Remove a Souvenir

djhobby

I just received a souvenir badge from Germany even though I've never found a cache there. I did "find" a Locationless cache years ago that was German that I guess counts toward the souvenirs, but in my opinion they shouldn't. Is there any way to remove one badge? And what happened to the "Web Sight Issues" forum which is where this should have been posted?

I just received a souvenir badge from Germany even though I've never found a cache there. I did "find" a Locationless cache years ago that was German that I guess counts toward the souvenirs, but in my opinion they shouldn't. Is there any way to remove one badge? And what happened to the "Web Sight Issues" forum which is where this should have been posted?

I have this exact problem. This virtual cache also screws up my stats on mycachingprofile.com. Maybe Groundspeak could change it to a locationless cache, since the other locationless caches don't have this problem.

I posted to this feedback thread:

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/7577...cationless-find

I have a similar issue - I got the souvenir for Georgia, even though I've never cached there, because I found a moving cache elsewhere that's listed in Georgia.

Edit: Ah, I just got a German souvenir, as well, for a place I haven't visited. Locationless cache.

I guess that's two "bonus" souvenirs for me.

Edited by hydnsek

It's a beautiful souvenir though, isn't it?

What the heck? I'll keep mine if I can :anicute:

Not like we're in some race with them or anything.

As a recent post Jeremy's blog reminds us, if somebody sends you something unsolicited, it is a gift for you to keep! So enjoy the artwork. I have souvenirs from places that I have never been because a family member or loved one thought of me when they were traveling. I have gotten a souvenir from a locationless or moving cache - perhaps it will inspire me to visit the actual location one of these days. Until then, it reminds me of how much I enjoyed these particular caches.

A couple of years ago, my daughter asked if anybody looked at each other's geocoin icons on the site. I told here that I hoped not, that person would have way too much time on their hands. The same goes for souvenirs.

But for those who don't like the way that a particular cache affects statistics, I guess the log could be deleted -- although this might not be possible since the locationless are locked. I am not going to try since I enjoyed the locationless far more than I am bothered by the statistical anomalies they present.

Edited by mulvaney

I find the souvenirs meaningless or worse, since they don't accurately reflect places I have actually been. I guess I don't see it as being "gifted" with some wonderful piece of artwork either. If I get junk mail in the mail, I can throw it away, it's not permanently pinned to my house! :anicute:

I'd just like to opt out of souvenirs entirely.

It's a beautiful souvenir though, isn't it?

What the heck? I'll keep mine if I can :anicute:

Not like we're in some race with them or anything.

I have gotten a souvenir from a locationless or moving cache - perhaps it will inspire me to visit the actual location one of these days.

That's a great idea! Maybe one day I'll get to Germany to actually find a cache in that area. :)

I feel so left out. I only have souvenirs for caches and events I have actually found or attended. :anicute:

On the other paw, I don't pay any attention to the souvenirs so I had to go check.

Yes my three locationless caches makes me so much more a cache whore compared to your two... :)

Edited by edscott
I liked the Souvenirs.

They are a nice little extra feature for the enjoyment of our hobby.

But now after the upgrade they have vanished.

I hope they can be brought back.

The nice thing about Souvenirs is that, since they are derived from your finds (is this always true? :P), they can be regenerated.

I'm guessing that they aren't backed up separately, possibly because they're new; maybe that will change after this release, especially if the regeneration results in everyone getting new "you have been awarded" e-mails for each of their souvenirs.

...since the other locationless caches don't have this problem.

I thought both locationless and moving caches where having the same issue.

You want to opt out? Clicking the souvenir tab is optional. There you go.

I never said I wanted to opt out. I like the souvenirs. I just didn't want one that I didn't earn.

I think the upgrade did something because I had 5 or so and now I don't have any.

Post from Moun10Bike in the feedback forum:

"I've changed Four Windows to a Locationless Cache which should prevent similar issues in the future. I will also enter a task in the database to re-run the souvenir for Niedersachsen so that those who were awarded it due to this cache can have it removed (I've already entered similar tasks for other souvenirs so affected)."

I have this exact problem. This virtual cache also screws up my stats on mycachingprofile.com. Maybe Groundspeak could change it to a locationless cache, since the other locationless caches don't have this problem.

Interesting trade off. Groundspeak has changed Four Windows from a Virtual to a Locationless cache, to avoid the problem of awarding the Niedersachsen souvenir to people who had never found a cache in Niedersachsen. In changing it to a Locationless cache, Groundspeak has now awarded the Locationless icon to thousands of people who had never found a Locationless cache (including the OP). There are certainly a lot of people who wishd they had had the opportunity to get that icon, but who joined after they were archived. Now thousands do! All to avoid awarding a frivolous souvenir?!?

Very strange trade off. Someone did not think this through.

I never said I wanted to opt out. I like the souvenirs. I just didn't want one that I didn't earn.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The second statement was directed to the "opt-outitans" that have recently invaded the forums. I should have made that more apparent.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The second statement was directed to the "opt-outitans" that have recently invaded the forums. I should have made that more apparent.

Implementing an opt-out function for specific caches could be somewhat tricky. Suppose I had a moving cache that resulting in awarding a souvenir for Texas. Since I've never actually found a cache in Texas I might want to opt-out on that one. Then suppose maybe a month later I did travel to Texas and found a cache there. Will the opt-out keep me from *ever* getting a souvenir from Texas again?

Actually, the reason I picked Texas is that I'm going to have a 1.5 hour layover in Dallas on the way to Costa Rica in February. Assuming the Texas souvenir is available by then I'm debating whether I should turn on my phone and do a search with the Geocaching app to see if I get the souvenir.

It was a cache that could be logged from anywhere in the world. It sure fits the locationless category better than it fit the virtual category, since virtuals are tied to a specific set of coordinates.

Moun10Bike, do you know if there are plans to change the icons for any other Virtuals that are really Locationless? For example, the Pennsylvania NGS Benchmark Recovery Cache, which was described as a Locationless by the reviewer and referred to Groundspeak a couple of years ago... Groundspeak ruled that it's a grandfathered cache that is allowed to exist in its current form, a decision that was reaffirmed by the reviewer a few months ago. It's most definitely a Locationless cache - updating that icon as well would make things a lot more clear?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

It was a cache that could be logged from anywhere in the world. It sure fits the locationless category better than it fit the virtual category, since virtuals are tied to a specific set of coordinates.

Moun10Bike, do you know if there are plans to change the icons for any other Virtuals that are really Locationless? For example, the Pennsylvania NGS Benchmark Recovery Cache, which was described as a Locationless by the reviewer and referred to Groundspeak a couple of years ago... Groundspeak ruled that it's a grandfathered cache that is allowed to exist in its current form, a decision that was reaffirmed by the reviewer a few months ago. It's most definitely a Locationless cache - updating that icon as well would make things a lot more clear?

I think that changing this cache (or any other like this one) to locationless would cause immediate archiving of these caches (locationless caches are not allowed). Is it really what you want? To archive them??

Edited by k-lord

I think that changing this cache (or any other like this one) to locationless would cause immediate archiving of these caches (locationless caches are not allowed). Is it really what you want? To archive them??

Considering that it is either a locationless cache or a virtual that doesn't require you to visit its actual coordinates it probably should be archived anyway. But not my call.

Is it really what you want? To archive them??

Not in the least. I have no interest in seeing anything archived; this cache in particular has been specifically addressed by Groundspeak and the local reviewer as a grandfathered listing, and I have every confidence that it was a fully informed and robust decision.

I'm only asking about straightening out the icon.