Downloading cache locations to GPS

mariahbrazil

I am brand new to both GPS's and Geocaching. If I purchase a TomTom, can I download cache locations from the site directly to a TomTom? When checking out the site, it appears that it will only download to DeLorme, Magellan and Garmin...is this so? And if not, how would I download to a TomTom?

Thanks for any help!

Mariah

Hi

Im afraid to say that ; NO. this is not what you need for geocaching.

Are you in Brazil ?

let us know.

M.TEX ( from RJ now in USA )

Thanks! No, I'm not in Brazil...East Coast of North Carolina.

Crud. I was really hoping to be able to do this with a great deal I found on a TomTom GPS XL 340. I also have a Blackberry Curve...any suggestions without spending a boatload of money? I'd really like to find out if this is something I'm going to enjoy before I spend bunches of $$$.

Thanks so much!

Mariah

Hi

Im afraid to say that ; NO. this is not what you need for geocaching.

Are you in Brazil ?

let us know.

M.TEX ( from RJ now in USA )

Thanks! No, I'm not in Brazil...East Coast of North Carolina.

Crud. I was really hoping to be able to do this with a great deal I found on a TomTom GPS XL 340. I also have a Blackberry Curve...any suggestions without spending a boatload of money? I'd really like to find out if this is something I'm going to enjoy before I spend bunches of $$$.

Thanks so much!

Mariah

Your GPS is an automotive unit and is going to come up short compared to handheld units that are used on the trail. Some public libraries loan out handheld GPS units - you could ask a friend or family member if they have a handheld one you can try out for a few days. If you get hooked on geocaching - and trust me, the vast majority of those who try it do get addicted to it - then you'll eventually want a more robust unit such as a Garmin or a Delorme or one of the new Magellan's. With a handheld, you can add topo maps which are very handy if you plan on geocaching outside of urban areas.

Edited by entogeek

I have a hand held GPS (Garmin 76CSx) that has the Garmin City Selector maps loaded. Street level mapping, auto-routing and works for the car - just doesn't talk to me. Suction cup windshield mount and I'm all set.

Point is, hand held GPS units CAN work as auto GPS units, but it's not as good vice versa.

As others had mentioned, you will eventually want a better unit. I think the Garmin has the best units out there for Caching but your going to pay a little more for it too.

Thanks so much for your help. Are there any units that do both? (Auto GPS and handheld).

You know I have cached with auto units and drove with handheld units. They will do both but each one is a tool for a specific job. You will find pinpointing is harder with a driving unit because it is not meant to be that accurate. The handheld units are not made to find you the best routes and navigate traffic.

If you are in the market for a new Smart Phone the Iphone App is pretty darn accurate (unless you are in heavy cover). You can get the Geocaching App for like $5 or $10 and then get the Garmin App for less than $75.

Anyway, hope I helped and not created more confusion. LOL

Crud. I was really hoping to be able to do this with a great deal I found on a TomTom GPS XL 340. I also have a Blackberry Curve...any suggestions without spending a boatload of money?

I highly recommend CacheSense for the BlackBerry. It is only like $10 on the BB App World. I have used it for years and it keeps getting better.

However, like others have said, eventually you will want a 'real' hand-held GPSR especially if you start caching in terrain where the phone can get damaged more easily. Also, I have found my Garmin Vists Hcx to be more accurate under heavy cover.

Thank you all so much for your help. I've just downloaded CacheSense for my Blackberry...if I like geocaching, I really don't mind purchasing a GPS...but I really want to see if it's for me before spending the money. CacheSense is cheap enough that I won't kick myself later.

I really look forward to getting to "know" you all! You seem like a friendly bunch!

Mariah

Thank you all so much for your help. I've just downloaded CacheSense for my Blackberry...if I like geocaching, I really don't mind purchasing a GPS...but I really want to see if it's for me before spending the money. CacheSense is cheap enough that I won't kick myself later.

I really look forward to getting to "know" you all! You seem like a friendly bunch!

Mariah

We're told to 'be nice' to newbies in the Getting Started forum! :)

Welcome, hope you enjoy caching!

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Most cachers are usually friendly, it might be worth looking out for an event near to home so you can meet a few of the locals face to face.