Was I paranoid in 2007?

Back in 2007, I posted the following:

Here is my concern.

Geocaching is still in its infancy. It just hit 1,000,000 members worldwide. This is an insignificant percentage of the world's population at present, yet it is growing exponentially. I suspect that there will be a "blowout" event that shoots geocaching into the public consciousness. Maybe a movie. Maybe a celebrity. Maybe cell phone geocaching. Who knows? But suddenly there will be another million, or two million or 10 million members!

And, THAT is when Google, or Microsoft, or Nextel or some other large corporation will take over the "sport". And geocaching will change forever.

Are YOU concerned, or am I just paranoid?

So, I ask the question again:

The more geocachers on the planet, the less we have to worry about muggles.

Also, with a site opening up that allows geocaches to be instantly published with no review process, I think the sport will see some really interesting things happen. I am excited to see what those things will be. Lots more confrontation with non-geocachers, but will it make for more geocachers, or less? This will be the start of an interesting year.

I feel that geocaching has a limited appeal. Even though there may be a lot of registered people on GC.com there are only about 100,000 or so worldwide with more than 200 finds. So I don't know if geocaching will bust out into large numbers simply because a lot of people don't find it that interesting (crazy people IMHO :) ).

Of course, now that I have said that I will be proven wrong...

The more geocachers on the planet, the less we have to worry about muggles.

Also, with a site opening up that allows geocaches to be instantly published with no review process, I think the sport will see some really interesting things happen. I am excited to see what those things will be. Lots more confrontation with non-geocachers, but will it make for more geocachers, or less? This will be the start of an interesting year.

More confrontation, less someone holding you to task. Should be absolutely freaking awesome!

Here is my concern.

Geocaching is still in its infancy. It just hit 1,000,000 members worldwide. This is an insignificant percentage of the world's population at present, yet it is growing exponentially. I suspect that there will be a "blowout" event that shoots geocaching into the public consciousness. Maybe a movie. Maybe a celebrity. Maybe cell phone geocaching. Who knows? But suddenly there will be another million, or two million or 10 million members!

And, THAT is when Google, or Microsoft, or Nextel or some other large corporation will take over the "sport". And geocaching will change forever.

I took 2 psychology classes in college so I think that makes me well qualified to say that , yes, you are paranoid :) and maybe a little delusional but it appears to be a happy delusion with snorkeling, sailing and swimming

Here is my concern.

Well, you got the "cell phone geocaching" right. I don't think it has resulted in significant negative impact (other than bad coordinates from noobs.)

Oh, and Garmin is the large company trying to muscle its way in.

Also, with a site opening up that allows geocaches to be instantly published with no review process , I think the sport will see some really interesting things happen. I am excited to see what those things will be. Lots more confrontation with non-geocachers, but will it make for more geocachers, or less? This will be the start of an interesting year.

I'm not excited at all. If this other site takes hold, it will be the death of the sport/game.

Here is my concern.

Well, you got the "cell phone geocaching" right. I don't think it has resulted in significant negative impact (other than bad coordinates from noobs.)

Well, a lot of Geocachers would also point out that cell phone cachers have added to the short, terse logs that seems to now be the norm.

IMO, GS creating ways for people not to buy handheld GPSr's, caused what we have seen in the last two weeks.

[edit to remove brand name.]

Edited by Don_J

Here is my concern.

Well, a lot of Geocachers would also point out that cell phone cachers have added to the short, terse logs that seems to now be the norm.

IMO, GS creating ways for people not to buy handheld GPSr's, caused what we have seen in the last two weeks.

I don't think it was GS that allowed the smart phone caching. That started independant of GS. They just jumped on the train before they were left behind.

As for the log length, I think that has more to do with the shift in focus to numbers over quality.

I took 2 psychology classes in college so I think that makes me well qualified to say that , yes, you are paranoid :) and maybe a little delusional but it appears to be a happy delusion with snorkeling, sailing and swimming

Delusional? Just because I'm in my own little world when kayaking, sailing, and snorkeling? :rolleyes: It's the rest of the world who are not kayaking, sailing or snorkeling. :rolleyes:

As for the log length, I think that has more to do with the shift in focus to numbers over quality.

This. How much can you say about another LPC or guardrail cache? And most people that find 50 caches in a day can barely remember what those 50 caches were, much less a story about them.

I strive very hard to say something in each log about my search for a cache and I have been a phone-cacher the entire time.

Here is my concern.

I don't think it was GS that allowed the smart phone caching. That started independant of GS. They just jumped on the train before they were left behind.

I just for the first time read your QR code, Adronicus. It still works with the little GPS in there, although I didn't go there yet.

