Anyone try a 32gb MicoSD in their Oregon?

Cacheoholic

I filled up the 8gb memory in my Oregon 550 so jumped up to a 32gb card. The GPS can’t read it. I connect the GPS to my PC and I can see all data through my GPS as a reader but the GPS can’t read the maps. Any ideas? I’m thinking about partitioning the card unless someone has other thoughts.

Not much help, but the maximum I've heard anyone trying successfully was 16GB (Sandisk). Personally, I run a 8GB Sandisk on my Dakota 20.

As I continue to play I have sent a few new map segments from MapSend to the 32 GB card and they work. I remove this new IMG file by cutting from the card and pasting to my desktop. Then I cut from the desktop and paste back on the card. I pop it back in and guess what? No map. I hate to think that I will have to re-generate almost 8 GB of maps. That would take a couple days.

As I continue to play I have sent a few new map segments from MapSend to the 32 GB card and they work. I remove this new IMG file by cutting from the card and pasting to my desktop. Then I cut from the desktop and paste back on the card. I pop it back in and guess what? No map. I hate to think that I will have to re-generate almost 8 GB of maps. That would take a couple days.

Sounds like you're making this all into one map.img, which would take forever as you describe. Why not break the maps down into a few smaller separate .img files? Your Oregon allows you to have multiple mapsets in separate files.

No, I have separate IMG files for each map set. Also I believe there might be a limit of 14 IMG files on the Oregon.

I generate a complete map set when I get a new map and keep a backup on my PC. Then I can simply copy and paste the IMG file either in the GPS or on the microSd. Here’s what I have on my 8 GB card that I’m trying to put on a 32 GB.

1) City Navigator North America

2) Topo US 100K

3) Topo US 24K Northeast

4) City Navigator Mexico

5) Some Topo US 24K Mid-Atlantic

6) Land Ownership

7) My Trails

This covers most areas I could be sent to with one email or phone call. Occasionally I load some City Navigator Europe and South America maps but use a separate card because of memory size and map tile limit.

I continued on my conquest last night. I can load one map segment of City Navigator and the GPS reads it. I regenerate all City Navigator and nothing. I tried the same with Topo US 24K Northeast with the same results. I partitioned the card down to 16 GB but that didn’t work either.

I have 7.3 GB of maps on 8 GB external memory and 0.4 GB of maps internal for a total of 7.7 GB maps, under 4000 map segments and all works. I know a single file cannot exceed 4 GB but that’s not dictated by the GPS but by the Windows 32 bit system. Problem is, it won't work on either of my 32 GB microSd cards.