One Man, 24 Hours, 1020 Finds

lexmano

It would be nice if some other geocaching achievements got as much recognition as those that "found" a lot of caches in a single day. The recent thread about Hidensek's three years of negotiating with the National Park Service that resulted the allowance of physical caches placed in a National Park in Washington didn't get nearly the number of congratulatory responses that have been posted in this thread. About a month ago I wrote a post about finding geocaches on four different continents in the last year. I suspect that the number of geocachers that have found geocaches on 3 or more continents is far fewer than the number of geocachers that have "found" 300 or more caches on a power trail, yet the thread I started only had 5 responses.

I agree. Unfortunately people are impressed by numbers, but Hydnseek's achievement dwarfs any numbers run. Same for any geocacher who works with land managers to gain acceptance of our sport. THOSE are the people who deserve salutes.

I respect both of you and your achievements in caching, but I must disagree with your comments here.

I presume you are referring to this THREAD?

I did not see either of you commenting in it.

It garnered 11 positive replies, plus the OP. A 12th post was by Hydnseek thanking people for posting. Then it died off after one day. It was sad, I don't think everyone fully understood the significance.

I'm sorry that NYP's thread never took off. It looks to me like it got 11 responses, not 5. And no one claimed that you had not done it or debated the politics of caching in China.

This thread got 3 positive responses before the first doubter. Then one positive and then a claim that it was not possible, in effect calling it a lie. That was post 7, after which the thread took off as a debate about the ER trail and power trails in general.

I think if I am ever out west and do this trail I will be sure not to mention it here.

Welcome to the internets. Controversy and gnashing of teeth results in more views and posts/counterposts than any single topic with a positive, generally agreeable message.

We a doomed race of interweb dwellers. Abandon hope all ye who press "enter".

It would be nice if some other geocaching achievements got as much recognition as those that "found" a lot of caches in a single day. The recent thread about Hidensek's three years of negotiating with the National Park Service that resulted the allowance of physical caches placed in a National Park in Washington didn't get nearly the number of congratulatory responses that have been posted in this thread.
I agree. Unfortunately people are impressed by numbers, but Hydnseek's achievement dwarfs any numbers run. Same for any geocacher who works with land managers to gain acceptance of our sport. THOSE are the people who deserve salutes.

To be fair, these threads usually fill up with some congrats, a bunch of people taking swipes at the power cacher, and then get dominated by back-and-forths between pro-, anti-, and icecream- power caching forces. I don't think just looking at thread length or how quickly things fall off the front page is a good way to measure platitudes or community respect.

Hydnseek's accomplishment was fantastic, and she got nothing but unanimous love in that thread. In contrast, the cacher in question in *this* thread (who didn't start the discussion nor has he contributed to it) would click on a link to discover a number of folks who feel no qualms about making insulting comments about his caching.

I'd take hydnseek's treatment over the treatment in this thread in a heartbeat.

I've driven this highway a time or two before geocaching was around. It's an awesome place and I hope the power trail runners aren't messing it up.

When I drive it again, I'll grab one cache. That's my goal. Maybe replace a film can with an ammo can too! I'd just like to see the scenery again.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

Actually, I never said it couldn't be done, or that it wasn't done. I said, "so what"

Personal achievements are just that...personal. No one else cares what anyone else achieved.

I think others care about people's achievements only if it helps someone else, or helps many others.

So I have to agree here with, so what?

While it may certainly be true that you don't care about the achievements of others, you are apparently in the minority. Many people have taken the time to either congratulate the individual on his achievement or insult him because of it. I'd say that these people care (one way or the other) about the achievements of others.

Yes, I get that. I'm just saying that his achievement is personal to him. Folks posting think it's cool. But there's really nothing to be congratulated. Nothing was done, except one person fulfilling his need. I know the power trail person wasn't the OP...but I find it odd to post a thread to highlight someone's personal goal. I suppose others caches can "look up" to this person. Just seems trivial.

Kind of like if I posted a thread telling everyone I finally figured out how to load PQs. Who cares? Just me.

The thread is interesting, though, because of all the discussion about whether it's an achievement or not. Lol.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay
I'm a bit suprised by the notion that you can see the next cache from the one you're currently on, but there you go.

I haven't done the series, so I can't speak personally, but a good friend who did them told me this. In certain areas the caches are hidden exactly the same way, near a prominent object that he said you can easily see from far away.

The others in the series are not as easily seen, and you need to use a GPS to get there.

1 minute 24.7 seconds to drive 528 ft, get out of the car, open cache, sticker/sign log, jump back in car, repeat. That's assuming he never took a break.

