GPS or ipad. Which one should I buy to start Geocaching?

I'm shopping for my very 1st geocaching equipment.

Shopping locally, I can buy a GPS for $99 or an ipad with considerably more features for $700.

Which setup costs less for the least number of potential problems? And, using an ipad, do I need to pay a monthly subscription to access these features?

Thanks for suggestions.

cvanblom@gmail.com is my e-mail address.

Shopping locally, I can buy a GPS for $99 or an ipad with considerably more features for $700.

Which setup costs less for the least number of potential problems? And, using an ipad, do I need to pay a monthly subscription to access these features?

Thanks for suggestions.

If you're going to be doing any kind of rural caching, i.e. hiking in the woods, going after canoe caches, then stick with a hand-held GPS. I have a couple of friends who cache with an iPad but that is mainly for urban caches as they always have access to the internet wherever they go with it.

What type of GPS can you get for $99? Let us know and someone can probably let you know if it is suitable for geocaching.

Thanks for suggestions.

If you geocache with a iPad people will think you're Moses...

I have an iPad and I wouldn't dream of taking it out caching, but then I do have many alternative gps units.

Save yourself some frustration - buy a basic gps like a Garmin Legend HCx or the like for around $100 and learn with that.

I have both and definitely would buy a good GPS. The iPad is too large to carry around in the woods and is not as accurate. I use an iPhone for my paperless caching and my friend used her iTouch, loading the Pocket Caches before leaving home. I use the car Nuvi GPS to get close to the cache and then a GPSMAP 60CSx.

I can't imagine bringing an Ipad to many of the places I've cached. No wireless in a lot of cases no cell phone reception even. Rough terrain. I personally would not want to drop something like the Ipad and watch it get destroyed because I was using it for a purpose it wasn't really meant for. Whereas I drop my GPS on a regular basis and since it's a rugged unit it does just fine.

I use an iPhone and a Garmin Oregon 450 together. Although I have an Otter Box Defender case on my iPhone, I still hesitate in bad weather, I also hate jamming it into my pocket and then slipping while climbing and worrying about whether or not I crushed the beautiful screen. The GPS is tough and waterproof, the accuracy is the same (as long as there is cellphone reception). Most people just don't realize the difference in the refresh rate for each one. I have found at least a couple hundred caches with my iPhone, while being between GPSrs or while my GPSr has gone to the shop for some repair. I find that in the end if you have access to both then you will enjoy them together.

I use an iPhone and a Garmin Oregon 450 together. Although I have an Otter Box Defender case on my iPhone, I still hesitate in bad weather, I also hate jamming it into my pocket and then slipping while climbing and worrying about whether or not I crushed the beautiful screen. The GPS is tough and waterproof, the accuracy is the same (as long as there is cellphone reception). Most people just don't realize the difference in the refresh rate for each one. I have found at least a couple hundred caches with my iPhone, while being between GPSrs or while my GPSr has gone to the shop for some repair. I find that in the end if you have access to both then you will enjoy them together.

The question was iPad or GPS, not iPhone. There's a huge difference.

I haven't used an iPad, don't have one. However I have and use my iPhone, when my caching partner has my GPS. I suspect the iPad GPS is similar in operation to the one in the iPhone and as such it uses signals from cell towers and other sources to ID your location. As such it is virtually useless if it is not able to get any cell tower signals, it needs at least two and more is better. As long as you can see the sky the GPS will work, some of the new ones even work quite well under heavy tree cover.

Unless you have some very good reason for getting an iPad, I'd suggest you use some of that money for a good medium-priced GPS, some supplies and save the rest towards an upgrade if you decide you're serious about this crazy, wonderful past-time.

I use an ipad and dumped my GPS. The ipad is much more accurate.

The ipad has a GPS in it and using cell tower triangulation. Our partners us a GPS and I am much more accurate. Also when tree cover is an issue the ipad will excel if cell towers are close buy. On many occasions the GPS users have get the lost signal message and the ipad leads us right to the spot. Haven't pulled out the GPS in months.

