One Man, 24 Hours, 1020 Finds

lexmano

I see, so now that we are starting to believe that this achievement really DID happen, we need to discredit it as not being a TRUE achievement compared to others? Honestly an achievement is what you make it. If you feel the nee to pat yourself on the back about what YOU consider a Geocaching achievement, go post another thread about it.

I got the impression that NYPaddleCacher was just trying to point out that the most comments go to the numbers runners, without as many accolades going to those who cache in different yet impressive ways. Not that they were trying to belittle the cachers who do go for numbers runs. Personally I think NYPaddleCacher's caching in many countries is very impressive and I think the ET trail people have a touch of heatstroke (but that is my personal opinion).

That doesn't appear to be the way that you took their post.

Most of you nay-saying retired hippie granola eating tree huggers probably would consider EVERY cache an achievement of some roundabout essence of life BS reasoning.... and if that is the case, then Marcipanek made 1023 of these achievements in less than 24 hours.

Deal with it. Let's see any of you stay up for 28 hours doing this? The man is darned impressive. Stop trying to take away from what he did. You don't see him, or I, or Lexmano (poster of this thread) putting anyone else's "achievements" down....

I see, so now that we are starting to believe that this achievement really DID happen, we need to discredit it as not being a TRUE achievement compared to others? Honestly an achievement is what you make it. If you feel the nee to pat yourself on the back about what YOU consider a Geocaching achievement, go post another thread about it.

I got the impression that NYPaddleCacher was just trying to point out that the most comments go to the numbers runners, without as many accolades going to those who cache in different yet impressive ways. Not that they were trying to belittle the cachers who do go for numbers runs. Personally I think NYPaddleCacher's caching in many countries is very impressive and I think the ET trail people have a touch of heatstroke (but that is my personal opinion).

Most of you nay-saying retired hippie granola eating tree huggers probably would consider EVERY cache an achievement of some roundabout essence of life BS reasoning.... and if that is the case, then Marcipanek made 1023 of these achievements in less than 24 hours.

Deal with it. Let's see any of you stay up for 28 hours doing this? The man is darned impressive. Stop trying to take away from what he did. You don't see him, or I, or Lexmano (poster of this thread) putting anyone else's "achievements" down....

What a tool, seriously!

somebody just had to say it :P

Edited by M 5

What a tool, seriously!

somebody just had to say it :P

Proudly ;-)

As one of the doubters in this thread, who used numbers to support his argument, I'm happy to take it back since so many people have said that it is possible because they've done similar feats on smaller scales. I'm a bit suprised by the notion that you can see the next cache from the one you're currently on, but there you go. For me, that takes away half the fun of finding it. The other half being the journey to find the right spot.

The way I see it, to maintain that sort of pace, stamina and determination is to be applauded and congratulated. If it is true, it's a remarkable achievement.

As for me? Doing something like that holds no interest, but I do understand that it does for other people. Go knock your socks off on a power trail if that floats your boat. Not for me, but we're all different. I'm not sure if we have anything that matches this sort of thing in the UK, but if we did and I was near it, I'd probably do 4 or 5 at a time and gradually seek to complete it over a few years.

There. Does that appease some of the more 'frustrated' posters on this thread?

What intrigues me is that I do not have the means to Geocache on FOUR different continents, but it IS within my means to go to Nevada and do this run myself, so it is nice to see what a determined cacher CAN do with a feat of strength and stamina. :P

Wow, bitter much?

Honestly, who cares? If he did to this cache run, then whoppty-do. Whether he did it or not, its still quite a lame achievement, especially in light of the previous posts...

It's ironic to see someone that has "Taking the long and painful way, always! I don't believe in easy!" as their forum signature, call Marcipanek's achievement, a 'lame' one.

What would YOU consider a non-lame achievement?

I live in the Az desert. I make bad choices during my approach to caches. I get hurt, scratched, or have cactus travelers...that's what my siggy refers to....thanks for noticing it though!

I did some awesome virtuals today that were rich with the history of my little city. Those weren't lame, not at all.

I don't consider a powertrails an achievement- at all! Calling it that minimizes what real achievements are...

I salute the achievement!

