that yes, it can be done, but there were no guarantees about color stability. I don't remember where I saw that though.

There are many, but they are not clear translucents, as "we" are used to. The standard 24 pack is all you can get right now in clear trans, and even two of those are muddy.

TMA

transparentcolorchart.jpg

The standard 24 pack is all you can get right now in clear trans, and even two of those are muddy.

TMA

For those who have not seen it, I have included the transparent color chart.

A few questions and comments about this chart:

What is with colors 1, 2, and 3? They all look like the same shade of red to me.

Which two colors are muddy? I am assuming that they are 15 and 24. Is that correct?

I notice that many people call these colors translucent. That makes sense to me, but I call them transparent since that color chart and the mint use that term. Transparent, translucent, and opaque are all really on a spectrum and it just matters how strong your light source is and how thick the transmitting material is.

Can anyone translate what the central circle says? If not, the other side will have the same message written in Latin letters so it can easily be read by anyone. I should be posting that soon, but before then, can anyone post the translation?

At last I opened my eyes and saw that treasure is found in the Earth, the mind and the heart? I gave it a quick go, so I am not sure the translation is accurate. I like the look of your coin and am looking forward to seeing the final color combinations. Where will the gems be placed?

Can anyone translate what the central circle says? If not, the other side will have the same message written in Latin letters so it can easily be read by anyone. I should be posting that soon, but before then, can anyone post the translation?

At last I opened my eyes and saw that treasure is found in the Earth, the mind and the heart? I gave it a quick go, so I am not sure the translation is accurate. I like the look of your coin and am looking forward to seeing the final color combinations. Where will the gems be placed?

Yes, perfect translation!

I am hoping to have very tiny gems in the cups and the crown. On the other side will be a dwarf holding a large gem over his head.

However, everything is still tentative. I expect that there will be lots of back and forth with the mint about what can and cannot be done.

About the finishes, I will probably have several cointests. One will be to chose a color combination. The other will be revealed later. I have one finish in mind that I am excited about because it has been done so seldom and I am not sure why. I checked with the mint and they said that it can be done.

Very cool design! I love Tolkien's books and world, and I very much enjoy the runic writing. The translation is "At last I opened my eyes and saw that treasure is found in the Earth, the mind, and the heart." I also really like Tolkien's quote "If more of us valued food and song and cheer above hoarded gold, the world would be a better place."

I happen to really like the gold-on-red design with the purple border. I dark green border might be quite nice too, with mountains and the moon in white.

Very cool design! I love Tolkien's books and world, and I very much enjoy the runic writing. The translation is "At last I opened my eyes and saw that treasure is found in the Earth, the mind, and the heart." I also really like Tolkien's quote "If more of us valued food and song and cheer above hoarded gold, the world would be a better place."

I happen to really like the gold-on-red design with the purple border. I dark green border might be quite nice too, with mountains and the moon in white.

This coin started out with just the idea that I wanted runes on it. Once I had that in mind, it became clear that it would have been written by Dwarves. I don't remember exactly what I was thinking when I wrote those words, but I definitely had that quote and scene in mind. The death of Thorin is quite touching. I'll have more to say about the images on the coin later.

Please keep thinking about colors, because there will be a cointest to pick the colors and finish for one of the versions. Maybe your version will be chosen.

The link not work!, ...at least now.

Which link doesn't work?

By the way, an update on the design. I am still working on the other side of the coin and it looks likes it will be 3-d. I did not realize that inserting gems requires a 3-d die and since I need to add that expense anyway, it allowed me to make some features more detailed. Hoever, since a 3-d die is a substantial expense, I will not be adding gems to the cups and crown on the side shown above as originally intended.

Now I see!

Nice design, full of symbolism. The color scheme too, I guess there will be various versions.

Perhaps the letters are too small?, ...no, look good!

BTW, where is, how is the 1st coin?

Thanks, I am also worried about some parts of the design being too small, but I have people with more experience than me reviewing the design and they seem to think that it will be ok. The only important letters (runes) are the ones in the central circle. The runes in the middle ring are more there for mood, but I expect and intend that they will be large enough to read. I am pushing the limits of what can be put on a coin, bacause I want something complex, will hold the owner's attention, and have little details to discover over time.

The first coin is called "Dawning Hope". The reservations are now closed, but it will be for sale at my web store in about a month. The price for each coin will be $1.00 greater than what it went for in the reservations. Some of the rarer versions will also be up for auction. A few people will also be receiving the rare versions, but they don't know who they are yet.

