Souvenirs

Geobuzzbee

i had at least 4 Souvenirs now only 1? i know its only art! i think it was on my 50th find i was given a few but they have gone?? :D any one else lost Souvenirs?

Scanning the caches you have found I can not see that you should have any other than the 10/10/10 one, what have you lost?

caches iv found! i was gifted 3 in 1 day after my 50 finds which was way after the 10.10.10...im ;) y give um to just take them back

Edited by Geobuzzbee

I wasn't aware that you could be gifted them - I was under the impression you had to earn them??

Was it Groundspeak who gifted them to you? If not, you might find TPTB are having a clean up and only allowing people to have the souvenirs that they have genuinely earned and have the right to display. :D

I know when they first appeared a small number of people were logging qualifying caches and then deleting the log just to get the souvenir - I didn't see the point personally - why feel the need to display something you haven't earned fairly?? This is just me speculating, but could it be that you've been part of a clean up??

i had at least 4 Souvenirs now only 1? i know its only art! i think it was on my 50th find i was given a few but they have gone?? :D any one else lost Souvenirs?

Scanning the caches you have found I can not see that you should have any other than the 10/10/10 one, what have you lost?

caches iv found! i was gifted 3 in 1 day after my 50 finds which was way after the 10.10.10...im ;) y give um to just take them back

"Gifted 3 in 1 day..." ;)

As others have said, the souvenirs appear on profiles according to which caches you've found in specific states/countries, although I know a few people have been awarded "stray" souvenirs for moving and/or locationless caches. It sounds like your "gift" may have been due to a temporary rift in the space time continuum which has now been corrected and patched up.

MrsB

"Gifted 3 in 1 day..." ;)

As others have said, the souvenirs appear on profiles according to which caches you've found in specific states/countries, although I know a few people have been awarded "stray" souvenirs for moving and/or locationless caches. It sounds like your "gift" may have been due to a temporary rift in the space time continuum which has now been corrected and patched up.

MrsB

3 probably bit over the top,looked back on caches iv found to try work out when it was that Groundspeak gave me more like 2 souvenirs(by there mistake) but cant work out when!! iv never logged a cache iv not found so cant be my fault,but they have gone so i probably dint earn them,must of been "strays"

I got 2 random US state souvenirs a couple of weeks or so ago, which I couldn't work out why I had got them, and they have now gone, which is fine by me as, as I said, I never worked out how I got them in the first place. I'm afraid I can't remember exactly what they were or which cache I logged when I got them. I've just got the mega and the 10/10/10 ones now.

Is there anywhere to see what souvenirs are available and what you have to do to earn them? If you are supposed to earn them, rather than get them as a nice surprize when you log a cache, it would be useful to know what you have to do. If I knew that I might try and get a few more.

I got 2 random US state souvenirs a couple of weeks or so ago, which I couldn't work out why I had got them, and they have now gone, which is fine by me as, as I said, I never worked out how I got them in the first place. I'm afraid I can't remember exactly what they were or which cache I logged when I got them. I've just got the mega and the 10/10/10 ones now.

Is there anywhere to see what souvenirs are available and what you have to do to earn them? If you are supposed to earn them, rather than get them as a nice surprize when you log a cache, it would be useful to know what you have to do. If I knew that I might try and get a few more.

id like to know to! mine were just art by a name i cant remember

Here is the Souvenirs Announcement Topic: "List of Released Souvenirs"

Here is where you can vote for having the United Kingdom souvenir released: Souvenirs Forum - Vote for a UK souvenir

Here is where you can vote for to have a London souvenir released: Souvenirs Forum - Vote for a London souvenir.

There are some "interesting" ideas for various souvenirs on that forum.

MrsB

Thanks MrsB - have had a browse through the forum and used a few votes :D It would be nice if there were more souvenirs available here, especially some of the challange type ones you could work towards rather than 'just' finding a cache in a particular area, although gathering a set of souvenirs for all countries of the UK or areas or something would be cool.

Yes, it would be nice to have a few more here in UK.

