FINDER: PLEASE WRITE DOWN THE TAG NUMBER! :)

Talzhemir

I found a Travelbug. It didn't occur to me to log the Find. I figured I'd do it after I'd actually placed him.

A few days later, I travelled an hour northwards, and cached him again. I even gave him a Passport.

After I got home, I logged my visit to the new cache. It was only after I went to the website for the Travelbug, to log placing him, that I realized I didn't know his number! Doh! Without the number, you can't log the find.

I've just emailed the previous Finder asking if she knows the Travelbug's number. If that doesn't work, I'll have to email the Sponsor. I'm sure it'll be alright but it's more hassle than it should have been.

So anyways, friends, maybe you'll learn from my stuuuuupid mistake. Remember to log the Finding of the Travelbug. And then take down the tag number for when you log the Recaching.

Wishing you many excellent journeys,

Talzhemir

quote:
Originally posted by Talzhemir:

I found a Travelbug. It didn't occur to me to log the Find. I figured I'd do it after I'd actually placed him.

In addition to having the number handy, logging your retrieval of a travel bug as soon as possible after removing it from a cache is important for two reasons:

1) Keeping the bug's owner informed of the status of the bug, and

2) Removing the "Travel bug here!" icon from the cache's description page. Imagine how disappointing it is for people who are seeking a cache, specifically in hopes of grabbing the bug...only to discover that someone else already grabbed it, but didn't log their find. icon_frown.gif

(By the way, once you've logged your retrieval of the bug, you won't need to keep its number handy for logging its placement into a new cache. When you go to the new cache page to log your find, one of the choices before you submit your log is to "place a travel bug currently in your possession." If you click on that option, a dropdown list of any bugs currently listed as being in your possession will open, and you simply select the bug in question, and it automatically records your placement into the new cache. icon_smile.gif)

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Talzhemir:

In addition to having the number handy, logging your retrieval of a travel bug as soon as possible after removing it from a cache is important for two reasons:

1) Keeping the bug's owner informed of the status of the bug, and

2) Removing the "Travel bug here!" icon from the cache's description page. Imagine how disappointing it is for people who are seeking a cache, specifically in hopes of grabbing the bug...only to discover that someone else already grabbed it, but didn't log their find. icon_frown.gif

(By the way, once you've logged your retrieval of the bug, you won't need to keep its number handy for logging its placement into a new cache. When you go to the new cache page to log your find, one of the choices before you submit your log is to "place a travel bug currently in your possession." If you click on that option, a dropdown list of any bugs currently listed as being in your possession will open, and you simply select the bug in question, and it automatically records your placement into the new cache. icon_smile.gif)

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

I'll second the "write the number" suggestion. On all three of the bugs I've moved, I've forgotten to do that. Twice I've had to email the owner, and the third time, I actually pulled the number from memory in order to log it.

Z...surprisingly, so far in my experience, the TB icon has been correct in all cases except one. All three bugs I've picked up have been in caches denoted by the TB icon, and there was only one other cache I've been to that had the icon, but no TB. So at least in my case, folks have been diligent about logging them in a timely manner. icon_smile.gif

Jamie

I'll second the "write the number" suggestion. On all three of the bugs I've moved, I've forgotten to do that. Twice I've had to email the owner, and the third time, I actually pulled the number from memory in order to log it.

Z...surprisingly, so far in my experience, the TB icon has been correct in all cases except one. All three bugs I've picked up have been in caches denoted by the TB icon, and there was only one other cache I've been to that had the icon, but no TB. So at least in my case, folks have been diligent about logging them in a timely manner. icon_smile.gif

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

On all three of the bugs I've moved, I've forgotten to [write down the serial number]. Twice I've had to email the owner, and the third time, I actually pulled the number from memory in order to log it.

I'm curious, if you're logging your finds in a timely manner, why you had to e-mail the owner to get the number?

Did you place them in another cache on the same day that you found them, prior to coming home to log your finds for the day? (Other than that, I can't think of any reason a person would possibly need to write down the number.)

Oh... I guess I should 'splain that.

Ok... check out the bugs I've moved:

What I've been doing is picking up the bug, taking the bug places for photo ops (photos haven't yet been posted for two bugs. I still shoot film, and it takes time to get the pics developed and scanned) and visiting other caches. I don't necessarily drop off the bug in the very next cache I visit, but I like to log those caches for the sake of keeping the bugs mileage accurate. (check out Lucy's map)

Then, when I find a good cache, I'll leave the bug.

What has happened a couple of times is that I do somewhat of a cache marathon. I'll visit three or four caches in a day, and leave the bug at one of them.

When I get home, I log these finds, and I'll log that I've left the bug (and then immediately retrieve). The problem arises when I log a find, and then attempt to retrieve it immediately from the same cache so that I can place it in the other caches the bug has visited. If I've dropped the bug off at a cache that day, I can't always remember the number on the tag.

This thread assures me that this sort activity is alright.

Jamie