Impressive if true.

And I think that proves it can't be done.

1020 caches / 24 hours in a day = 42.5 caches per hour.

500 caches by 10am means for the first 10 hours he would have driven to the site of each cache, found the cache, and signed the log at a rate of 50 per hour. That's almost one a minute. Think about it. It simply couldn't be done.

I did fifty in an hour on a solo run. Then I drove about fifty miles and did another fifty in an hour.

Then, I got board and went camping.

Actually, I never said it couldn't be done, or that it wasn't done. I said, "so what"

Actually, this is exactly what you said in post #7

I'm lost. Are DomandKitty and JesandTodd the same person? Looks like post #7 isn't JesandTodd

My bad!

I got them confused. My apologies

congratulations on the personal achievement...One day when in Nevada, I would like to try sections of the trail just to see what it is like (also, I want to try the alien head portion). But I could never imagine, one person doing 1020 caches in a 24hr period...alone and signing logs...the stamina and mental fortitude is impressive.

With all the back and forth I would like to mention that the cacher who made the run has not posted, he is not in here bragging and claiming a record so it's wrong to assume how he feels about it. THe OP made one post to tell about it and left so no bragging there. In short this thread is not what I expected it to be, another World record claim for most caches found in 24 hours, so I'll simply say congratulations to the cacher for having the determination to see his self assigned task through to the end when so many of us would have quit.

With all the back and forth I would like to mention that the cacher who made the run has not posted, he is not in here bragging and claiming a record so it's wrong to assume how he feels about it. THe OP made one post to tell about it and left so no bragging there. In short this thread is not what I expected it to be, another World record claim for most caches found in 24 hours, so I'll simply say congratulations to the cacher for having the determination to see his self assigned task through to the end when so many of us would have quit.

Since I have driven this highway about nine times before the PT was established, and having full knowledge of the hazards. I'm going to try to avoid a forum ban by saying that I think that this is totally irresponsible, (the word I wanted to use starts with a S and ends with a D).

There is a reason why they pull truckers off the road after 12 hours of time. They do the same for Railroad Engineers. What makes you so special that you can drive down the highway for 26 straight hours?

I've seen studies where fatigued drivers were actually more dangerous than drunk drivers that are over the legal alcohol limit.

Congrats on your accomplishment. I'm glad that you pulled it off without a cow on your hood, or waking up nose first in a ditch. For the rest of us that have to drive America's Highways, please don't pull this stunt again.

Don J I think you are a little confused. Driver fatigue comes from driving long distances and falling into a trance of sort. You get sleepy - very sleepy. This fella drove 528 feet at a time. Getting in and out at each stop. No "driver fatigue" issues here. The only fatigue type issue is at the end of the day and just like a marathon runner, you still have to get home at the end of the day so I hope his drive home was short and he had enough adrenaline in him to get home safe. Congratz! I can't wait to see the post of the next cacher who completes this amazing accomplishment!

Edited by MoFryFam

So, I guess me only having 1 hr of sleep in two days pales in comparison to that poor, hard working cacher who is digging up film canisters in the desert and thinking of himself as some sort of hero.

I hope the caches weren't buried, because that would be against the guidelines.

Please don't compare work to recreation. It's a completely different ballpark.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

1 minute 24.7 seconds to drive 528 ft, get out of the car, open cache, sticker/sign log, jump back in car, repeat. That's assuming he never took a break.

Impressive if true.

And I think that proves it can't be done.

1020 caches / 24 hours in a day = 42.5 caches per hour.

500 caches by 10am means for the first 10 hours he would have driven to the site of each cache, found the cache, and signed the log at a rate of 50 per hour. That's almost one a minute. Think about it. It simply couldn't be done.

I agree. It's not possible. Period. So, don't buy into it. We have local cachers who claim to have done the E.T. Hwy. series, 1,020 caches, IN 13 HOURS !!!!

Why do cachers, some of the smartest people on the planet when it comes to numbers/stats, buy into these wild claims ??

It's baffling.

I like the power trails and I like the hard to find that takes all day. We have a power trail near my house called Oklahoma Land Run East that me and my wife do in the afternoon waiting on the kids to get out of school. I congratulate this guy for his feat. I also congratulate hydenseeks on her feat. They are both awesome feats.

But to put it in perspective, the U.S. soldiers, past and current, are real heroes. Police, fire, and rescue, ems, and all other entities that protect and serve, they are heroes. Cachers, baseball players, football players, or any athlete performing in their sport, are not heroes.

That does not take away from the feats of accomplishments, great or small, personal or public. Accomplishing anything that takes time, patience, or special knowledge should be celebrated.