Eastern Europe Caches

K9Sports

Heading to Eastern Europe the end of the month for some sightseeing and, of course, geocaching.

Hitting Germany,Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia, and Slovania. Maybe 1 or 2 other countries. General idea of the route but nothing in stone. Won't even make hotel reservations until I figure out where I'll be sleeping that night.

TONS of Geocaches in those countries. Even the Czech Republic has Geocaching in it's official tourism website - http://www.czechtourism.com/holiday/Active-holidays.aspx

Since I am limited on time (7 days), I would like to get a list of not-to-miss caches if I could.

Any suggestions on which caches to hit would be appreciated.

Heading to Eastern Europe the end of the month for some sightseeing and, of course, geocaching.

Hitting Germany,Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia, and Slovania. Maybe 1 or 2 other countries. General idea of the route but nothing in stone. Won't even make hotel reservations until I figure out where I'll be sleeping that night.

Seven to nine countries in 7 days, if I read your post correctly. That is quite the push! You had better search for caches only in train stations if you are going to pull that one off. That type of speed traveling is sometimes referred to "tagging cities" among backpackers. I wish you Godspeed on your journey.

Seven to nine countries in 7 days, if I read your post correctly. That is quite the push! You had better search for caches only in train stations if you are going to pull that one off. That type of speed traveling is sometimes referred to "tagging cities" among backpackers. I wish you Godspeed on your journey.

Agreed. Try to spend two or three days in one place. Košice is going to be a big part of our trip when we go. It seems absolutely beautiful from the pictures I've seen, plus it's one of the European Capitals of Culture in 2013!

TONS of Geocaches in those countries. Even the Czech Republic has Geocaching in it's official tourism website - http://www.czechtourism.com/holiday/Active-holidays.aspx

Since I am limited on time (7 days), I would like to get a list of not-to-miss caches if I could.

Any suggestions on which caches to hit would be appreciated.

IF you are a Firefox user, you can get the GCVote Greasemonkey script, and see how the locals voted.

The Europeans (especially the Germans!) are pretty big on it's use, and there are usually enough votes on any particular cache to give a fair indication of quality. The star ratings show up on the GC.com maps for easily checking the caches in the area you plan to visit.

Of course even what the locals consider pedestrian would probably be awesome to an American tourist! :)

Didn't cache there but I loved Slovenia. Ljubljana is a great city (I'm better geocaches are there) in the older part of town. I like Ptuj and Porotoroz as well.

I'm pretty sure Postojna caves have a virtual or something there. Neat cave system.

Bovec and up in the mountains is neat. If you can find a cache on the Soca river try that one.

I've done quite a bit of caching in Budapest and Prague; both are wonderful cities.

In Budapest, most memorable were caches in the 12th district, including this one GC1RX5K. Not only the caches but how to get there; we rode on a cog railway, then a railway operated by children, and then came back down on a chairlift.

In Prague, most memorable for me was going up Petrin Hill on the funicular, and finding caches such as GCMG51. Caching in Czech Republic is so popular that cachers sign the log with the time as well as the day. It was not unusual for me to find I was the 5th or 6th person to find a specific cache on that day.

FunnyNose has mentioned two of my favorites from Prague and Dubrovnik. In Prague, I also have always just loved the views from Strelecký ostrov looking north towards the St. Charles Bridge. The beer is great at U fleku also.

Slovakia - Tons around Bratislava. I really liked Cumil :: Man at work downtown, but it tens to get muggled a lot, so it may not be available. Still worth checking out the spot.

Slovenia: I only cached around Kranjska Gora and went south up into the Carpathian Alps. I can definitely recommend this beautiful area, absolutely gorgeous and some fun caches as well.

Hungary: Castle Hill in Budapest has a TON of caches. Really wish we'd been caching when we went there, it was still about 6 months before we got into it. There is a cache at a really cool area outside of town, Statue Park/Szoborpark, where they moved all of the old Soviet statues after the Communists lost power. Park website is here.

Germany: You need to narrow it down to where you think you'll be. We lived there for five years and that's where we started caching, we have over 1400 finds and have cached in every Bundesland. So I could be here all day! :rolleyes: