Logging TBs at an event cache question

I'm a little stumped about TB etiquette and I'd like to get your opinions. Feel free to speak your mind.

At an event cache I was at recently, people were taking the numbers for different TBs that were brought to the event. Everyone logged the TBs even though only one person walked away with each TB. Is this acceptable TB behavior?

If it is acceptable, what is the best way to do it?

Can I assume by the relative lack of responses that this is acceptable? If so, then I am going to rack up a few TBs at the next event.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

As far as multiple people logging a single

TB....I'm still undecided.

The thing I've noticed is that when there

is a planned 'cache event'....people will

take and hold onto TB's for WEEKS prior to the event so that they can be brought there.

I, personally, would rather see my TB's moving

at a little quicker pace than that.

It gets kinda boring when your TB is held for a long period of time.

quote:
Originally posted by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking:

Can I assume by the relative lack of responses that this is acceptable? If so, then I am going to rack up a few TBs at the next event.

I would hazard a guess and say each of us has our own personal threshold. I personally would only log the bugs that I walked away with from the event.

I can see where some might want to log them so they could keep track of them, or else they wanted them on their cache page sort of like a trophy.

Either way, it's not like it's harming anything. The original owner will know that these people all came in contact with their bug at an event. It gives the bug some more history.

5307_1000.gif

Webfoot

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.

I don't think I'll release a TB at an event any more. With the size of events we have here, it ends up being logged by like... 9 people. And not in order. So it gets all weird. It worked out okay for me this time, but if one of the people logging had been a newbie, my bug might have been doomed out of the gates.

If you don't have the bug... and weren't the last to place it... just don't log it. That's what I'd like to see on my bugs at least. Then the logs don't get messed up and my bug doesn't end up 'being' in a cache it's not really in.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

Yes it was a bit of chaos. According to the event webpage, there are about 18 bugs still there. Those who truly have it logged it, but then others snagged it and took it out of their inventories. So who knows what happens to them now.

My two have since been placed elsewhere and are all properly placed.

I think the proper thing to do would be to log only the bugs you take into your possession & plan to help along their journey. Just seeing a bug on the table at an event is no reason to log it. Talk about making a mess of a bug's travels. People have enough trouble logging them properly anyway...

In fact, I would probably delete any extraneous logs of that nature from one of my bugs.

An event is as good as any cache for moving a bug along. I have no problem with bugs being logged into and out of events. Unless the bug's goal is to be the first bug logged by 1000 cachers, though, I don't agree with the mass-chaotic logging as described by Mike & Viking.

As for chaos, it sometimes helps to virtually drop travel bugs in events caches prior to arriving. Yes only one person will take TB away and it is reasonable that they will grab it when they post their presence at event. Hopefully it had been dropped, if not I will try to wait a day or so, but not too long before grabbing.

Some others may acknowledge that they have seen a traveller along the way even if they do not move it. Whether it is at a special event, bug hotel, or any other cache, the procedure that I use is to log my find by posting a NOTE and removing the checkmark so that TB does not end up in my hands and that way I do not have to drop it back where I saw it. This does not effect the mileage and tends not to grab out from someone elses hands or a cache that bug has since been move to by another. This note usually has message why the bug was not or could not be moved, moreover it may also include a photo. The TB owner may choice to delete these notes. But the note writer gets the bug added to their personal total of TBs found, which I assume would be the reason someone would hangout at bug box at special event while others may socialize in other ways.

Val (May be late, but always on time.)

Thanks for the tip on how to do it. I'm not familiar enough with TBs and logging them to know the best way to get redit for it.

Yes, it's chaos for bugs at geo-events, but that chaos tends to settle out within 48 hours for the actual final holder.

In Northern Calif and apparently most other places, it's okay to do sequential multiple cacher logs. It shows the bug participated in a big event, and was seen by many happy cachers. And to those it matters-- both bug find numbers and cacher found this bug numbers get fluffed.

I try to bring a half dozen bugs to events (and can find this many in just one week). I tend to trade 1:1 or 1:2 give:take (since there's always extras).

At my bug hotel, I do way more drops than harvests. 300 bug finds is too many to carry on my cacher's page, and now I'm nearing 400.