geocaching.com not loading

tsnyder88

i did not know where else to post this in the forums and i and i also cant log in to the feedback site to post it there. i tried getting on geocaching.com this morning and all i keep getting is The connection has timed out The server at www.geocaching.com is taking too long to respond. and i was wondering if it was a bug in last nights upgrades

I've been able to load some cache listings and have published two new ones this morning for folks to go hunt in the snow and freezing temperatures.

I did notice that the site is running very slowly, probably as a result of growing pains caused by last night's major infrastructure upgrade.

I haven't been able to load any searches in the iPhone app. I didn't discover it until I had already taken the subway out to Queens to look for a cache before work; when I realized that the problem was probably the servers and not my phone, I just turned around and went back the way I came. No big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Amazing how quickly I've learned to rely on my phone rather than printing things out, or constantly loading PQs into my GPSr (which I rarely use in the city anyway, since the sat maps dominate GPS reception).

Seems it has some hickups. I was able to log the first two caches I found yesterday, now it keeps sending me to http://www.geocaching.com/error/500.htm when I try to log the next cache.

I seem to be getting the same thing on several pages.

1. If I try to open any cache page.

2. If I try to view my profile (as it would appear to someone else).

3. If I click on My Friends link from my profile.

4. If I try to view any trackable information page

5. If I click on My Account Details from my profile

There may be others...but something is not working correctly.

Thanks for listening.

PQ is messed up. I ran two PQ this morning and got an email that its ready. When I go to download tab, its not there.

Same here. Of the four I ran today only one, which is the only one larger than 500 results, is in the download section.

Are we not putting ALL PQs in the download anymore?

PQ is messed up. I ran two PQ this morning and got an email that its ready. When I go to download tab, its not there.

Same here. Of the four I ran today only one, which is the only one larger than 500 results, is in the download section.

Both of mine (<500) for today ran about 2:00 PM our time. Both came as attachments and in the download section. 2:00 PM is a little later than normal, but with the major upgrade it's to be expected.

Edited by W8TTS

Both of mine (<500) for today ran about 2:00 PM our time. Both came as attachments and in the download section. 2:00 PM is a little later than normal, but with the major upgrade it's to be expected.

It's weird here.

I copied one of the PQ's on my daughter's (PenguinChick) account & it ran. got the email, but it's not in the download section.

Two regularly scheduled PQ's ran, & they appear in the download section. However, the files that were downloaded appear to be dated internally (inside the gpx itself) as being from two days ago (the last time it ran) even though the last generated date states it was run today. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same files because I don't have them anymore.

Patience young grasshoppers:

I have no inside information, nor do I have any involvement in this migration. I have, however, been intimately involved in many migrations similar to this...

Right now several sleep-deprived, and now short-tempered, experts are trying to resolve a complicated issue with management breathing down their neck that it has to be fixed yesterday and that the villagers are coming with pitchforks & torches. They will constantly be interrupted with the question "when will it be fixed?" but will not have the answer. Yet every interruption will further delay the solution.

For now, it appears that the system is overloaded at some key point and lots of weird issues are happening as a result. Once resolved, the system should run faster than it did before switchover.

The issues will be resolved as soon as possible.

I have no inside information, nor do I have any involvement in this migration. I have, however, been intimately involved in many migrations similar to this...

Right now several sleep-deprived, and now short-tempered, experts are trying to resolve a complicated issue with management breathing down their neck that it has to be fixed yesterday and that the villagers are coming with pitchforks & torches. They will constantly be interrupted with the question "when will it be fixed?" but will not have the answer. Yet every interruption will further delay the solution.

For now, it appears that the system is overloaded at some key point and lots of weird issues are happening as a result. Once resolved, the system should run faster than it did before switchover.

I fully understand what they're up against...

I work in a simmilar enviorment, where during outtages such as this (or worse) I/we would get pulled off working on it every half hour to explan to some high up mucky muck and then each time he would spend 10 minutes ore more re-inforcing how important it was to get the issue resolved ASAP..

Finally having enough, I said, ""With all due respect, if its so Important, then let us keep working on it, vs sitting on this call evey 30 muinutes and then you telling us how important it is for 10 minutes...

As it stands, for every 30 minutes of troubleshooting, we have 20 minutes of no troubleshooting.

How about we appoint one person as the ""Updater"" and you let the rest of the crew work on it and we do updates every 2 hours.

So, maybe we'll have time enought to get something done to update everyone on..."

I kept my job and it seems to be working... :P

A nice summary of about every major upgrade since the invention of computers. :P

It's weird here.

I copied one of the PQ's on my daughter's (PenguinChick) account & it ran. got the email, but it's not in the download section.

Two regularly scheduled PQ's ran, & they appear in the download section. However, the files that were downloaded appear to be dated internally (inside the gpx itself) as being from two days ago (the last time it ran) even though the last generated date states it was run today. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same files because I don't have them anymore.

Just a followup - The ones that were messed up were ROUTE PQ's. I have since received non-route PQ's & they ran fine.

What I noticed is when I am in GC I can look up caches but from email notifications it gives me an error. And I get mixed messages from the iphone. Where my partner can log in on his and I can't then later he can't and I can.

Another thing I noticed is the option from email to look for a cache between the GC app and a browser is now gone. (for now?)

Hope that gets fixed, cause I like the option. I can see more detail on the browser but the app is faster.

To the Groundspeak IT people...

Good job! The new structure is really fast! Bet you got quite the story to tell. Now go home and get some sleep. :P