City Navigator: DVD vs SD card

GrateBear

There was a post recently (that I can't find) that debated the question of whether to buy City Navigator on DVD or on an SD card. In the past, I've bought the DVD and let the download take forever to put in on an SD card. I just bought a Dakota 20 and I'm leaning toward the SD card. I have several SD cards (micro) so can easily download other maps on those. So, why not buy the SD card? Any downside?

There was a post recently (that I can't find) that debated the question of whether to buy City Navigator on DVD or on an SD card. In the past, I've bought the DVD and let the download take forever to put in on an SD card. I just bought a Dakota 20 and I'm leaning toward the SD card. I have several SD cards (micro) so can easily download other maps on those. So, why not buy the SD card? Any downside?

The big advantage of the microSD card is you can move it among units. The big advantage with the DVD version you can have Topos and imagery in addition to your CityNav on the same card and you can (for another $60) get map updates for life.

The downloads shouldn't take that long. Use a card reader for transfer instead of the unit itself....much faster!

It depends on what's important to you. I have the DVD version but my buddy who has several units prefers the microSD version.

The biggest reason I prefer the DVD is if I am moving maps/data around and something with the microSD card gets screwed up it is no big deal. If you accidentally erase or otherwise corrupt the microSD card that has preloaded maps on it and you are SOL. With the DVD if something goes haywire worst case I go to microcenter and buy a new blank microSD card and reload the data on. Then I'm out a whopping 8 bucks. The only thing I am curious about is how it handles the map updates that I just started subscribing to. It looks like they have a download again feature within the my maps management section, so I don't think it would be a huge issue.

That might have been my thread. I ended up buying the SD card. For my situation I think that was the right move.

- I never put caches on my SD card

- I never need any other maps. Due to my disability, I don't need to worry about topo maps for backcountry stuff.

- I never take the card out of my gizmo

- I never even think of writing anything else to the card for any reason

- I am considering a future upgrade to my device and having unlocked maps is a plus for me.

- We use the POI's that come with the CN maps.

- I don't want to have to chase down and install whatever maps and poi files i may need using the free sites.

There's my reasons. Your mileage may vary.

Edit to add:

Forgot 1. With the SD card I always have all the maps I need. I can just turn on and off the parts I do or don't need on the fly without having to worry about downloading maps before we go somewhere or living without them if I forgot.

Edited by Semper Questio

The big advantage of the microSD card is you can move it among units. The big advantage with the DVD version you can have Topos and imagery in addition to your CityNav on the same card and you can (for another $60) get map updates for life.

The downloads shouldn't take that long. Use a card reader for transfer instead of the unit itself....much faster!

It depends on what's important to you. I have the DVD version but my buddy who has several units prefers the microSD version.

Thanks for the info about the updates for life using the DVD. For me, that's the way I'll go. I've used a Legend for 4 years, and only got the Dakota so I could have the paperless feature.

Thanks for the info about the updates for life using the DVD. For me, that's the way I'll go. I've used a Legend for 4 years, and only got the Dakota so I could have the paperless feature.

Just remember...those "updates for life using the DVD" will be locked to a single GPS.

See my post here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry3830063

DVD vs SD card FAQ

CD/DVD

+ You can install software in as many pc you like

+ Easy to take a copy of the software. (Copy of the key is stored at Garmin)

+ You can plan a trip ahead, study the map on PC with a big screen.

+ You can mix other maps and send to GPS

+ Maps can be stored on GPS or SD card (most GPS do support 8GB)

- Can be used in one GSP only if the map are locked with a key, like City Navigator (you need to buy a new copy for next GPS)

SD Card (with preinstalled maps)

+ Can be used in many GPS (but only one at a time)

- Not possible to take backup of the map

- If you loose the card or brake it, you need to order a new

- You can not plan trip on PC

- Cannot be combined with other maps on the SD Card

(You can move the img file to GPS internal memory, but maps will not work if SD card is removed)

Conclusion

Do not order SD card with maps, get DVD, since the flexibility is so much greater.

Some maps that come on SD cards come with the option to also download the installer to your PC. For example, the Backroad topo maps in Canada. The download is free - since you already bought the SD card - but it doesn't include an unlock code. This lets you view the maps on the PC, combine them with other maps (should you wish), and send them to the SD card you purchased.

If that option is available, it gives you the best of both worlds.