Meaningful caches?

LucyBDA

At the moment I'm split between two continents, so am never near enough, enough of the time, to a particular place where I can hide a cache of my own and be a watchful mother to it...but this is giving me plenty of time to dream and plot the ultimate hiding location in the future!

Which got me thinking about why are geo-caches are where they are? Whenever I find a cache, I always find it special to think about how and why the hider chose that park, that trail or that street, and not the next one along, to hide their cache?

So if you're a cache-hider, please share your stories on why you've chosen the locations, or types of locations, you place your caches, and what you hope (if it's a thought of yours) geocachers will get out of their hunt for your cache and visit to its location?

Can there be an ultimate cache location?? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, LucyBDA

I would be very interested to see what people say. A friend turned me on to this game a few years ago and I did it for a while before life got in the way. Recently I have started again and I plan on getting my wife into it too if she ever gets another day off. Unfortunately I've never gotten to place my own cache but hope to change that soon. I've spent the last couple of days plotting and seeking out a good location. My first choice is occupied by another cache that I plan to find tomorrow which is just as well since I want my first cache to go somewhere more meaningful anyway. Sorry to ramble. Happy hunting!

-ben

I would say that a significant are not location based. They are at that location because the hider wanted to say something and needed a spot so took that one. Locally we have a number of series type (every episode of Scooby Do, every book in the Barsoom series by Edgar Rice Burroughs, etc) where the reason is not because of the location. As you read the descriptions over time I think you may see that. I have come across some that location based (hiked to the top of Antelope Island in Salt Lake awhile that was definitely location based. There are many that honor something or someone. I am not saying that there are not many that a location based (Scoobert locally puts out some ones that are great hikes) but I think the amount is less than you might think.

And then there are power trails. No logical reason for location just along a road for easy pickup.

My caches in the Eastern Sierras are all to share places that had special meaning for me BEFORE I started caching in early 2003. The logs and pictures on those caches regularly make my day since the mountains are home to me and I'm stuck in the Armpit of the Universe (Houston, Tx.) because the economy and the money are wayyy too good to leave for more aesthetic surroundings. You know you have a good cache when your DNF logs gush about the area. :anicute:

My caches in Houston are just an excuse to give back to the awesome caching continuum we have here and get out of the house looking for new places to make a hide.

I hide what I would want to find.

larger caches, close to home, in places of personal interest. Abandon residences, very small wooded areas nobody would venture into because they are not on some hiking trail way out in the middle of nowhere. I like urban woods hides for those of us who can not venture out into a state park all the time, to go hiking forever. You still get to see the woods with one of my hides, but you can do it on your lunch break.

OK. I'll g for it. Of my currently active hides...

Frog Sax - No special meaning. This one was just for fun.

The Drake Bridge - I wanted one near work and this one gave a muggle challenge, a great view of Town Lake and a bit of history.

Packrat Stash - No special meaning to me. I adopted this one because it was an old one and I wanted to keep it going.

Semper's Crossing - This simple micro marked a spot where we had a fun moment with our now-deceased and dearly missed retired racing greyhound.

Windswept View - I wanted one here to bring people to this spot that gives a surprising view over the community.

I take care of one my brother placed that marks the site of my rather severe geocaching accident 3 years ago. I had an event to thank the local cachers for helping me after that accident. I had other caches placed for other reasons and events, then some that were just for the heck of it.

My caches in the Eastern Sierras are all to share places that had special meaning for me BEFORE I started caching in early 2003. The logs and pictures on those caches regularly make my day since the mountains are home to me and I'm stuck in the Armpit of the Universe (Houston, Tx.) because the economy and the money are wayyy too good to leave for more aesthetic surroundings. You know you have a good cache when your DNF logs gush about the area. :)

My caches in Houston are just an excuse to give back to the awesome caching continuum we have here and get out of the house looking for new places to make a hide.

lol Hey now. I'm from Houston! It may be as humid as an armpit and sometimes it smells a little like an armpit, but it aint so bad. :anicute:

What part of Houston are you in?

My caches in the Eastern Sierras are all to share places that had special meaning for me BEFORE I started caching in early 2003. The logs and pictures on those caches regularly make my day since the mountains are home to me and I'm stuck in the Armpit of the Universe (Houston, Tx.) because the economy and the money are wayyy too good to leave for more aesthetic surroundings. You know you have a good cache when your DNF logs gush about the area. :)

lol Hey now. I'm from Houston! It may be as humid as an armpit and sometimes it smells a little like an armpit, but it aint so bad. :anicute:

What part of Houston are you in?