Oh, I could talk about newbie "TFTC" only logs all night, but I'll spare you that. :rolleyes: I will always believe they are mostly smartphone cacher related, rather than "numbers over quality". Although I do agree the latter has something to do with it.

No matter how many members GC.com gets, unscientific data by myself and other like-minded geeks in threads where it comes up shows every time that 50% of accounts are one day sign-ups that are never going to find or hide a cache. So no, their ain't no "3-4 million" Geocachers. Not even remotely close. :)

Edited by Mr.Yuck
Also, with a site opening up that allows geocaches to be instantly published with no review process

The new site is neat because when you go to log a cache it just says describe your search. There appears to be no requirement that you actually go to the cache so i log it as "searched on the computer and saw it there." Anarchy is a really cool thing.

Also, with a site opening up that allows geocaches to be instantly published with no review process , I think the sport will see some really interesting things happen. I am excited to see what those things will be. Lots more confrontation with non-geocachers, but will it make for more geocachers, or less? This will be the start of an interesting year.

I'm not excited at all. If this other site takes hold, it will be the death of the sport/game.

Hyperbole will be the death of this thread. :)

Hyperbole will be the death of this thread. :)

The "other site" i.e. Opencaching.com by Garmin does plan to have a "peer review" process. They are just in the BETA phase. Besides, the smaller, but still sizeable similar hobby of Letterboxing has basically never had a review process. They ain't imploded yet. :rolleyes:

Here is my concern.

Wow. I accurately predicted this thread wayyy back in 2006. :):rolleyes:

Edited by Snoogans
Also, with a site opening up that allows geocaches to be instantly published with no review process

The new site is neat because when you go to log a cache it just says describe your search. There appears to be no requirement that you actually go to the cache so i log it as "searched on the computer and saw it there." Anarchy is a really cool thing.

I like this!

Hyperbole will be the death of this thread. :rolleyes:

So, you think that the fact that people can now hide caches in an elementary school parking lots, or on NPS land where current Geocaching.com geocachers have been negotiating with the superintendent, helps the sport/game? Face it, our fellow geocachers have made great strides to help land managers understand what we do and what guild lines we follow. The other site has guild lines that mirror ours, unfortunately, they have no one to enforce them. People placing geocaches with no guidance can only give all of us a black eye.

Edited by Don_J

The "other site" i.e. Opencaching.com by Garmin does plan to have a "peer review" process. They are just in the BETA phase. Besides, the smaller, but still sizeable similar hobby of Letterboxing has basically never had a review process. They ain't imploded yet. :lol:

The letterboxing site hasn't had a major electronic company backing them. I received at least 15 Google News Alerts on this, all from PR sites.

Also, who will be the peer reviewers, a bunch of geocachers that committed geocide, or others that have been permanently locked. Like I want Ashnikes reviewing my cache.

Edited by Don_J

The "other site" i.e. Opencaching.com by Garmin does plan to have a "peer review" process. They are just in the BETA phase. Besides, the smaller, but still sizeable similar hobby of Letterboxing has basically never had a review process. They ain't imploded yet. :lol:

The letterboxing site hasn't had a major electronic company backing them. I received at least 15 Google News Alerts on this, all from PR sites.

Also, who will be the peer reviewers, a bunch of geocachers that committed geocide, or others that have been permanently locked. Like I want Ashnikes reviewing my cache.

It's really kind of early to condemn opencaching.com because they don't use the same reviewing process as geocaching.com. Opencaching has its own cache placement guidelines, but for the most part these are similar geocaching.com's. You need to get permission (none of this adequate stuff). Their guidelines state

If you’re hiding on public land, check with the authority that manages the land before you hide anything; the U.S. National Park Service and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service both prohibit geocaching. If you’re on private land, ask permission of the landowner and make sure to abide by all “no trespassing” signs and fences.
You must avoid sensitive area as well as areas that might give people cause for concern. You can't dig and must obey local laws. They even have a guideline about keeping your fellow cachers safe - which many people here seem to think in unnecessary.

I have to admit that the guidelines leave something to be desired in giving examples and rationale - but then I've complained that geocaching.com has some guidelines that are subject to interpretation.

It seems the idea will be for geocachers to report caches that don't comply with the guidelines. This is done current by an email link instead of a needs archive log, so essential the person reporting the violation remain anonymous. It isn't clear what the procedure will once the violation of guidelines is reported. I suspect that depending on the issues the cache will either be immediately archived or that they may disable the cache until the cache owner can show to a Garmin lackey that the cache complies with the guidelines. Cachers who repeatedly violate the guidelines are likely to have their accounts canceled and all their caches archived.