As many cachers try to colour in the counties map I think it would be fun to have a souvenir icon for each county in the UK but that's an ambitious target that may take a long time to hit!

MrsB

P.S. And I hope Groundspeak will produce a "Delete Souvenir" button soon so that those don't like the Souvenirs at all will be able to zap them off their profile tab and stop whinging. :D

Never bothered to investigate what 'Souvenirs' were 'til I read this thread. A quick search of my profile reveals that I have two... One for the Scottish Mega Event... fair enough, I was there... and one for "Delaware State". What's that all about? Never set foot on the US mainland in my life!!

one for "Delaware State". What's that all about? Never set foot on the US mainland in my life!!

Same for me, but I've managed to pick up a New Jersey souvenir due to the Peter Pan series (now defunct).

going by the past(gifted) earned(however there given) 'Souvenirs', They will soon be retracted, :):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Never bothered to investigate what 'Souvenirs' were 'til I read this thread. A quick search of my profile reveals that I have two... One for the Scottish Mega Event... fair enough, I was there... and one for "Delaware State". What's that all about? Never set foot on the US mainland in my life!!

Could be due to the (archived) Delaware State cache finds you've logged? I don't think that Locationless should count though, really.

Could be due to the (archived) Delaware State cache finds you've logged? I don't think that Locationless should count though, really.

You could be right... It would appear that I've logged two "Locationless" caches that originated in Delaware... GC406F and GC48C5

I guess that virtually :D everyone who attended the Harrogate and Perth Mega Events will now have a Niedersachsen souvenir for GCKTK0 Fast Forward - Such den Bulli

'kin Stupid isn't it!!! :anicute::) :)

At least WE have actually been caching in Niedersachsen!!

I queried this on Facebook and on Feedback as I could see this was going to happen

Predictably, TPTB took no notice

Mark

Edited by Delta68
my souvenirs have vanished, and I think I should have two. Isn't this what the OP asked? has anybody else got this (minor) problem?

Yep, my 10/10/10 one has gone, as have the ones for a couple of other profiles I looked at. I presume it'll be back when all the hamsters are back in their wheels...

Edited by JeremyR

my souvenirs have vanished, and I think I should have two. Isn't this what the OP asked? has anybody else got this (minor) problem?

I already had the 10/10/10-souvenir and today I got a mail from Groundspeak that I was awarded the Czech Republic Souvenir. When I wanted to see what it looked like, I saw that I had no souvenir at all.

Edited by Meriadoc-NL

Had an email about getting the Czech souvenir, and I had 10/10/10. Both missing, presumed eaten by the upgrade.

I am only glad to see I am not only one experiencing this problem. I got email about Czech souvenir and some from Germany I guess... (and I am waiting when London geocaching citizens choose their souvenir)

Fancy a swap?

I have a New Jersey State souvenir. I spent 2 hours at DC airport once, in transit to somewhere better :P

Whats the point of these souvenirs? I really dont see what they add to the experience of finding hidden boxes in interesting and new locations. I wonder if geocaching really needs all these "extras". I can see the point of Travel Bugs but the vast proliferation of geocoins leaves me cold and now souvenirs too. I suppose I'll be OK because as I never log finds online I'll not be exposed to them. :P

I suppose I'll be OK because as I never log finds online I'll not be exposed to them. :angry:

Never?

Or not anymore? <_<

Soz but I'm still curious about why someone wouldn't log on line?

But that is going off topic so may start another thread.... :P

As for the souvenirs:

I like my 10 10 10 .... but just don't really see the point in them to be honest.

but just as I don't bother with the Geocoins, I also know a lot of folk love them so .....(shrugs)

It's not as if they are in your face though are they?

You have to click on souvenirs to see them..... :P

I recieved this email:

"Greetings burtsbodgers,

Congratulations! You have been awarded the Niedersachsen Souvenir.

This Souvenir was retroactively awarded to you based on your Geocaching.com find history.

Souvenirs are virtual pieces of art that you can uncover in the world. They are usually associated with a particular location but may also be bound by time.