The first coin is called "Dawning Hope". The reservations are now closed, but it will be for sale at my web store in about a month. The price for each coin will be $1.00 greater than what it went for in the reservations. Some of the rarer versions will also be up for auction. A few people will also be receiving the rare versions, but they don't know who they are yet.

Yes, the details are very important, the human eye can see a tenth of a millimeter, ... if in good condition, of course! :blink:

I do not understand how I did not see the thread of the first series before, I hope to get one in your web shop, what is the address?

Which software you use to draw geocoins?

Edited by manu luq

I hope to get one in your web shop, what is the address?

Which software you use to draw geocoins?

Some other people asked about the web store. It will open when I have received my first full shipment of coins in January or early February. At first it will just sell the Dawning Hope coins, but as I produce other coins, they will be added.

The software that I use is called "Inkscape". It is vector-based, which means that it makes extremely sharp graphics. Since people in this forum have asked me to limit the size of the images I post, you cannot see how really clear the images are. The software is free and you can find it by typing "inkscape download" into any search engine. It works differntly than pixel-based software, so it takes a while to learn how to use it.

The software that I use is called "Inkscape". It is vector-based, which means that it makes extremely sharp graphics. Since people in this forum have asked me to limit the size of the images I post, you cannot see how really clear the images are. The software is free and you can find it by typing "inkscape download" into any search engine. It works differntly than pixel-based software, so it takes a while to learn how to use it.

Ok, I'll wait that open your shop.

I normally use a vectorial software called InsightPoint (free), but I like to try other, now I'm learning with the Photoshop.

Thanks for the info, i'll try with inkscape too, ...I must to choose one of them, two is not practical to use! :)

Ok, I'll wait that open your shop.

I normally use a vectorial software called InsightPoint (free), but I like to try other, now I'm learning with the Photoshop.

Thanks for the info, i'll try with inkscape too, ...I must to choose one of them, two is not practical to use! :)

dwarventreasurerune1172.png

dwarventreasureenglish1.png

Here is the latest artwork for the coin. These colors are temporary, and I am now thinking of the versions I would like to make. I would be happy to open up one of the versions to a cointest on this forum. The winning person would get a free copy of their coin. Would this interest people? The colors would all need to be translucent. People would also be picking the colors of the gems on the 3-d side and the choice of metal.

Great, it looks like we are on! Things are moving fast at the mint, so I will try to get more details about this cointest out soon. I am giving an idea of what will be involved so you can start coming up with ideas. The version you will be designing will be a LE of 50 coins and will never be minted again. It will only be available as part of a set, but the winning designer will be receiving the coin and will not need to purchase the set. The colors chosen must be from the pallet of hard transparent colors listed in post #9. You will be choosing the plating (e.g. shiny nickel, antique copper, black nickel, etc) as well as the color of the two gem stones. I will post a color chart for the stones later. The color scheme must be the same as shown in post #23. What I mean by that, is you can choose any colors that you want, but the outer ring on each side must be a single color, the middle ring on the 2-d side must be a single color, and the central circles on each side must be a single color. I am not trying to limit anyone's creativity, but the design of the die demands that limitation. The 3-d art (the dwarves in the middle ring on one side) must remain color free. All entries must include a picture showing what the coin will look like as well as a list of the numbers of the colors chosen (again, post #9). Since the mint and I are still going over details, it is possible that I may need to include other limitations.

If this cointest goes well, I expect to have another, because I am experimenting with new techniques and a whole new pallet of transparent colors just became available. That will call for another coin.

czechcolorchart.jpg

Here is the chart for the gem stones. For those of you taking part in the cointest, there will be a 2mm stone that the Dwarf miner is holding over his head and a 1mm stone being held by the Dwarf mother. You can select any of the stones to the left of the vertical white line. The stones to the right of the white line under the word "coatings" are not available.

I encourage everyone to take part in this cointest.

Here are the rules and explanations. I'll use bullets to be as clear and concise as possible:

- Cointest ends at at midnight (eastern time), Wednesday, January 26

- participants will be choosing metal plating, enamel color, and gem color

- Enamel colors can be found in post #9; choose from the top 24 colors, not the bottom 16

- gem colors can be found in post #31; choose from the first three columns

- There are five regions on the coin that can each take a single color: the outer rings on each side, the central circles, and the middle ring on the 2-d side

- The middle ring with the 3-d art will not be colored

- Post #23 shows what the artwork and color scheme looks like

- The coin will hold two gems

- The winner will receive a free LE coin; 50 total will be made

- Entries must be posted to this thread with a picture showing what the final coin will look like along with the number description for each color, the plating, and the names of the gem colors

- Each participant is limited to one submission per day.