I'm in Sugar Land, but I work inside the loop.

I'm a shameless self promoter. Come to my event, W.E.G.E. #7: Three Decker Sauerkraut & Toadstool Sandwich With Arsenic Sauce!!! & meet the locals...

My first cache (20th Anniversary) was hidden in a park, at the location of our wedding, and was published (Thanks, Hemlock!) on the day of our 20th Anniversary. I'm considering another hide for our 25th anniversary, but I'll need to figure out a new location (both muggles and saturation prevent me from reusing the old location).

My second cache (Almost Eden) was one I adopted, and then replaced/upgraded the container. It turns out that I already knew the person who maintains this beautiful neighborhood garden. I wanted to preserve the cache, to share this hidden treasure with others.

My third cache (Happy Birthday!) is a combination of a location that fit the theme of the puzzle, and another hidden treasure. Actually, the puzzle seems to have run its course, so next year I plan to retire the puzzle cache and replace it with a traditional that focuses on the public art at the cache location.

I like parks and walking trails. Anything green really. I have 7 caches off a walking trail that goes through neighborhoods near one of our malls. I have 2 or 3 in undeveloped woods around town (1 of those directly opposite of my office on the other side of the river). I have another 4 in parks of varying sizes.

One of the first caches I found in one of the most beautiful locations I have found was archived over the summer, so I placed my ammo can that commerates my first 1000 finds.

Most of my caches bring people some place nice or interesting. Good viewpoints, pretty spots in the woods, cool rock formations, old ruins, historic sites, abandoned mines, or are meant simply to bring the searchers on a pleasant walk in an area they may not have discovered if it wasn't for geocaching.

A few are meant to provide a physical challenge to searchers by bringing them over rough terrain.

I try to avoid placing a cache just for the sake of placing a cache, where the only attraction is the cache itself. I hid a few of those over the years, especially early in my geocaching career, then decided that the world had enough of them and I wasn't going to add to it.

Edited by briansnat

I choose my locations because I thought they have great views, nice walks, easy parking, and they have some interesting history attached to them. Totally camera worthy!

I'm actually worried that when ( and if) I place my next one, I won't be able to place it in such a good spot. SC has a few restrictions on geocaching and it really narrows down the possibilities. But that's a long way off.

I started placing caches because I wanted to bring people to particular areas. Some were placed at local "treasures:" legendary spots in the mountains and hills.

Others were associated with the history of my area: the site of the last political duel in my state, a labor strike, an offset starting at the grave of a hall of fame baseball player, sites important to my town, musical history like Janis' last house or the Grateful Dead's studio.

Many were left because I spotted a particular scenic view, waterfall, or ridge while hiking and thought that it was special in some way. The location inspired me.

A few were placed because I needed locations that fit in with a story line, such as pirate treasure. the search for bigfoot, or as tributes to professional darts players.

I did one hide because it was near a popular tourist spot and I wanted to give people somewhere nice to go for a break from the hustle -- its said to be the most visited physical cache in my state so I guess it worked.

In general, if you do not have a reason to place a cache, think twice about why you want to bring people there. If the only reason is that there is no other cache in the parking lot, think about why that may be the case. My bottom line: if you place caches in locations where you would like to find them, then both aspects of the game should be fun for you.

Edited by mulvaney

I recently solved a puzzle cache, after researching a ghastly murder perpetrated by two Californians, who figured prominently in the founding of California as a US territory - the location of the act was nearby, though it looks quite different, over 150 years later. Some history lesson that was!

Other caches have been at great beauty spots, like many of 50sumtin's caches along the central coast, west and north of Santa Cruz, CA (really some great spots there and most people don't even know about them - shhhhh!!! :anicute: )

And there's always Earth caches. Something to learn about the ground you stand upon or are able to look at because some of it has been thrust up into the sky by plate tectonics or carried way by impressive erosion.

Best of luck whatever you try! :)

Edited by DragonsWest

For the three hides I intend to hide (as soon as I can get the containers I want) what it came down to is these were places that I liked before. 1 will be in an unused baseball field that has some personal history.

Second one in a part of town that was abandoned and the houses moved out of to make way for industry and it's just a cool area.

Third is near a pioneer cemetery that has some good local history which very few people know about.