To view your new Souvenir, login and visit:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/souvenirs.aspx

Learn more about Souvenirs

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?p...page&id=272

Happy Geocaching!

Cheers,

The Groundspeak Team"

However their does not seem to anything other than my 101010, dont know why :) is there any way of finding out what it should be for and what it looks like, just out of curiosity or did i just kill a cat :blink:

Edited by burtsbodgers

I recieved this email:

"Greetings burtsbodgers,

This Souvenir was retroactively awarded to you based on your Geocaching.com find history.

Souvenirs are virtual pieces of art that you can uncover in the world. They are usually associated with a particular location but may also be bound by time.

Happy Geocaching!

Cheers,

The Groundspeak Team"

However their does not seem to anything other than my 101010, dont know why :) is there any way of finding out what it should be for and what it looks like, just out of curiosity or did i just kill a cat :blink:

I now have the 10/10/10-souvenir, the Czech Republic-souvenir and the Nordrhein-Westfalen-souvenir and there is nothing wrong with them. I had this year caches in both places an on the 10th october.

Next summer holliday I will visit the south-west of the US. I see that you can recieve souvenirs of the several states you visit.

I really don't see why some people don't like these 'gifts'. You can see it as some sort of achievement.

I recieved this email:

"Greetings burtsbodgers,

Happy Geocaching!

Cheers,

The Groundspeak Team"

The Frog giveth, the Frog taketh away. :anibad:

We've got the Niedersachsen souvenir, you can see it on our profile, we received it for logging the Virtual cache mentioned in post #22 above.

And Lawks a mercy! We've also just been gifted the Nordrhein-Westfalen souvenir...

I was a bit concerned about this one but MrB has just reassured me that we are entitled to it because he's found caches in that region.

Phew! What a relief... :blink:

MrsB

Edited for breathing space

Edited by The Blorenges

Mrs B.

Have you just admitted that you were not physically present at all of your finds? :anibad:

I have been physically present for 98.8% of our finds. MrB has been present for 97.6% of our finds. So that averaged out means we've been there for 98.2% of 100% of our finds... :)

Ummm

And for the other 1.8% we were there in spirit. :blink:

Yeah

That works for me.

:blink:

MrsB

The US state ones are all a bit samey though.

That's a very odd opinion.

They all look totally different, and IMO the artist has done a very good job.

The German ones look much more interesting, the US ones are pretty poor to my mind. PS US States are being added in the sequence the states joined the union.

What's poor about them? :) I'm genuinely confused. They look brilliant. You're not just talking about the icons, are you?

As for those who "can't see the point", fine but you can just ignore them; they don't hurt. They're just something nice to collect. A lot of people wouldn't geocache at all if you couldn't make a collection of things (cache finds, trackables). Look at all the profiles with stats on them.

Just like some people collecting Toby mugs or stamps, it appeals to the collecting instinct; and that is stronger in some than others, but no need to grumble because you don't get it.

The US state ones are all a bit samey though.

That's a very odd opinion.

They all look totally different, and IMO the artist has done a very good job.

The German ones look much more interesting, the US ones are pretty poor to my mind. PS US States are being added in the sequence the states joined the union.

What's poor about them? :blink: I'm genuinely confused. They look brilliant. You're not just talking about the icons, are you?

As for those who "can't see the point", fine but you can just ignore them; they don't hurt. They're just something nice to collect. A lot of people wouldn't geocache at all if you couldn't make a collection of things (cache finds, trackables). Look at all the profiles with stats on them.

Just like some people collecting Toby mugs or stamps, it appeals to the collecting instinct; and that is stronger in some than others, but no need to grumble because you don't get it.

I totally agree!!!!! Well spoken :)

All our five souvenirs are are present, correct and accounted for - as we have done some caches in the USA will we expect to get some move State based souvenirs?

Yes... eventually.

Apparently the US state souvenirs are being released in the order the individual states joined the Union. Anyone who's only been on holiday in Hawaii will just have to be patient...

MrsB :)