New in Guildford

aaron.west

Hi!

I am brand new to Geocaching and have just downloaded what looks to be quite a good app on my Android.

I wondered if anyone could nudge me towards a few "easy finds" in Guildford to get me started? I would rather not spend my first trip crawling around in stinging nettles since I might be less inclined to go out again, but I would like to give it a good crack so any input would be appreciated!

Also, I wondered if there were any organisations or local events where geocachers get together and go out as a group (either hunting or of course drinking!)?

Thanks all!

./APW

Hi!

I am brand new to Geocaching and have just downloaded what looks to be quite a good app on my Android.

I wondered if anyone could nudge me towards a few "easy finds" in Guildford to get me started? I would rather not spend my first trip crawling around in stinging nettles since I might be less inclined to go out again, but I would like to give it a good crack so any input would be appreciated!

Also, I wondered if there were any organisations or local events where geocachers get together and go out as a group (either hunting or of course drinking!)?

Thanks all!

./APW

Hi and welcome.

Look at some of the local church micros in Guildford by Woking Wanders they are only small containers but easy to find. Also the 2 sidetracked series at both Guildford Train stations are quite easy to find too.

There are lots of good larger caches around the surrey area if you can travel.

Not sure on events but also worth posting on the SE caching forum too.

http://www.secaching.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

Hi

To start with stick with a traditional cache and read some of the logs first which will give you an idea if it’s an easy find or not. Regular size caches will probably be easier to find at first than a micro.

There will be an event cache (a get together with cachers in a pub) toward the end of January in the Woking area so look out for that and you can pick up all the info you need, and a pint. 

Good luck

Edited by sadexploration

As well as checking on the SE Caching forum there are a few other ways to check on up-coming event caches near you:

You can see them listed on the G.A.G.B's Geocaching Events calendar

They'll be listed on the Groundspeak weekly newletter that you receive

They are listed just like any other geocache so they'll appear if you do an address search by (name of town) UK, or postcode. Look for the Event Cache icon

icon-geocaching-event-pin-geopin_Event-medium-200x250.jpg

Advanced Search page

Welcome to the game :rolleyes:

MrsB

Go up the A3 to the junction with M25 and park at the Royal Horticultural Society Wisley. You can do a circular walk called the Wisley Wander from there. It's about 5-6 miles, 20 odd caches of different sizes, mostly easy to find if I recall. You can also add on the Ockham Common series, which is 10 on a 2-3 mile circuit which links in quite easily. Have a look at geocachetrails.com for series in the area. We're lucky in this part of the South East, there are loads of cache trails around the area.