It would be nice if some other geocaching achievements got as much recognition as those that "found" a lot of caches in a single day. The recent thread about Hidensek's three years of negotiating with the National Park Service that resulted the allowance of physical caches placed in a National Park in Washington didn't get nearly the number of congratulatory responses that have been posted in this thread. About a month ago I wrote a post about finding geocaches on four different continents in the last year. I suspect that the number of geocachers that have found geocaches on 3 or more continents is far fewer than the number of geocachers that have "found" 300 or more caches on a power trail, yet the thread I started only had 5 responses.

Just goes to show you how many people care about caching 4 continents in a year. 5 LMAO. I don't understand why some of you just can't say good job or nothing at all. All this negativity is not good but thats how this forum works. Always trying to knock someone down just because you don't agree with what someone else has done. I guess it's just human nature.

Great job out there on an amazing feat for a solo run. 6 hrs was enough for me, but i will be back in the spring to finish up. Not by myself this time though. Again great job.

Edited by the4dirtydogs

Deal with it. Let's see any of you stay up for 28 hours doing this?

Last week, I got home from work at 9pm, went to sleep around 11. Got paged at midnight, drove across town like a maniac, resuscitated someone for a few hours, did many rounds of CPR, and then had to continue to work until I got off shift somewhere 8pm the next day. Yeah, it was only 18 hours that I worked, my CPR did not save that life, and I had to remain on call in case someone else decided to have a heart attack in the night.

So, I guess me only having 1 hr of sleep in two days pales in comparison to that poor, hard working cacher who is digging up film canisters in the desert and thinking of himself as some sort of hero.

You're right though, I could not dream of staying up for 28 whole hours doing lame caches. I would be bored to death, and heck, just don't think I have the "stamina"

Last week, I got home from work at 9pm, went to sleep around 11. Got paged at midnight, drove across town like a maniac, resuscitated someone for a few hours, did many rounds of CPR, and then had to continue to work until I got off shift somewhere 8pm the next day. Yeah, it was only 18 hours that I worked, my CPR did not save that life, and I had to remain on call in case someone else decided to have a heart attack in the night.

So, I guess me only having 1 hr of sleep in two days pales in comparison to that poor, hard working cacher who is digging up film canisters in the desert and thinking of himself as some sort of hero.

You're right though, I could not dream of staying up for 28 whole hours doing lame caches. I would be bored to death, and heck, just don't think I have the "stamina"

Too bad the person died, but what the heck does that have to do with caching. Absolutely nothing. The guy doesn't think he's a hero just another cacher. Relax a little. It's not your cup of tea we get it so move on.

Too bad the person died, but what the heck does that have to do with caching. Absolutely nothing. The guy doesn't think he's a hero just another cacher. Relax a little. It's not your cup of tea we get it so move on.

Has nothing to do with caching....but to act like doing a power trail is so freaking amazing is ridiculous. I wad putting it all into perspective. Seriously....a power trail isn't hard, nor is it an 'achievement'

Edited by JesandTodd

Oh, so now we are comparing Caching achievements, to heroic life saving achievements? Right.... see, this is where pure logic and reason go down the tubes, and you have started to show yourself as a pompous egotist who just wants to one up everyone else.

No one here has said that Marcipanek's accomplishment is heroic, or compares to acts of heroism. It is relative to what this forum is ABOUT. Geocaching. This forum is not about Emergency Medical Services, so why do you feel the need to somehow make comparisons to your "heroism"? And, not to sound like a total ignorant jerk, but you chose your job, did you not? I'd think that a person who works in the EMS field like yourself would be more humble about your day to day life saving, and not be trying to show off on a Geocaching forum.

Meh. I still think his 28hrs of geocaching is better than the night my truck got hit with an IED just outside Baghdad.

Edited by bramasoleiowa

Has nothing to do with caching....but to act like doing a power trail is so freaking amazing is ridiculous. I wad putting it all into perspective. Seriously....a power trail isn't hard, nor is it an 'achievement'

Who are you to say that it's not an achievement? NOBODY. This power trail is pretty tough to tackle in 24hrs by yourself. Caching in general isn't hard either.

Oh, so now we are comparing Caching achievements, to heroic life saving achievements? Right.... see, this is where pure logic and reason go down the tubes, and you have started to show yourself as a pompous egotist who just wants to one up everyone else.