My friend hid one near a tourist area because he thinks it's kind of neato area. However, I'm not sure it will get approved with the proximity guideline.

Hey there,

I'm pretty new to geocaching (this is my first post on here) but this is something I've given some thought as I've looked for caches that others have hidden - without doubt, I'd hide caches in places I've enjoyed visiting, places that have been interesting to explore and wander around: London's south bank, beaches in Devon, the middle of Dartmoor...etc, etc.

I reckon this is for 2 reasons: a) these are beautiful places, so it would be good to know I've encouraged others to experience them, and :) I've discovered some really cool places whilst hunting for caches, places I wouldn't otherwise have found. That is the great thing about geocaching, discover, discover, discover....and try to read a map!

Interesting question, look forward to seeing more replies to this. :anicute:

I recently solved a puzzle cache, after researching a ghastly murder perpetrated by two Californians, who figured prominently in the founding of California as a US territory - the location of the act was nearby, though it looks quite different, over 150 years later. Some history lesson that was!

Got a GC number for that one? I am related to a man named Henry Beeson, one of the people that took part in the Bear Flag Revolt in 1846 and was one of a group that raised the first Bear Flag in Sonoma which led the teh Mexican-American war.

Got a GC number for that one? I am related to a man named Henry Beeson, one of the people that took part in the Bear Flag Revolt in 1846 and was one of a group that raised the first Bear Flag in Sonoma which led the teh Mexican-American war.

Wow, I got an email about this one, too! Look ye no further than:

GC1DA05 Lesser Known Americans: "Mr. Carson, Your Duty!"

During my extensive research (someone's name isn't spelled right, there's an 'e' attributed where an 'o' should be in internet search results) I got to the bottom of the story and all the very sad information about what transpired on that shore.

It's a bit more awful than the unmentioned ending to this one, also a favorite:

GCTFWD Vigilante

Further reading on Matt Tarpy reveals a surprise turn of events in his life.

Though I have yet to claim a find on GC2BNHY Ellen Liddy Watson, reading up on her story is also a grim and gritty tale. No Tom Mix or Lone Ranger to ride to her aid. :anicute:

Edited by DragonsWest

I thought of something else - I'd also want to place a cache where there is a challenge to reach it - e.g. up the top of Snowdonia, or somewhere equally remote! Not that urban aren't caches aren't fun too, but the thought of finding something in the middle of nowhere would be like stumbling across the discarded lunch of an Antarctic explorer 50 years after it was discarded!

Our first six placed caches; GC1J2FW Big Blue River Series #1-Stockdale", GC1J2GG Big Blue River Series #2-Garrison", GC1J2H1 Big Blue River Series #3-Randolph", GC1MDPY Big Blue River Series #4-Irving-Redux", GC1JADY Big Blue River Series #5-Cleburne", and GC1K9WG Big Blue River Series #6-Randolph" were very much inspired by the specific location of the many towns that were flooded by the creation of the nearby reservoir. We included a little map in each showing where each town was located from GZ. Also helped that, at the time, there were very few caches around the reservoir, so we got the good vibes of helping to fill in a bit of a caching void in the area.

(edit: add info-correct links)

Edited by JBnW

Thanks everyone who's shared their thoughts! So fascinating. On the one hand it seems like an obvious thing to put a cache in a popular location where people enjoy visiting already. I wonder if you could even place a cache specifically to get people to visit a place most people would be oblivious to otherwise?

I wonder if you could even place a cache specifically to get people to visit a place most people would be oblivious to otherwise?
Sure. A lot of "public art" caches are like that, encouraging the cache seeker to spend time considering something that most people just walk/drive past. A lot of "history" caches are like that too.

Thanks everyone who's shared their thoughts! So fascinating. On the one hand it seems like an obvious thing to put a cache in a popular location where people enjoy visiting already. I wonder if you could even place a cache specifically to get people to visit a place most people would be oblivious to otherwise?

It is why I place most of my caches.

It is why I place most of my caches.

+1

That's also true when finding caches, especially when I'm traveling. I've spent quite a few vacations on the Outer Banks in North Carolina (probably 8 times before I started geocaching). The last two times I was there I discovered a few really nice areas that I hadn't visited during my previous visits to the area, and probably would not have visited had it not been for geocaching. In one case, it was a spot that I *did* know about but didn't realize how special it was until I went to find an earthcache located in the spot.