GPS for Caching and driving

LeeTx

I use an Oregon in the car, with a RAM window suction mount. I have Garmin's routable street maps as well.

A 60CSx will work . . I've used one for both in the past. You might find, though, that a touch screen GPS will work better in the car, particularly when the unit is in the car mount. My preference is the Oregon.

Thank you, I'll have to look into one of those.

Here is your issue, none of the car GPSr's are great for field use and none of the field GPSr's are great for car's. The field units do not offer traffic updates, voice routing, or sometimes offer the best route to where you want to go.

I have both a PN-40 and a 60CSX and would say the CSX is far better for use in driving. At this current time, I am not in need of a dedicated car unit so the CSX works adequately for my needs. If I were to do a lot more driving, I would consider getting a cheap unit for the car that offers traffic updates and rerouting capabilities.

The newer Garmins with the touch screens are nicer than the CSX I have but as far as I am aware are still unable to any of the things I have mentioned about traffic updates and voice routing.

Good luck in your hunt.

I use an Oregon in the car, with a RAM window suction mount. I have Garmin's routable street maps as well.

A 60CSx will work . . I've used one for both in the past. You might find, though, that a touch screen GPS will work better in the car, particularly when the unit is in the car mount. My preference is the Oregon.

Thank you, I'll have to look into one of those.

Second the Dakota with Maps. Works well

Cabela's still has the Nuvi 500 marked down to $179.99 in their Bargain Cave at this link. They're also offering free shipping for orders over $99.99. Not a bad deal.

The 500 is basically an automotive GPS but with a more durable waterproof case, a replaceable battery and a dedicated geocaching mode. It's not the best form factor for out the trail but it's much better than handhelds for road routing.

Here is your issue, none of the car GPSr's are great for field use and none of the field GPSr's are great for car's. The field units do not offer traffic updates, voice routing, or sometimes offer the best route to where you want to go.

I have both a PN-40 and a 60CSX and would say the CSX is far better for use in driving. At this current time, I am not in need of a dedicated car unit so the CSX works adequately for my needs. If I were to do a lot more driving, I would consider getting a cheap unit for the car that offers traffic updates and rerouting capabilities.

The newer Garmins with the touch screens are nicer than the CSX I have but as far as I am aware are still unable to any of the things I have mentioned about traffic updates and voice routing.

Good luck in your hunt.

Would the PN-40 be better for caching? I saw that if you buy one on Amazon it comes with a few cd's with maps..

Thank you.

Lee - The maps that you are talking about come standard with all of the PN40's. You typically have the main topo program and 3 'Regional' discs that have detailed maps on them. In addition, you can pay $30 subscription to download an unlimited number of maps (USGS quads, NOAA nautical maps, and aerial color imagery).

Same question I had some time back. Let me say I have a Nuvi 350 and it is a pretty good car GPS. I did use it to find several caches but a handheld works much better. I have the PN 40 and the Garmin Cxs 60. I love them both. We find at times one is better than the other but not on a consistent basis so you really can't say which is the best. PN 40 does allow you to have paperless caching and that is really a plus. I really like some of the features on the PN 40 better than the garmin but the garmin does have a larger screen and other things I like. The PN 40 does eat batteries so make sure you have plenty on hand if you get it. I use litium in it and I guess they hold up longer but not really sure I am sold on that theory yet. The garmin will not use litium. I do like the topo map that comes with the PN 40 but not with the garmin. Recently Bass Pro shops had the Garmin Cxs 60 for 219 or somewhere around that amount and it came as a set with topo maps. That is an awesome deal bec the garmin topo is several dollars. We paid that price just for the garmin unit alone. My suggestion if you can afford it to have a separate car gps and then a handheld bec of limited space etc on each unit. Good luck on your choice.

Same question I had some time back. Let me say I have a Nuvi 350 and it is a pretty good car GPS. I did use it to find several caches but a handheld works much better. I have the PN 40 and the Garmin Cxs 60. I love them both. We find at times one is better than the other but not on a consistent basis so you really can't say which is the best. PN 40 does allow you to have paperless caching and that is really a plus. I really like some of the features on the PN 40 better than the garmin but the garmin does have a larger screen and other things I like. The PN 40 does eat batteries so make sure you have plenty on hand if you get it. I use litium in it and I guess they hold up longer but not really sure I am sold on that theory yet. The garmin will not use litium. I do like the topo map that comes with the PN 40 but not with the garmin. Recently Bass Pro shops had the Garmin Cxs 60 for 219 or somewhere around that amount and it came as a set with topo maps. That is an awesome deal bec the garmin topo is several dollars. We paid that price just for the garmin unit alone. My suggestion if you can afford it to have a separate car gps and then a handheld bec of limited space etc on each unit. Good luck on your choice.

Thank you to everyone, I have some deciding to do on what to get. I appreciate the responses.

Good luck in your hunt.

Would the PN-40 be better for caching? I saw that if you buy one on Amazon it comes with a few cd's with maps..

Thank you.

I find both to be very accurate in finding caches. The advantage of the PN-40 over the CSX is the paperless feature. With the CSX, I need to use a PDA to store all the cache info or utilize my smart phone. Either GPS will make great field units but the CSX will be a better, not great, car unit.

If you are serious about the PN-40 but can afford to spend more, I recommend you look at it's new brother, the PN-60. The battery life is dramatically improved over the 40 and the user interface is a better.

I've been looking at those too, and I just also started looking at the Colorado 400T and it seems to be pretty good also. Im new to all of this and dont really know what all to look for. Im looking at people's comments and everything on Amazon and on the Geocache site.