Pet Peeves

skyraider

A while ago on these forums, some one bragged about having kept one of those jeep TB. If I recall correctly, he was actually bragging. That cheeses me off. I commented that he had stolen it, and he said something like, "everyone else is doing it". Really? Are you in grade 4? I have been caching for almost 2 years and have never seen one of these before because people like him keep stealing them. Jerk!

Oh, you should have been around when they were releasing those things!! If my memory serves me correctly, the first issue (the Yellow ones) was 2004, and they released a new color every year for 4 years. People used to hoard them. That was sort of the official term for it here in the forums "Jeep Hoarding". Yep, people would just get one and keep it as their own, many even blatantly using them as personal mileage trackers!!

Now that you mention it, they are pretty rare these days. I'll bet a lot of people are still keeping them when they come across them. Losers. :huh:

I love to do tough terrain caches. Nothing irks me more than to drive an hour or so to get to a new 4 1/2 or 5 star terrain cache and find that it should be rated no more than a 2 1/2 or 3. No special equipment needed, and could be done with bedroom slippers on. There is a 4 1/2 star terrain cache near me that is only 23 feet away while still seated in my car. I can throw a rock and hit it!!! I did a recent 40 mile drive for a 5X5 that I completed in a 20 minute walk with no equipment needed. SOOO, anybody else feel this way?

I do. I enjoy the ones with long hikes as well. I did one that was supposedly on a very large hill and I believe it had a terrain rating of 4. I got there to find that the hill was about 30 feet tall, not a particularly difficult climb. Then there are the ones where they marked it wrong on the attributes. I've searched for caches in my area with the >10 km attribute and the majority of them are wrongly labelled. I was tempted to write a note on the log about it, but I decided to just ignore it instead.

Ditto. I've learned to cross reference maps, attributes and logs before I head out, but every now and then one will get through.

That, and people who drive slow in the left lane on the highway (grrrrr).

I hate micros thrown in a bush with a zillion other bushes around. There are literally hundreds of potential hiding spots. The cache owner gives a one star difficulty rating, leaves no hint and proclaims "it is an easy find".

I hate that others always find those caches easily, while they sit on my unfound list forever.

What about people who post hides As available in winter but not winter friendly, ie you can get to it in winter but if there is snow not so much....mind you I live in Wisconsin and on the 5th day of winter we had 3 inches of snow..

Winter doesn't even start until tomorrow.

I noticed that, but didn't say anything. :huh: Well, in Wisconsin, and where I am from, and Sbell111 is originally from, it tends to get a little cold and snowy before Winter offically arrives.

What about people who post hides As available in winter but not winter friendly, ie you can get to it in winter but if there is snow not so much....mind you I live in Wisconsin and on the 5th day of winter we had 3 inches of snow..

I noticed that, but didn't say anything. :huh: Well, in Wisconsin, and where I am from, and Sbell111 is originally from, it tends to get a little cold and snowy before Winter offically arrives.

Fond memories of Halloween snow...

I could go on about that for days. When I was driving to Dallas a couple of weeks ago, some guy was talking on his cell phone and driving down the left lane on the interstate. I pulled up behind him and flash my lights but he ignored it. I honked for about 10 seconds straight more than once but he ignored it. Eventually I passed him on the right, but only a few minutes later, he sped up and passed me again, and then it repeated. He even pissed off some trucker who had to pass on the right. It was about 20 mies later that he finally got in the right lane. Of course the cops would rather stop people who are going a few mph over the speed limit than those who are obstructing traffic...

Was this supposed to be pet peeves about geocaching? My mistake...

I could go on about that for days. When I was driving to Dallas a couple of weeks ago, some guy was talking on his cell phone and driving down the left lane on the interstate. I pulled up behind him and flash my lights but he ignored it. I honked for about 10 seconds straight more than once but he ignored it. Eventually I passed him on the right, but only a few minutes later, he sped up and passed me again, and then it repeated. He even pissed off some trucker who had to pass on the right. It was about 20 mies later that he finally got in the right lane. Of course the cops would rather stop people who are going a few mph over the speed limit than those who are obstructing traffic...