Assuming they don't get bogged down with trouble makers who report every cache, their review method could be very effective. Sure a bad cache might be published that would have been caught by a reviewer, but I bet they can be sure someone will report it soon after it gets published. In the meantime cachers will learn either to use common sense in their hides and be familiar with the guidelines if they expect their caches to remain listed.

The "other site" i.e. Opencaching.com by Garmin does plan to have a "peer review" process. They are just in the BETA phase. Besides, the smaller, but still sizeable similar hobby of Letterboxing has basically never had a review process. They ain't imploded yet. :rolleyes:

It's really kind of early to condemn opencaching.com because they don't use the same reviewing process as geocaching.com. Opencaching has its own cache placement guidelines, but for the most part these are similar geocaching.com's. You need to get permission

I have to admit that the guidelines leave something to be desired in giving examples and rationale - but then I've complained that geocaching.com has some guidelines that are subject to interpretation.

It seems the idea will be for geocachers to report caches that don't comply with the guidelines. This is done current by an email link instead of a needs archive log, so essential the person reporting the violation remain anonymous. It isn't clear what the procedure will once the violation of guidelines is reported. I suspect that depending on the issues the cache will either be immediately archived or that they may disable the cache until the cache owner can show to a Garmin lackey that the cache complies with the guidelines. Cachers who repeatedly violate the guidelines are likely to have their accounts canceled and all their caches archived.

Assuming they don't get bogged down with trouble makers who report every cache, their review method could be very effective. Sure a bad cache might be published that would have been caught by a reviewer, but I bet they can be sure someone will report it soon after it gets published. In the meantime cachers will learn either to use common sense in their hides and be familiar with the guidelines if they expect their caches to remain listed.

Off topic: They don't have to be overrun by troublemakers, just uninformed cachers. How many people know that placing a cache on DOT property, DNR owned/managed lands, and graveyards is banned in SC. A new cacher will not know that. On the other site their cache gets published and it may be months before someone reports it. This could lead to SC's lovely legislators to look towards banning geocaching as a whole again (they will not bother to learn the difference in the sites). A local reviewer is a must because how many people here actually read AND follow all guidelines.

On topic: We can only wait and see how this affects the game

Edited by IkeHurley13

BETA schmeta. Unless a cache listing site offers something significantly different from the experience and service you get here the only thing it will be good for is defeating the .1 rule that exists here. (Which is FUN for awhile, but it gets old.)

That's all Terracaching and Navicache have been good for.

All this talk about the death of geocaching is laughable. If anything, competition is a good thang.

Edited by Snoogans

I took 2 psychology classes in college so I think that makes me well qualified to say that , yes, you are paranoid :rolleyes: and maybe a little delusional but it appears to be a happy delusion with snorkeling, sailing and swimming

Delusional? Just because I'm in my own little world when kayaking, sailing, and snorkeling? :D It's the rest of the world who are not kayaking, sailing or snorkeling. :lol:

Just as a side note, I'm a diver and a kayaker and would love to try my hand at sailing :ph34r: If you ever need crew let me know :ph34r:

It's really kind of early to condemn opencaching.com because they don't use the same reviewing process as geocaching.com. Opencaching has its own cache placement guidelines, but for the most part these are similar geocaching.com's. You need to get permission (none of this adequate stuff). Their guidelines state

If you’re hiding on public land, check with the authority that manages the land before you hide anything; the U.S. National Park Service and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service both prohibit geocaching. If you’re on private land, ask permission of the landowner and make sure to abide by all “no trespassing” signs and fences.
You must avoid sensitive area as well as areas that might give people cause for concern. You can't dig and must obey local laws. They even have a guideline about keeping your fellow cachers safe - which many people here seem to think in unnecessary.

I've looked through the site, I do not see a way to report a bad cache.

I think the the next hike with TOZ might be entertaining.

Let's keep this thread focused on big picture, high level concepts - consistent with the OP and many of the replies. Post specific, detailed comparisons and criticisms of the new opencaching.com site in the separate, longer thread already running for that purpose. Thanks!

Daag, mister Stone, I wasn't aware that there was another thread. I would be happy to direct my comments, if you can post the link.

Let's keep this thread focused on big picture, high level concepts - consistent with the OP and many of the replies. Post specific, detailed comparisons and criticisms of the new opencaching.com site in the separate, longer thread already running for that purpose. Thanks!

Daag, mister Stone, I wasn't aware that there was another thread. I would be happy to direct my comments, if you can post the link.

*facepalm*

*facepalm*

It's easy to miss the other thread if you're not interested in discussing mascots.

Edited by tozainamboku