Pet Peeves

skyraider

I love to do tough terrain caches. Nothing irks me more than to drive an hour or so to get to a new 4 1/2 or 5 star terrain cache and find that it should be rated no more than a 2 1/2 or 3. No special equipment needed, and could be done with bedroom slippers on. There is a 4 1/2 star terrain cache near me that is only 23 feet away while still seated in my car. I can throw a rock and hit it!!! I did a recent 40 mile drive for a 5X5 that I completed in a 20 minute walk with no equipment needed. SOOO, anybody else feel this way? What's your Pet Peeve?

• Micros listed as small.
  • Micros listed as small to avoid filtering by those that filter out micros.
  • Nanos listed as unknown, instead of micro.
  • Micros listed as unknown, instead of micro (when there's no reason to be secretive about the size).
  • Micros placed only because they are cheap and easy to hide. Rather then the site's initial intended purpose - to be placed in an interesting location you want to bring cachers to, where a larger cache won't fit)
  • Caches placed for the sole purpose to up a find or place count.

Edited by Lone R

Oh yeah, and.....

• people who archive their cache then leave it in the woods to become trash
  • people who hide a cache without checking to see if there's one nearby, then leave it to become trash when the reviewer doesn't approve it.
  • teachers/leaders who assign their students a cache project that includes students hiding and posting caches. Then never check the cache for accuracy, durability, guideline infractions before the cache gets posted. And don't make sure that the kids maintain those caches.

Wow that's a lot of peeves. But I have to say that the rewards of geocaching far outweigh the peeves.

Edited by Lone R
  • Micros listed as unknown, instead of micro (when there's no reason to be secretive about the size).
  • Micros placed only because they are cheap and easy to hide. Rather then the site's initial intended purpose - to be placed in an interesting location you want to bring cachers to, where a larger cache won't fit)

+1

Also Micros placed where a larger cache could have been placed! :anicute:

What's your Pet Peeve?

Other players in this wonderful all volunteer sport/hobby/activity with entitlement and control issues. :)

I have caches in California that are right this minute and for more than half of the year ARE 5/5s or near it.

In the summer one of my most popular 5/5s is more like a 3.5/4 if you hike it or a 5/4 by car because you would neeeeed 4wd to tackle an 18% grade rutted hill.

About once every 3 years or so I get a nastygram from someone that needs to correct my T/D level and they completely forget to realize what a great spot I took them to. :)

I never hesitate to thank them for the smug superior feeling they gave me. :anicute:

Honestly, my biggest pet peeve is myself. I know that sounds a little cynical, but I feel that with almost 200 caches, I should have improved at least a LITTLE bit in finding difficult caches... But no. I still DNF on 1/1 caches on a regular basis. In fact, my most recent DNF was on a 1/1 cache because the darn fence post cap was on too tight.

So yes--I am my own pet peeve in this game.

My pet peeve - A lot of cachers in my area - but noones putting new ones out! I've got a few in the pipeline to put out after Xmas when I'm on holiday - but I think theres only been two new caches in my area in the past month or so - one of which was one of mine!

My peeve cos I've found the 200 caches within 100-150km. Well almost all. Theres an earthcache in the middle of nowhere and two caches about 100km away I've been leaving until I do a cache run up central.

Oh yeah, and.....

• people who archive their cache then leave it in the woods to become trash
  • people who hide a cache without checking to see if there's one nearby, then leave it to become trash when the reviewer doesn't approve it.
  • teachers/leaders who assign their students a cache project that includes students hiding and posting caches. Then never check the cache for accuracy, durability, guideline infractions before the cache gets posted. And don't make sure that the kids maintain those caches.

Wow that's a lot of peeves. But I have to say that the rewards of geocaching far outweigh the peeves.

...and

• People who do not maintain their caches
  • People who archive their caches instaed of doing a maintanence run. Think disposable caches which oddly enough seem to be...guess what? MICROS!
  • People who place so many caches that to maintain them properly is impossible.

Cachers who whine about wet unsignable logs, yet never carry extra logs so they can replace wet, unsignable logs.

Not really an obligation of a cache seeker. It is courteous but cache owners should not expect it.

Same as a full log being replaced. If you place a cache, you should be prepared to perform the maintenance AND check on your caches from time to time.

Cachers who whine about wet unsignable logs, yet never carry extra logs so they can replace wet, unsignable logs.

Not really an obligation of a cache seeker. It is courteous but cache owners should not expect it.

Same as a full log being replaced. If you place a cache, you should be prepared to perform the maintenance AND check on your caches from time to time.

I agree. It's a NICE courtesy, like washing your windshield when you get your oil changed, but not expected.

I agree. It's a NICE courtesy, like washing your windshield when you get your oil changed, but not expected.

Yes a courtesy, and one that isn't always a good idea. A soggy log often indicates a bad choice of container, so not only should the log be replaced but so should the container. Regarding a full log, as a CO I certainly would not appreciate someone taking the logbook and replacing it with a new one. I like to keep our cache logbooks. If there's room in the cache for a piece of paper to tide the cache over for a few days, until I can get to the cache, that would be appreciated.

Yes a courtesy, and one that isn't always a good idea. A soggy log often indicates a bad choice of container, so not only should the log be replaced but so should the container. Regarding a full log, as a CO I certainly would not appreciate someone taking the logbook and replacing it with a new one. I like to keep our cache logbooks. If there's room in the cache for a piece of paper to tide the cache over for a few days, until I can get to the cache, that would be appreciated.

He wasn't complaining about wet logs, or that people whine about them, he wanted the person who found the cache to do the maintenance and leave it at that. Let the guy have his pet peeve.