Thanks for taking part. Your help is much appreciated in making this a better looking coin.

Edited by GregsonVaux

After seeing 3D on Black Nickel, and not really liking it, I slightly changed my initial idea.

Here is the Glow of the Forge edition of your Dwarven Treasure!

Are we allowed to submit more than one project? I'm so having fun... :lol:

Yes, definitely submit more than one. I will put a limit of one per day.

Edited by GregsonVaux

I'm probably making a fool of myself by posting an image, but I consider it a learning process.

I am not familiar with limitations of the different metals, or how dark/light the enamel colours will be when applied in different levels, etc etc etc. (I thought that the outer ring should have only one colour, but with the mountain part "carved" deeper than the sky part, so that the enamel on the mountains will be deeper --> darker...)

Feel free to start laughing, it's healthy. :)

I really like the warm colours of the original (makes me think of forges, lava, etc), but I'm thinking that LEs that are really different from the RE are particularly nice. My idea was to make a "secrets of the night" version.

Image was supposed to suggest antique silver as the metal plating, sorry about that!

image11th.jpg

Sorry, there are still some traces of orange in there, couldn't remember how to replace colours with varying brightness...

Edited by mamoreb

I'm probably making a fool of myself by posting an image, but I consider it a learning process.

I am not familiar with limitations of the different metals, or how dark/light the enamel colours will be when applied in different levels, etc etc etc. (I thought that the outer ring should have only one colour, but with the mountain part "carved" deeper than the sky part, so that the enamel on the mountains will be deeper --> darker...)

Feel free to start laughing, it's healthy. :)

I really like the warm colours of the original (makes me think of forges, lava, etc), but I'm thinking that LEs that are really different from the RE are particularly nice. My idea was to make a "secrets of the night" version.

image11th.jpg

Sorry, there are still some traces of orange in there, couldn't remember how to replace colours with varying brightness...

Thanks for the submission, you did well.

Did you say what metal plating that is? I may have missed it. If not, could you edit your post to include it?

Yeah, a template would be helpful! I have no idea what I'm doing but it's too cold to go caching so... I took the last submission and colored over it. So the detail is really disintegrating but here you go. This would be in antique silver.

b1cfecbf-e8eb-4a2a-aa2d-fd225cb7d38c.jpg

I can't figure out which version of a coin I like best until I'm holding them all in my hands so this is pretty hard! :rolleyes::)

Mamoreb is right about the color scheme. The mountains and the sky should be the same color.

These are some great versions, so picking only one will be tough. Luckily, I have some people to help me.

I am not sure what would work as a template. I could post a black and white version, but I think that it would not be any easier to color in.

Mamoreb is right about the color scheme. The mountains and the sky should be the same color.

Oops! Sorry. Well, it was fun to give it a try. I'm not at all confident I'd guess what color change to apply to the color chart to account for depth... Would the color in the chart be the "dark" ("deep") version of that color or...?

I think? mamoreb's version is the only valid one so far?

HHmm I can open the the picture of the coin in photoshop, but how is everyone able to change the colored sections? And add the gem?

:huh:

Well, I hesitate to answer since my approach is very crude but... use the "eye dropper" and the "paint bucket" if you have a version that includes those. The gems can be "cut" and "pasted".

But, you might have better results by pursuing the recommendations by others to try other software...

Oops! Sorry. Well, it was fun to give it a try. I'm not at all confident I'd guess what color change to apply to the color chart to account for depth... Would the color in the chart be the "dark" ("deep") version of that color or...?

I think? mamoreb's version is the only valid one so far?

The important thing is creativity and not accuracy, although accuracy is always appreciated. My experience is that the metal closer to the surface appears lighter, but the mints in their artwork often make it darker. Anyway, why not follow the mints and make the mid-level layer a shade or two darker. As to the color chart, I think you should assume that it is showing the darker color. Some other coin designers might be able to add more.

Well, as an alternative to my first proposal for colors/plating, I present this one.

Change the color Trans #1 (too dark) at #4, to see better words in background.

I also changed the plating to gold, or perhaps antique gold. I think this color scheme supports both.

By the way, I've been asking for software. I use a couple of interesting free programs: InsightPoint and Inkscape, second Greg recommended it to me, and works very well. There is also Photoshop, of course! ;)

I like the other proposals submitted so far :)

DwarvenTreasureGoldBlue.jpg

Edited by manu luq