Interesting Survey Marker - Austin, TX

zionzr2

I don't know if it is coincidental or related, but I find it curious that right near that location Google Earth showed a business called "The Benchmark Company". I thought at first they might even have placed that out there as a business display or draw, but their website indicates they are a market research firm

( http://www.thebenchmarkcompany.net/ )

Seems pretty coincidental to me! I noticed no such business as I was walking by. But I was busy looking down for marks. The mark profile is barley visible with the Google street-view next door and to the south of that indicated business. I only saw it on street-view b/c I know what and where to look.

I also submitted a page for it on the waymaking site.

I'm still very much a noob to all this. Only had my GPS for a week. Learning the ropes as fast as I can.

The City of Birmingham Engineering Dept. places benchmarks in curbs here, and none are listing in the GC or NGS database. Sounds like a city or county mark.

Here is a City of Birmingham curb mark that I listed as a waymark...

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM996W_..._Benchmark_H_12

Its definitely a city mark. Trying to get it approved at Waymarking.com it was rejected at first but I resubmitted and still waiting.

Since I don't live anywhere near Texas, I probably won't be searching for it anytime soon, would you mind posting the picture?

Seeing how I don't seem to know or able to find enough information about this mark to post this on the Waymarking site,

Here is the Pic:

5258600471_5d3812c419.jpg

They have a map of survey markers.

If you are interested in recovering them you might want to contact their GIS or engineering department and see if they have any interest. I recently completed the recovery of 240 markers in a nearby county with the blessing of their GIS department.

I didn't find any online datasheets, but then again I didn't give it my best effort.