No one here has said that Marcipanek's accomplishment is heroic, or compares to acts of heroism. It is relative to what this forum is ABOUT. Geocaching. This forum is not about Emergency Medical Services, so why do you feel the need to somehow make comparisons to your "heroism"? And, not to sound like a total ignorant jerk, but you chose your job, did you not? I'd think that a person who works in the EMS field like yourself would be more humble about your day to day life saving, and not be trying to show off on a Geocaching forum.

+1

I'm not in EMS. And man, I LOVE my job! That was a typical weekday for me.

Funny, this whole thread, and your whole TONE has been about one upping everyone else. Didn't you just call all of us tree huggers or something because we disagreed with you??

Funny how you forget.

If you read, I said I was putting it in perspective. But you can choose to be be bitter about that as well.

And the other half of this team has served in battle as well, so nice try on that one too.

It would be nice if some other geocaching achievements got as much recognition as those that "found" a lot of caches in a single day. The recent thread about Hidensek's three years of negotiating with the National Park Service that resulted the allowance of physical caches placed in a National Park in Washington didn't get nearly the number of congratulatory responses that have been posted in this thread. About a month ago I wrote a post about finding geocaches on four different continents in the last year. I suspect that the number of geocachers that have found geocaches on 3 or more continents is far fewer than the number of geocachers that have "found" 300 or more caches on a power trail, yet the thread I started only had 5 responses.

I agree. Unfortunately people are impressed by numbers, but Hydnseek's achievement dwarfs any numbers run. Same for any geocacher who works with land managers to gain acceptance of our sport. THOSE are the people who deserve salutes.

What intrigues me is that I do not have the means to Geocache on FOUR different continents, but it IS within my means to go to Nevada and do this run myself, so it is nice to see what a determined cacher CAN do with a feat of strength and stamina. :P

I never for a minute disbelieved. I just questioned the emphasis on numbers and the general disregard for people who make a REAL contribution to the sport. Sure this person achieved something difficult and he deserves the "attaboys" from those who are impressed by numbers or his endurance level. Sadly however, the thread that mentioned Hydenseek's far more amazing accomplishment had a handful of "way to gos"' and was off the first page in a couple of days.

I'm not in EMS. And man, I LOVE my job! That was a typical weekday for me.

Funny, this whole thread, and your whole TONE has been about one upping everyone else. Didn't you just call all of us tree huggers or something because we disagreed with you??

Funny how you forget.

If you read, I said I was putting it in perspective. But you can choose to be be bitter about that as well.

And the other half of this team has served in battle as well, so nice try on that one too.

My tone has nothing to do with one upping anyone. It is about defending the truth against the naysayers like yourself.

I agree. Unfortunately people are impressed by numbers, but Hydnseek's achievement dwarfs any numbers run. Same for any geocacher who works with land managers to gain acceptance of our sport. THOSE are the people who deserve salutes.

What intrigues me is that I do not have the means to Geocache on FOUR different continents, but it IS within my means to go to Nevada and do this run myself, so it is nice to see what a determined cacher CAN do with a feat of strength and stamina. <_<

I never for a minute disbelieved. I just questioned the emphasis on numbers and the general disregard for people who make a REAL contribution to the sport. Sure this person achieved something difficult and he deserves the "attaboys" from those who are impressed by numbers or his endurance level. Sadly however, the thread that mentioned Hydenseek's far more amazing accomplishment had a handful of "way to gos"' and was off the first page in a couple of days.

See it's comparing two different things again. A contribution vs someone doing a cache run. Can't compare the two. Plus you can't argue against what she did up there. :P

What intrigues me is that I do not have the means to Geocache on FOUR different continents, but it IS within my means to go to Nevada and do this run myself, so it is nice to see what a determined cacher CAN do with a feat of strength and stamina. <_<

See it's comparing two different things again. A contribution vs someone doing a cache run. Can't compare the two. Plus you can't argue against what she did up there. :P

Not arguing against what she did. Arguing against using that heroic action (or any like it) as a comparison as to what matters and what doesn't. This is a Geocaching forum. Plain and simple.

Why are you still here?

I have an iPad (not caching related, sorry!) and can watch several different websites at once! I like following threads. So, here I am.

Whoa.... never knew an iPad was the only way to have several websites showing at once! What am I missing, considering my MacBook and my iPhone can do the same thing?

Wouldn't it have been easier/faster on something like a moped? Powered transportation that is easy to jump on and off?