The ipad has a GPS in it and using cell tower triangulation. Our partners us a GPS and I am much more accurate. Also when tree cover is an issue the ipad will excel if cell towers are close buy. On many occasions the GPS users have get the lost signal message and the ipad leads us right to the spot. Haven't pulled out the GPS in months.

Riiiiiiiight....

I adore my iPad, but I would be entirely too paranoid about using it for Geocaching. For one thing, it's not the sturdiest thing ever built. Plus, it's size makes it less-than-convenient ~ can't just shove it into my pocket or hang it on a lanyard. :) Hand-held GPSs are made much more durable and are easier to tote around.

iPads are much better for the big-screen version of the equally-addictive "Angry Birds" game. ;-)

Edited by MamaKatO

Like many have said go with a GPSr with more features then the ipad as far as geocaching appliability. Yeah now a days you can get 3g and 4g non-wifi ipads, but try looking into the Garmin Oregon seris. An ipad just wasn't made for geocaching, it was made first to play games on then moved to a compact laptop now they have Geocaching apps out. Overall if you have a use for an ipad and aren't to into geocaching go that route but if you plan to do a lot of future geocaching go the upfront pricy way.

If you end up buying a GPS I would say first pay the REI $20 for a lifetime membership, then buy it at REI eaither in store or online. My reasoning behind this is yes GPS companies have ok warentys but REI if your part of their membership co-op they stand behind the products they sell. For example I have gotten many things replaced including GPSrs, tents, boats, eta that wouldn't work anymore just do to constant wear or that just finaly fell apart.

(No I'm not sponserd by them, I just want you to get the best deal for your money)

I haven't used an iPad, don't have one. However I have and use my iPhone, when my caching partner has my GPS. I suspect the iPad GPS is similar in operation to the one in the iPhone and as such it uses signals from cell towers and other sources to ID your location. As such it is virtually useless if it is not able to get any cell tower signals, it needs at least two and more is better. As long as you can see the sky the GPS will work, some of the new ones even work quite well under heavy tree cover.

Unless you have some very good reason for getting an iPad, I'd suggest you use some of that money for a good medium-priced GPS, some supplies and save the rest towards an upgrade if you decide you're serious about this crazy, wonderful past-time.

I would highly recommend the iPad. With an iPad or iPhone you can access the Geocaching website straight from the device. This means that you don't need a computer to find and log caches. I have used and iPhone as my only caching device and have not had problems with GPS accuracy. If you can afford an iPad you should get one. Be sure to get the WiFi + 3G because the WiFi only model does not have a GPS.

My handheld GPS has accumulated more than one battle scar in the time I have been geocaching. It has bounced off rocks. It has been dropped in the snow. I have used it in the pouring rain. And I have used it in temps of -20C. Never once have I worried about it's durability.

I would think the ultimate test would be to take both the iPad and a handheld GPS and drop them both in a big mud puddle. See which one fairs better and that should give you your answer.

Cheers! B)

Lets start out with the iPhone 4 & the iPad have VERY good gps's in them. They do not need a cell signal to work. They have AGps chips, or assisted GPS chips, they use the cell towers to quickly (a few seconds) lock on to where you are and then use GPS satellites to further refine your location. If there is no cell signal they will just use the satellites and take longer (20, 30 seconds) to acquire a your location.

I do not use my dedicated out door gps any more. I use my iPhone for cache's and my iPad when I hike with my back pack.

They work awesome. If your geocaching you might want to look into get a new iPod touch and a gps add on for it

there are 2 that I know of

http://www1.magellangps.com/toughcase/ (the one out now is for iPod touch 3rd gen, 4Gen version should be out soon)

http://www.gpscradle.dualav.com/

Cool thing is once you add one of these they will work with ALL GPS IOS apps!

The geocaching.com app is probably the best Mobile geocaching app ever. Also there are some very slick GPS hiking apps with topo maps:

Gaia GPS http://www.gaiagps.com/ and accutera http://www.mobile.accuterra.com/ Plus a tons more

I would say it makes sense to get something like this over a dedicated GPS now

Edited by peteostro