Geocaching site is screaming!

Earlier today I would have asked what meds you were on. Now I gotta agree with you.

Earlier today I wouldn't have said that. But I expected it to take them a bit of effort to get it all going.

Have they explained anywhere, in technical language, what improvements they made?

I know there's a "new network design as well as new hardware", but inquiring propeller-heads would love to know more. What does it take to scale a site like GC.com?

It would probably be lost on me anyway. Although I would be interested in the internet for dummies version. Was it new machines that made the difference?

I went to MY PROFILE page, and clicked on MAP IT.

I zoomed in and out; I panned left and right.

WHATEVER they did, it WORKED!

Now, if only they could show more than 500 caches.

That is on its way. I think this upgrade was in preparation for that and the stats and ratings they are getting ready to add.

Edited by GOF and Bacall

Earlier today I would have asked what meds you were on. Now I gotta agree with you.

+2

Early this AM (AZ time) the site was about 5X

s l o w e r

than yesterday.

Around noon here, the site suddenly perked up and started flying right. :angry:

Perhaps something was inadvertently left unplugged? <_<

I also wonder exactly what was done, but I probably wouldn't understand the explanation without three weeks of Googling the terminology! :P

Perhaps something was inadvertently left unplugged? <_<

I also wonder exactly what was done, but I probably wouldn't understand the explanation without three weeks of Googling the terminology! :P

My guestimate is that part of the change was a replacement server farm, probably with more servers. The old structure would not have handled the increased demands that the new features will create (such as the new mapping feature). The cost of this hardware upgrade probably was in the 10's of thousands of dollars, several 10's.

Now if they could just get PQ's working again it would be nice. Does not matter how fast the site is if you can not get PQ's that have more than 500 caches in them.

I just downloaded a 1000 cache pocket query.

I just downloaded two regular pocket queries, one with 998 caches and the other with 497 caches, plus the latest My Finds query with 3262 caches. They were all available within five minutes of my requesting them.

--Larry

Just came across a blog post which explains the changes:

* Expanded double-cross matrix of app- and database servers with load-balancing and overdrive. New hardware consists of 62 rack-mount app servers, 4 DB servers, and a cup holder. App servers squeak when squeezed.

* Dual double-buffered asynchronous JK flip-flop query streams for maximum throughput.

* RAID redundancy with flux capacitor request splitting. Double-clutching no longer required.

* Server errors from "/" application now routed to bit-bucket for increased reliability.

* ISP fat pipe connection untangled from plumbing network at request of maintenance staff.

More details here.

* Expanded double-cross matrix of app- and database servers with load-balancing and overdrive. New hardware consists of 62 rack-mount app servers, 4 DB servers, and a cup holder. App servers squeak when squeezed.

* Dual double-buffered asynchronous JK flip-flop query streams for maximum throughput.

* RAID redundancy with flux capacitor request splitting. Double-clutching no longer required.

* Server errors from "/" application now routed to bit-bucket for increased reliability.

* ISP fat pipe connection untangled from plumbing network at request of maintenance staff.

More details here.

:angry:<_<:P:P

More details here.

The internet for dummies translation came back and it said this means new hamsters.

I agree that it seems much faster. But check this out

http://coord.info/GC279GE

This cache is my dauters. Looks great. But when Isearch the area, it doesn't show up.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...lng=-114.029400

WUWT (what's up with that)

Shows up for me. Do you have the cache on your Ignore List? That would make it disappear.

Good idea. I don't think I have ever used my ignore list, but I will check.

Edit: after searching for the ignore list for about 5 min. I found it, and sure enough it is on there. Now I feel silly. I guess I added it to get it of my unfound list. I haven't logged a find because I helped hide it.

Edited by Andronicus

Have they explained anywhere, in technical language, what improvements they made?

I know there's a "new network design as well as new hardware", but inquiring propeller-heads would love to know more. What does it take to scale a site like GC.com?

They replaced the Hamsters, they breed ones that can run twice as fast approx every 18 months.

Edited by pklong

only the smilie issue is STILL THERE!

This week they updated the infrastructure so they will have the horsepower to run the upcoming changes.

Phase II, where the software changes are made, will happen in a week or two.

Then we'll be able to all complain about the bugs created when the new features were added. This will give us something different to moan about, which will be a nice change. :P

Seriously though, these upgrades are a major investment in time and resources. It's great to see them happening and I'm willing to live through a few 'growing pains' as this site moves up to the next level.

only the smilie issue is STILL THERE!

Then we'll be able to all complain about the bugs created when the new features were added.

But what im complaining about came about two updates ago, its not new.

hopefully its squashed with the new maps.