Was this supposed to be pet peeves about geocaching? My mistake...

It takes two to tango.

Cachers who post maintenance logs for "Log full". Turn the dang paper over! It has two sides dumpkopf! :huh:

(never fails that I check after one of these and there's a blank side to the log).

Hiders who stuff bison tubes with enough paper to hold 500 sigs. Seriously, paper is not scarce. Rolling that crap up gets old and the extra mostly gets torn up doing it anyway.

Operative word: peeve. Not p.o.'ed. People crack me up sometimes!

A while ago on these forums, some one bragged about having kept one of those jeep TB. If I recall correctly, he was actually bragging. That cheeses me off. I commented that he had stolen it, and he said something like, "everyone else is doing it". Really? Are you in grade 4? I have been caching for almost 2 years and have never seen one of these before because people like him keep stealing them. Jerk!

Wait a minute.. did you say "that cheeses me off"? I must be a little slow on the uptake here.. or I don't get around as much as I thought I did. Never heard of being cheesed off. You from Wisconsin? :huh::P

Wow, I thought that was a common term. No I am from a cheese deprived region of Canada. I did however visit a cheese factory while on vacation when I was a kid.

Next thing that cheeses me off: Finders complaining that the coordinates are off by 5m (or anything less than 10m for that matter).

Swag pet peeve: condoms in caches. Thanks for the offer, but I'll stick to buying them at the drug store, thanks.

I pulled up behind him and flash my lights but he ignored it.

That reminds me of the autobahn in Germany. You get ready to pass someone, and you make one quick check of the left lane before you swing into pass, just to make sure there is no one coming. Yet, by the time you've gotten yourself settled in the right lane to pass someone... WHAM... there's an Audi A8 on your butt with his lights flashing for you to hurry up and move.

It takes two to tango.

So what would you have done, dangerously passed him on the right (which I eventually had to do anyway) or followed him 100 miles to Dallas?

You could have been ticketed (or killed) playing the game that you were playing, so why bother?

You pulled behind someone and flashed your lights. Then you layed on your horn in ten second bursts, multiple times. You peaved him off with your behavior. This resulted in the resulting back and forth shenanigans, which you could have ended at any moment simply by giving up the fight. You chose not to because your road rage was driving you, rather than being the safe driver that you should have been.

To answer your question, yes. I would have passed the slower car on the right rather than do what you did.

Edited by sbell111

<!--quoteo(post=4560033:date=Dec 15 2010, 10:34 PM:name=HighHeeled Dutchess)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HighHeeled Dutchess @ Dec 15 2010, 10:34 PM) 4560033[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I guess there is egg on my face on that one...oh well...then if it is now winter...we have already had 4 good snow falls and I have 11 inches of snow in my front yard. So my comment is still valid. I guess if we had a available in late fall attribute....

<!--quoteo(post=4560033:date=Dec 15 2010, 10:34 PM:name=HighHeeled Dutchess)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HighHeeled Dutchess @ Dec 15 2010, 10:34 PM) 4560033[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I guess there is egg on my face on that one...oh well...then if it is now winter...we have already had 4 good snow falls and I have 11 inches of snow in my front yard. So my comment is still valid. I guess if we had a available in late fall attribute....

We need a "snow and ice friendly" attribute. Get rid of the "winter-friendly" attribute. Who cares if a park is open in the winter if you can't get access to the cache. It's about the cache not the park. I agree with HHD - he has a valid pet peeve.

We need a "snow and ice friendly" attribute. Get rid of the "winter-friendly" attribute. Who cares if a park is open in the winter if you can't get access to the cache. It's about the cache not the park. I agree with HHD - he has a valid pet peeve.
I bet that he is a she. Edited by sbell111