Harvesting Bugs

Guest travisl

Guest travisl

I'm heading to the east coast for a week this May, and wanted to see what y'all think of this idea. I live and work in the Seattle area, so all of my caches so far have been in Washington state.

The week before I leave, I'm thinking about snagging every goal-less travel bug I can from the local area (and those with goals relating to the east coast, too). This would include snagging bugs from caches that I've already logged, I assume.

The week I'm back east, I drop them off in the caches I find in and around Baltimore. I harvest as many goal-less bugs (and west coast aiming bugs) as I can from the greater Baltimore area.

When I return, I scatter the former east-coast bugs throughout the western Washington caches (which, again I assume, would include some caches I've already logged).

1) What do you think of essentially "stripping" my area of bugs for a week (except for bugs who wouldn't benefit from a trip eastward)?

2) What do you think of me taking and placing bugs in caches that I've already found?

Guest Hawk-eye

I don't know if I'd go in for full scale harvesting of bugs in your area ... there are cachers that go for bugs ... but if you snagged a few to take on your trip ... that would be pretty good. JMHO

348_1002.gif

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by waldenrun:

In my Eastern MA area, no one seems to want to move bugs along, so how about coming up this way to harvest?

... and all those jokes about southerns being slow icon_biggrin.gif

348_1002.gif

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by waldenrun:

In my Eastern MA area, no one seems to want to move bugs along, so how about coming up this way to harvest?

... and all those jokes about southerns being slow icon_biggrin.gif

348_1002.gif

Guest worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by travisl:

...What do you think of me taking and placing bugs in caches that I've already found?

Nothing wrong with it, in my opinion. Just remember to log your REvisit to the cache as an "other" rather than "found" or "not found" (assuming the cache itself has not been relocated since your original find.)

------------------

Worldtraveler

Guest Doppler

I'm not so sure I like the idea of stripping an area clean of bugs... one or two, sure, especially if they've been gathering dust for a few months.

But deliberately rounding them up en masse seems contrary to the point of the travel bugs, to me.

Shouldn't they be allowed to migrate at their own rate, through the natural interactions with geocachers?

Just my two pesos...

------------------

-- John Doppler

Guest glenn95630

It is okay to revist a cache to drop off or pick up a TB.

A quick look at the two area tells me that there are a lot more TBs in the Seattle area vs the Baltimore area.

I recommend that you take 5 TBs from Seattle area (to Baltimore) and bring back 3 TBs from Baltimore.

Glenn95630

Guest makaio

You should have come to Portland for our recent get-together (aka Bug Convention). We had a dozen or so TB's on hand itching for people to take them to distant locales. Many were turned down by folks who knew they couldn't move them anywhere but other local caches.

Maybe you can host something similar before your trip and have folks bring in TB's they'd like you to take with.

[This message has been edited by makaio (edited 01 March 2002).]