Geocaching in Winter

TerryV6

Well, I looked outside and saw that we got our first blanket of snow. I just started caching in the fall. I am wondering how many people continue into the winter time. I don't see anything on the search page if you want to filter for "winter friendly" sites. Are we down and out until Spring.? :huh:

TerryV6

I don't see anything on the search page if you want to filter for "winter friendly" sites. Are we down and out until Spring.? <_<

Not sure what you mean. There IS a winter attribute you can filter your PQ by.

Another way to find caches in the winter is to look for ones found recently. You might even be able to follow the footprints directly to the cache! Just make sure you look at your GPSr from time to time. I once followed footprints down a trail ASSUMING they were from a geocacher ... they weren't! :huh:

Well, I looked outside and saw that we got our first blanket of snow. I just started caching in the fall. I am wondering how many people continue into the winter time. I don't see anything on the search page if you want to filter for "winter friendly" sites. Are we down and out until Spring.? :D

TerryV6

Terry,

Winter is my favorite time of the year to geocache and judging from the logs I get on my caches it seems to be popular among many others. If there is snow on the ground it takes some skill and luck, but in general there are few things like braving the winds, snow and sub zero temps to find a geocache. Well there is skiing, but when I can't ski geocaching is certainly a great alternative.

I love caching in the winter, especially with snow on the ground and when a hike near the lake is required. Beautiful. I think winter caching is fun. You just have to be well prepared!

Just today I went winter caching: it was a bitter 50 degrees out in Oklahoma, and I had to bundle up in a jacket and buy some hot chocolate! :D

Without leaves on the trees and shrubs, you can see ten times as far as you could in the summertime. You can take in scenic views that are hidden other times of the year.

GPSr accuracy increases with a clearer view of the sky.

Oh yes, short days. So get a headlamp and backup flashlight and go for it! Nighttime caching in the snow is really neat. The white snow makes it surprisingly light at night, especially with a full moon.

Welcome to Geocaching TerryV6!

Winter Geocaching means no bugs, no ticks, easier bushwhacking and less muggles. Carry a stick to poke through the snow. All those "5" terrain island caches are now a easy hike/ski/snowshoe walk. A blizzard and -30 means that you have a better chance for that elusive FTF.

Up here in the Great White North, in Edmonton, Alberta, we have our Cache and Release event in our wintery March. Look up CARW2009 and CARW2010 for some of the stories and pictures.

Just make sure to dress for the weather and carry a backpack with winter safety supplies.

Enjoy your winter geocaching adventures.

Our family just started in July.

We live in Iowa.

Friday night, with snow on the ground, fog in the air with found our first winter, night cache.

We made the mistake of following someone else's footprints in the snow and went the "hard" way.

We eventually found it and it was lots of fun!

Another cache was rated a 1.5/1.5.

We found the location but the snow was too deep for anything like a serious search.

Regardless, we had lots of fun!

Happy Geocaching! - hawkeyetob

Hey Terry, I'm from Appleton also. I find that as of lately, I have been caching less, more so because of it getting dark before I'm out of work. Snow won't stop me though, matter of fact, I just invested in new winter gear to keep me warmer while I'm out and about. I was out caching with my daughters in the snow last year, and will this year.

Funny, I see we were at the same event last night. By your profile pic, I may have seen you there. I didn't get to talk to as many people as I would have liked, but my daughters being tired, were requiring more of my attention than expected.

:)

Edited by isjustus4

Another thing is the shortness of the days. It gets dark here by 4pm and since work doesn't allow us out until then, that limits us to weekends..

Nah...just need a good headlamp or flashlight.

The days are even shorter in Alaska and while it's true cache placing and hiding slow down in winter, they are alive and well. Just yesterday there was an outdoor event that included finding a newly published night cache.

See Little Su Winter Blast Bash and Houston Lil Su Night Cache.

753b6a6c-c324-44fa-9a95-e5b07891ede4.jpg

Hey Terry, I'm from Appleton also. I find that as of lately, I have been caching less, more so because of it getting dark before I'm out of work. Snow won't stop me though, matter of fact, I just invested in new winter gear to keep me warmer while I'm out and about. I was out caching with my daughters in the snow last year, and will this year.

Funny, I see we were at the same event last night. By your profile pic, I may have seen you there. I didn't get to talk to as many people as I would have liked, but my daughters being tired, were requiring more of my attention than expected.

:rolleyes:

I probably saw you there but for me, everyone was a new face. It was interesting to put faces to the names...

TerryV6

I love caching in winter myself. But it is important to remember that winter has its own set of hazards and you need to be prepared

>Even more important to let someone know where you are going/when you'll be back.

>Check the weather forcast before heading out

>Make sure you car is up to the task (Tires, battery)

>Take some supplies (extra clothes, food, sleeping bag, water) if you are traveling any distance.

>Be able to communicate (cell phone, radio)

>Dress properly and in layers. don't forget mittens and a hat

>Remember to stay dry. Being wet robs you of heat.

>Winter air is drier and the cold will wear you out quicker, know your limitations.

Check the FEMA.GOV site for more info. Click on A-Z Index and scroll down to Winter hazards