What is your definition of "Power Cacher"?

I have seen this term used here and there. I have even used it a couple of times. But what does it take to be a "Power Cacher"?

Do you become one after a single big run or do you need to do a certain number caches a year to become a power cacher. If you do 5 caches a day every day of the week year round, are you more of a power cacher than someone that only caches on the weekends for a total of 40 over two days and does this each and every weekend.

So the question is: What is your definition of a Power Cacher?

Edited by Tobias & Petronella
I have seen this term used here and there. I have even used it a couple of times. But what does it take to be a "Power Cacher"?

Do you become one after a single big run or do you need to do a certain number caches a year to become a power cacher. If you do 5 caches a day every day of the week year round, are you more of a power cacher than someone that only caches on the weekends for a total of 40 over two days and does this each and every weekend.

5 caches a day is a retired person. 40 caches over two days is a busy cacher. 40 or more caches in one day is a power cacher. +80 caches/day every time you go out is a Bobcam.

+80 caches/day every time you go out is a Bobcam.

Easy to do if you drop a 'replacement' for every cache you can't find.

Yes, he tried it on one of my caches.

DELETE!

Well, if he did, I can assure you he either had very good reason to believe he should, or his values have dropped since I last cached with him. I can remember once when we both left a throwdown, but we found the old container, pages of a log, and swag scattered about. We took a picture and emailed the cache owner with details. No... Bob will climb a 60 degree slope in 3 feet of snow and spend half an hour digging through the snow to find the cache. I've had to literally grab him by the sleeve and drag him away at times.

Those that have found all the "Power69" caches. :D

A "Power Cacher" is someone who drives from LPC to LPC, or guardrail, to roadside reflector (repeating the monotony all day).

Their goal is to "find the maximum number of "smilies per day," and share their experiences with nothing but "cut & paste" logs.

They also like to leave 35mm canisters with their signature, when it takes them more then a few minutes to find your cache.

A "Power Cacher" is someone who drives from LPC to LPC, or guardrail, to roadside reflector (repeating the monotony all day).

Their goal is to "find the maximum number of "smilies per day," and share their experiences with nothing but "cut & paste" logs.

They also like to leave 35mm canisters with their signature, when it takes them more then a few minutes to find your cache.

Not at all true in the case of the particular power cacher that I mentioned above (aside from the "find the maximum number" part).

I don't have a definition of "power cacher." I don't see that it's necessary to categorize geocachers like this.

I agree. But since words have meaning and the term "Power Cacher" has been used when talking about this game we play, what is meant when someone says it?

I normally don't put things or people into small little categories, but instead broad, open-ended concepts, such as "Puzzle People" to described those that like and are good at making and solving puzzles. Even though these same people may be good at other things, for simplistic sake I would use that term when talking about them in relations to puzzles or the type of caches that they are most known for or their ability to work puzzles.

One of the reasons I asked the question, "What is your definition of "Power Cacher" is that I don't have a good definition for it. On our profile page I state that we are not power cachers. Up until now, anyone who found a lot of caches in a short space of time, I felt would be one. But after looking at our stats from the past year, I see that we might fall into that category according to some, but not others. As far as I'm concerned we are not, but at the same time I was wondering who might be a power cacher, and where is line that they crossed to become one.

Easy to do if you drop a 'replacement' for every cache you can't find.

Yes, he tried it on one of my caches.

DELETE!

Well, if he did, I can assure you he either had very good reason to believe he should, or his values have dropped since I last cached with him. I can remember once when we both left a throwdown, but we found the old container, pages of a log, and swag scattered about. We took a picture and emailed the cache owner with details.

Still not a justification for a throwdown, IMO. The proper action would have been to log a DNF, notify the owner with the details, and let the owner decide what to do.

Or actually, if you found the container and a log, i could even see logging a find and a NM, but still not a container that the owner never intended to have there.

Edited by hukilaulau

Still not a justification for a throwdown, IMO. The proper action would have been to log a DNF, notify thwo owner with the details, and let the owner decide what to do.

Most cachers don't frequent these forums and would have no idea of what the commonly accepted etiquette is in such matters. Some would say that it is better to put something down for the next guy that comes along, until the cache owner can fix things up. Both sides of the argument have valid points. The point that I'm trying to make is that Bobcam is no throwdown slouch. He has earned his finds... believe me, I know that all too well from having cached with him. Edited by knowschad

Still not a justification for a throwdown, IMO. The proper action would have been to log a DNF, notify thwo owner with the details, and let the owner decide what to do.

Most cachers don't frequent these forums and would have no idea of what the commonly accepted etiquette is in such matters. Some would say that it is better to put something down for the next guy that comes along, until the cache owner can fix things up. Both sides of the argument have valid points. The point that I'm trying to make is that Bobcam is no throwdown slouch. He has earned his finds... believe me, I know that all too well from having cached with him.

OK, I agree that there are different opinions on this. (Also I edited my post to say a find under the circumstances you described seems reasonable.)

I think the term 'power cacher' often indicates a numbers-oriented cacher, when used . . . however, how can you measure that numbers guy against one who targets high difficulty/high terrain caches as his choice of cache . . . running near to 5/5 as a rule is really power caching to me.

Edited by GRANPA ALEX

I don't have a definition of "power cacher." I don't see that it's necessary to categorize geocachers like this.

I agree. But since words have meaning and the term "Power Cacher" has been used when talking about this game we play, what is meant when someone says it?

I had never heard this term before this topic came up on the forum. Power trail? Yes. Power cacher? No.

ost cachers don't frequent these forums and would have no idea of what the commonly accepted etiquette is in such matters. Some would say that it is better to put something down for the next guy that comes along, until the cache owner can fix things up. Both sides of the argument have valid points. The point that I'm trying to make is that Bobcam is no throwdown slouch. He has earned his finds... believe me, I know that all too well from having cached with him.