Loving that moped idea :P

0664bed8-5060-4abd-ae5d-153bb0cd431c.jpg

Here is Marcipanek scouting a location today in Vegas to leave three 5 gallon gas tanks as a "pay it forward" to the next cacher to tackle the E.T. Highway.....

It really doesn't sound like any fun at all to me. I cache for enjoyment.
I really can't imagine that a person doesn't have something more important to do with their time :P
Funny. My wife takes that position whenever anything about geocaching comes up. To each his own.

Unfortunately people are impressed by numbers, but Hydnseek's achievement dwarfs any numbers run. Same for any geocacher who works with land managers to gain acceptance of our sport. THOSE are the people who deserve salutes.
So start threads 'saluting' those people. This thread is about one dude's cache run, so that's the achievement that people are 'saluting' here.

If you don't have to use the GPS to find the Cache, is it really Geocaching?
Sure. Many people have found thousands of caches without a GPS. I've found a few myself.

I did the ET Highway by myself without moving caches and was averaging 50-65 an hour for the first 4-5 hrs. Managed 672 in 16hrs because I did get tired and my rate went down. It was in July and I saw temps of 108*. Had to keep hydrating. Took time for pictures and lizard rescues too. I know it's possible so I believe him.

I enjoy doing 14h hikes up and over mountains for one cache. I am sure a lot of people would say that that doesn't sound fun at all to them. For me it is.

More on topic. My feeling is that if someone wants to claim a World Record, they need to submit their story here for peer review, including a .gpx (or similar) track log. I guess that SPOT log is good enough if it has time/date data with it. Since he did it solo, I am not sure how he could have done "creative" logging techniques, so likely no funny buisness there. And from his online logs looks like he actualy signed the logs (no stickers).

Why are you still here?

I have an iPad (not caching related, sorry!) and can watch several different websites at once! I like following threads. So, here I am.

Whoa.... never knew an iPad was the only way to have several websites showing at once! What am I missing, considering my MacBook and my iPhone can do the same thing?

So can my "old" Windows Mobile 6.5 phone; or do I boot it into Android, well that can do it too.

I really can't imagine that a person doesn't have something more important to do with their time :(
Funny. My wife takes that position whenever anything about geocaching comes up. To each his own.

Unfortunately people are impressed by numbers, but Hydnseek's achievement dwarfs any numbers run. Same for any geocacher who works with land managers to gain acceptance of our sport. THOSE are the people who deserve salutes.
So start threads 'saluting' those people. This thread is about one dude's cache run, so that's the achievement that people are 'saluting' here.

The the thread is about the run. Some salute, some don't. Both are on topic.

Now off-topic. Who named them power trails anyway. I propose "monotony trails" or "tedium trails"

I really can't imagine that a person doesn't have something more important to do with their time :blink:

The the thread is about the run. Some salute, some don't. Both are on topic.

Now off-topic. Who named them power trails anyway. I propose "monotony trails" or "tedium trails"

A power cacher named them power trails. :(

Marcipanek (Petr) is my best friend and regular power run partner. I am currently house/dog sitting for him and his wife while they are in Nevada.

So where was the wife? at a hotel waiting, friends house, or was she assisting by doing the driving? If the last, it would not be a solo adventure.

Either way, like many have mentions, being able to do the entire 1021 mind numbing caches in 24 hours is a feat in itself.

Marcipanek (Petr) is my best friend and regular power run partner. I am currently house/dog sitting for him and his wife while they are in Nevada.

So where was the wife? at a hotel waiting, friends house, or was she assisting by doing the driving? If the last, it would not be a solo adventure.

Either way, like many have mentions, being able to do the entire 1021 mind numbing caches in 24 hours is a feat in itself.

The wife was in Vegas at conferences for her work (main reason they came to Vegas area that weekend). She despises caching, but is becoming more supportive of Marcipanek's caching addiction (and I use the word addiction lightly). At times over the past year, I really thought that the caching would become a wall between the two of them, as they are both my friends, but actually she has lightened up about it, probably because not only has it given Marcipanek a great activity with new found friends, but it also means he gets Milo, their three year old Golden Retriever out and about daily on hikes! In this case though, I was dog siting Milo the whole time back in Maine ha ha

I even placed a cache, last year, about 300 feet from Marcipanek's home in Saco, ME called "I Have a Mistress and Her Name is Geocaching".