When someone takes their pet peeve for a walk and doesn't clean up after it.

I have a cache in a Park that is well disguised, most finders are pooped after searching for it. It looks so real most won't pick it up. It has never been muggled, and it is in plain sight.

My Pet Peeve is Group Cachers that log 5/5 caches and never leave their vehicles. I would never put ink on the paper, or claim it as a find. That is right next to Arm Chair logging in my opinion. :)

I hate micros thrown in a bush with a zillion other bushes around. There are literally hundreds of potential hiding spots. The cache owner gives a one star difficulty rating, leaves no hint and proclaims "it is an easy find".

I am new to this but have came across a few of these. Only reasonable hiding spots nearby are bushes, there are about 5, and it is in a high traffic area where you would look suspicious digging through them. A hint would be nice to at least start at the right bush!

I hate micros thrown in a bush with a zillion other bushes around. There are literally hundreds of potential hiding spots. The cache owner gives a one star difficulty rating, leaves no hint and proclaims "it is an easy find".

I am new to this but have came across a few of these. Only reasonable hiding spots nearby are bushes, there are about 5, and it is in a high traffic area where you would look suspicious digging through them. A hint would be nice to at least start at the right bush!

Oh, man.. This x 100. Trying to come back after dark only makes it worse. But thanks for reminding me of one really frustrating one I have to go back for. Think I will take my coffee and go right now. :)

Unmaintained caches that have been reported as needing service for months.

This is the worst. There's one in my area that had a Needs Maintenance logged in early 2009. When I found it on the site, there were no logs since, but the title and description had been edited to contain, "Retired - no longer exists." It hadn't been archived or disabled. This is just absolutely ridiculous. I of course logged a Needs Archived over a month ago, but it has yet to be archived. This is probably the worst example, but there are many with multiple DNF logs and no response from the cache owner. The reviewers should be much quicker to disable and archive these caches.

I love to do tough terrain caches. Nothing irks me more than to drive an hour or so to get to a new 4 1/2 or 5 star terrain cache and find that it should be rated no more than a 2 1/2 or 3. No special equipment needed, and could be done with bedroom slippers on. There is a 4 1/2 star terrain cache near me that is only 23 feet away while still seated in my car. I can throw a rock and hit it!!! I did a recent 40 mile drive for a 5X5 that I completed in a 20 minute walk with no equipment needed. SOOO, anybody else feel this way?

I do. I enjoy the ones with long hikes as well. I did one that was supposedly on a very large hill and I believe it had a terrain rating of 4. I got there to find that the hill was about 30 feet tall, not a particularly difficult climb. Then there are the ones where they marked it wrong on the attributes. I've searched for caches in my area with the >10 km attribute and the majority of them are wrongly labelled. I was tempted to write a note on the log about it, but I decided to just ignore it instead.

Another thing that annoys me is caches in high-muggle areas. It's one thing if they're in areas that sometimes have a lot of people and you have to get there at the right time, but the ones on busy highways that are hard to grab even at night are ridiculous. Sometimes I grab it even with people watching and sometimes I just drive off.

Cachers that don't log their DNFs

As a cache owner this one really bugs me. I had 2 caches that just went silent this spring with no mention from anyone that there might be an issue. Since they were usually found once or twice a month, I got suspicious and headed out to check on them. Sure enough, they were gone. If someone had just bothered to write a note to let me know that there was an issue, they could have saved others the frustration of looking for a cache that wasn't there anymore. I'm proud to log my DNFs...they let the cache owner know that there may be an issue and they are a record of my failures (and sometimes my later triumphs) in my caching. I don't find every cache I set out to find (not even CLOSE to every cache) and the DNFs are a fun part of my caching history when I go check out my caching history.

Cachers that don't log their DNFs

As a cache owner this one really bugs me. I had 2 caches that just went silent this spring with no mention from anyone that there might be an issue. Since they were usually found once or twice a month, I got suspicious and headed out to check on them. Sure enough, they were gone. If someone had just bothered to write a note to let me know that there was an issue, they could have saved others the frustration of looking for a cache that wasn't there anymore. I'm proud to log my DNFs...they let the cache owner know that there may be an issue and they are a record of my failures (and sometimes my later triumphs) in my caching. I don't find every cache I set out to find (not even CLOSE to every cache) and the DNFs are a fun part of my caching history when I go check out my caching history.

concur.

dnf's are not failures, you just didn't find tupperware in the forest.

A new cacher in my area placed 4 caches in the last week. All 4 have 'abar" in the hint field. I didn't decrypt that, I've come to know over the years that abar = none. The instructions on the report a new listing form clearly say "if you don't have a hint, leave it blank". I would consider "none" not having a hint, wouldn't you? :huh:

A while ago on these forums, some one bragged about having kept one of those jeep TB. If I recall correctly, he was actually bragging. That cheeses me off. I commented that he had stolen it, and he said something like, "everyone else is doing it". Really? Are you in grade 4? I have been caching for almost 2 years and have never seen one of these before because people like him keep stealing them. Jerk!

Edited by Andronicus

A while ago on these forums, some one bragged about having kept one of those jeep TB. If I recall correctly, he was actually bragging. That cheeses me off. I commented that he had stolen it, and he said something like, "everyone else is doing it". Really? Are you in grade 4? I have been caching for almost 2 years and have never seen one of these before because people like him keep stealing them. Jerk!

Wait a minute.. did you say "that cheeses me off"? I must be a little slow on the uptake here.. or I don't get around as much as I thought I did. Never heard of being cheesed off. You from Wisconsin? :huh::P

Edited by bflentje