A power cacher is someone who goes out and finds a bunch of caches more so than the average cacher. Some of the others who find a bunch of caches might not consider that person to be as much of a power cacher, as compared to them. Yeah, whatever.

So, what does that mean? Sign the dadgum logbook already and don't replace caches without owner permission.

So, what does that mean? Sign the dadgum logbook already and don't replace caches without owner permission.

Sorry, but you would have a pretty big fight on your hands if you came to an event around here and made that statement. I know how "we" feel about it here in the forums, but that is not the local sentiment, whether you approve of it, or not.

Sorry, but you would have a pretty big fight on your hands if you came to an event around here and made that statement. I know how "we" feel about it here in the forums, but that is not the local sentiment, whether you approve of it, or not.

Nope, don't buy it.

Power Rating = SUM ALL(Cache found * D * T)

So a 1/1 cache is worth 1 point; a 5/5 cache is worth 25.

Twenty-five 2/2s are worth 100 1/1s.

Or twenty 2.5/2s or eleven 3/3s.

That levels the playing ground a bit.

I've got 106 finds, and according to MyGeocachingProfile.com, I average 1.65/1.54 for difficulty/terrain. That makes my Power Rating 269. (106*1.65*1.54)

Edited by DLSeeAmerica

Power Rating = SUM ALL(Cache found * D * T)

So a 1/1 cache is worth 1 point; a 5/5 cache is worth 25.

Twenty-five 2/2s are worth 100 1/1s.

Or twenty 2.5/2s or eleven 3/3s.

That levels the playing ground a bit.

I've got 106 finds, and according to MyGeocachingProfile.com, I average 1.65/1.54 for difficulty/terrain. That makes my Power Rating 269. (106*1.65*1.54)

Gross.

Nope, don't buy it.

That's your choice. I'm just telling you how it is around here.

Power Cacher?? Lets see, now. Maybe someone on an ego trip that thinks the more you can find in a day the better?? Maybe not. Anyway, not me, I do it for the enjoyment of the find, the numbers don't mean squat to me. Power cacher? Who cares. Not me.

I'm not a "power cacher" by any definition but I also recognize that there are some geocachers that are and that's just how they play the game. No need to label them as being on an ego trip.

To me, a power cacher is more about a mentality rather than pure numbers. You can't look at a profile and see that they have 5000 finds and automatically label them a power cacher. There are just too many factors which can contribute to high (or low) numbers. A power cacher, to me, is just someone that places finding as many caches as possible, and as a result get a high number of smilies, as the primary goal for geocaching.

A power cacher prefers easy caches to difficult hides. A power cacher would rather look for caches close to the road then spend a long time walking/hiking down a trail. A power cacher prefers traditional caches over mulit-caches as that latter requires more effort for just one smiley. If you look in the dictionary for the term power cachers you'll find Ventura Kids picture next to it.

My personal definition is that a power cacher is one who will go on an all day hike just to find a couple of caches. A repetitive cacher is one who will get as many finds as possible, repeating the same experience over and over. And a compulsive cacher will seek anything they pass. These are not exclusive and one person can be all three - at least so my wife tells me.

However, I have been curious about how repetitive caching trails became "power trails" and compulsive cachers became "powerful." The most that I can gather is that people wanted to describe something in the most positive light and the name stuck. That's fine. I don't expect various caching "leaderboards" to be changed to "obsessive-compulsive" rankings.

If you look in the dictionary for the term power cachers you'll find Ventura Kids picture next to it.

I don't know. VK is currently averaging only 7.479 finds a day and manages to post here every so often. I am not sure that this gets the picture in the dictionary.

Speed cacher is another entry.

Edited by mulvaney
Power Cacher?? Lets see, now. Maybe someone on an ego trip that thinks the more you can find in a day the better?? Maybe not. Anyway, not me, I do it for the enjoyment of the find, the numbers don't mean squat to me. Power cacher? Who cares. Not me.

Wouldn't the ego prize instead go to those people who felt that how they preferred to cache was superior to how somebody else prefers to cache?

Well, one day my family and I went out and cached all day in a park, and found 7 caches. (looked for 9). It was a large park and we walked a lot of it. We were exhausted and dirty at the end of the day, but satisfied that we had "power cached". :)

Basically, my definition of power caching is to cache, cache, cache, all day long, with little time to stop and enjoy the scenery. Mainly a numbers run.

Caching D/T 5/5 would be Extreme Caching. (which I'd love to try!) :rolleyes:

My personal definition is that a power cacher is one who will go on an all day hike just to find a couple of caches. A repetitive cacher is one who will get as many finds as possible, repeating the same experience over and over. And a compulsive cacher will seek anything they pass. These are not exclusive and one person can be all three - at least so my wife tells me.

However, I have been curious about how repetitive caching trails became "power trails" and compulsive cachers became "powerful." The most that I can gather is that people wanted to describe something in the most positive light and the name stuck. That's fine. I don't expect various caching "leaderboards" to be changed to "obsessive-compulsive" rankings.

No no no. You ALLLL have it wrong. :lol::ph34r:

The only cachers with power are the hiders. We/They get you to spend your free quality time, gas, supplies, and effort finding our caches and we owe you exactly nothing beyond properly cooked coords, guideline compliance, and the occasional maintenance visit. :ph34r:

I laugh when peope with X-number of finds think they are power cachers. Hiders have the power and THAT'S where the name "Power Trail" comes from in my dictionary. :D:rolleyes: