NEW COIN: 10 Years of Geocaching

ECplus3

Delta123 has asked me to start this thread on his behalf.

This year we've all been busy celebrating the 10th anniversary of geocaching. In May 2000, the first geocache was placed by Dave Ulmer. In the Netherlands the first cache (GC198 - Amsterdam Urban 1) was hidden by Unlikely Team on January 21, 2001 and first found by Bert on February 10, 2001.

Geocaching in the Netherlands will be 10 years old this January. To celebrate this, Delta123 has worked with me to design a coin celebrating the milestone.

The front features the flags of the 12 provinces of the Netherlands and in the centre the familiar colours of the Dutch flag and the outline of the country highlighting the location of the first cache. On the back is a very Dutch design representing a Delft plate. Around the edge are the famous decorative flowers and in the middle a traditional hiker with a modern twist.

The geocoin will be 50mm (2") in diameter and 3.5mm thick and will most likely have a few different finishes. The samples are currently being made.

This coin will be trackable and have a unique icon.

delta123_art.jpg

Nice! And /really/ nice use of print! I can't wait to see the samples. : )

Indeed, great looking coin!

What does "print" mean? Is that paper under epoxy?

No, that is two colour silkscreen printing on white enamel. The mint assures me that it is very durable and there is no need for epoxy to protect it. The 2009 Dutch coin used the same process for the tulips and I haven't heard of any of them wearing off.

These are fabulous! Will we be able to reserve any?

This is Delta123's project, so I can only report what he decides. He has set up his own website for the sale, but hasn't made a decision on which versions to have minted, though the number will be small. I may be selling a few on my website so that folks on this side of the pond can save on shipping. That too is up to Delta123.

These are fabulous! Will we be able to reserve any?

This is Delta123's project, so I can only report what he decides. He has set up his own website for the sale, but hasn't made a decision on which versions to have minted, though the number will be small. I may be selling a few on my website so that folks on this side of the pond can save on shipping. That too is up to Delta123.

Please encourage Delta123 to have a reservation and please sell them in the US! I know that I will reserve more than one.

Hi Folk's

Good to see there is interest for just a ordinary dutch geocoin ;)

The sample foto's are great and me and E&Cplus3 need to figure out which version we are gonna make.

We'll let you know asap(couple of day's)and where you can order them. As Chuck said i would like him to sell some to save you guy's shipping cost. So some will be sold on his website.

Now enough coinsstuff, a few hours till 2011 so i am gonna have a drink and a oliebol

Everyone a happy new year!!

The coins are finally shipping from the mint! Delta123 has allowed me to mint a small number to sell from my store. These will be available at noon Eastern on Friday Feb 11th.

The following quantities will be available:

30 Antique Bronze

35 Antique Silver (with white enamel ring)

12 Antique Nickel (with no enamel on front) LIMIT 1 PER CUSTOMER

The cost will be $12 Canadian per coin.

The details are up now on the website (http://phdcoins.ca) for you to have a look.

30 Antique Bronze

Does this mean, the antique silver is the only one not available in Delta123's shop?

30 Antique Bronze

Does this mean, the antique silver is the only one not available in Delta123's shop?

These three versions are the ones that Delta123 was pre-selling on his website. He used the picture of the antique silver without the white enamel ring even though the coin being offered does have enamel.