Marcipanek ran out on an FTF run at night minutes after they returned from their wedding anniversary dinner last winter. An when him and I go caching on long runs all over New England, we rarely tell her where we are going....

Funny thing is, the GPS unit (Garmin Colorado) that he started caching with, was originally bought for her by him for hiking. And of course he discovered caching. The rest is history.

JesandTodd-"...I think power trails are lame." ..."I tried one trail, and stopped after the second cache."
Doesn't sound like you gave it much of a try, might be attention deficit disor....Oh look, is that a butterfly? :(
usyoopers-"I really can't imagine that a person doesn't have something more important to do with their time :blink: "
I can't imagine that some other people don't have something more important to do with their time than post on line about something they consider a waste of time.
SeriousTool-"No one here has said that Marcipanek's accomplishment is heroic, or compares to acts of heroism. It is relative to what this forum is ABOUT. Geocaching"
JesandTodd-"...I don't consider a powertrails an achievement- at all! Calling it that minimizes what real achievements are.."
I hiked over 2100 miles from GA to ME not once, but twice, which I consider a long distance hiking achievement, but like Serious Tool I can still applaud Marcipanek caching achievement. For them to try to belittle the achievement says more about JesandTodd than it does about Marcipanek who actually put in the effort and did this. Way to go, Marcipanek!!
JesandTodd-"...I think power trails are lame." ..."I tried one trail, and stopped after the second cache."
Doesn't sound like you gave it much of a try, might be attention deficit disor....Oh look, is that a butterfly? :(
usyoopers-"I really can't imagine that a person doesn't have something more important to do with their time :blink: "
I can't imagine that some other people don't have something more important to do with their time than post on line about something they consider a waste of time.
SeriousTool-"No one here has said that Marcipanek's accomplishment is heroic, or compares to acts of heroism. It is relative to what this forum is ABOUT. Geocaching"
JesandTodd-"...I don't consider a powertrails an achievement- at all! Calling it that minimizes what real achievements are.."
I hiked over 2100 miles from GA to ME not once, but twice, which I consider a long distance hiking achievement, but like Serious Tool I can still applaud Marcipanek caching achievement. For them to try to belittle the achievement says more about JesandTodd than it does about Marcipanek who actually put in the effort and did this. Way to go, Marcipanek!!

Out of curiosity? How many caches , or did you do any caching during it, did you find during the App. Trail hike??? That could be interesting too! A cool Challenge, to find every cache within 100 ft of the App. Trail!

what was this?

Who knows? I suggested that BS start a thread to discuss these other achievements, but apparently he doesn't find them to be important enough for such discussion.

what was this?

Who knows? I suggested that BS start a thread to discuss these other achievements, but apparently he doesn't find them to be important enough for such discussion.

There is already a thread on it.

what was this?

It's not readily identifiable.

Got a link?

what was this?

It's not readily identifiable.

Got a link?

I think that was the point of the original statement, is that this type of topic gets tons of traffic, and the other just falls off the first page into forum oblivion. For what it's worth, here is the link. I also think it is great that Hydnsek got this accomplished, but the longer I geocache, the less I trust my fellow geocachers to treat this privilege with respect. My fingers are crossed that we as a group don't mess it up.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=265106

I respect both of you and your achievements in caching, but I must disagree with your comments here.

I presume you are referring to this THREAD?

I did not see either of you commenting in it.

It garnered 11 positive replies, plus the OP. A 12th post was by Hydnseek thanking people for posting. Then it died off after one day. It was sad, I don't think everyone fully understood the significance.

I'm sorry that NYP's thread never took off. It looks to me like it got 11 responses, not 5. And no one claimed that you had not done it or debated the politics of caching in China.

This thread got 3 positive responses before the first doubter. Then one positive and then a claim that it was not possible, in effect calling it a lie. That was post 7, after which the thread took off as a debate about the ER trail and power trails in general.

I think if I am ever out west and do this trail I will be sure not to mention it here.

Briansnat-"I agree. Unfortunately people are impressed by numbers, but Hydnseek's achievement dwarfs any numbers run. Same for any geocacher who works with land managers to gain acceptance of our sport. THOSE are the people who deserve salutes."
We're getting off on a tangent here but we all try to do our part. I did something similar way back in 2007, not a big deal.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry2884574