Why do you geocache?

Coldgears

I've always wondered why people geocache, for me I personally like the places they take me, and the sense of accomplishment I get when I find that one really creative/devilishly hard geocache.

I'm going to assume that these would be the reasons why people would geocache...

1. To take you to places you have never been to.

2. Competition of trying to get a high find count then others.

3. Enjoyment of hiding caches

4. Time to spend with others, social activity, this is why there are so many "events".

5. Time by yourself to get away from other people.

6. The sense of accomplishment after finishing a hard challenge.

7. Solving the puzzle caches.

8. A way to get out of the house and exercise.

9. The thrill of being "sneaky" right under the noses of muggles, who have no idea what you are doing.

Which of these apply to you? :P:ph34r::D

Edited by Coldgears

Sometimes, it's an excuse for a trip, whether that trip is a detour of a few miles on my bike ride to/from work, a hike of several miles through the woods, or a drive to somewhere off the beaten path.

Sometimes, it's about interesting places, whether those places are historic, scenic, or artistic. (I especially enjoy caches that draw attention to public art.)

Sometimes, it's about the challenge, whether the challenge is solving a puzzle, finding a well-camouflaged cache, or retrieving a cleverly placed container. (I especially enjoy on-site puzzles and caches with 4-star camouflage.)

And sometimes it's about companionship, although I don't make it to events, unevents, and group hikes very often...

The ones that apply to me are

3. Enjoyment of hiding caches (but not for the reason you gave in parenthesis).

4. Time to spend with others, social activity.

I like to geocache to mark my travels. Caches tend to serve as reminders as to where I was on any given day.

That, and it combines very well with my love of hiking and backpacking. The majority of trips that I'd be taking whether I geocached or not are now to destinations that have a geocache or two in the area.

4. Time to spend with others, social activity, this is why there are so many "events".

9. The thrill of being "sneaky" right under the noses of muggles, who have no idea what you are doing.

#8 is my #1 reason. As a teen I would spend most my free time in the woods around my house, or the woods around the greenway nearby. I lost that in college, and afterwards. This is the perfect hobby to get me back in the woods exploring nature, finding all those little secret areas, etc.

I removed the parenthesis. But why else would you want to hide them?

I don't hide them so I can read about how everybody is impressed by my creativity (which was the gist of your now deleted parenthetical statement). In fact I don't hide particularly creative caches. I hide them for the enjoyment of others and often because I found a special spot I'd like to share with others.

Edited by briansnat

My reasons are similar as many listed. But, every since I was a young boy, I was interested in navigation and the journey getting to a destination. I could read maps better than my dad could when I was 8 years old. My kids still think its weird that I can get excited by just looking at a map. Anyway, geocaching is a natural and good fit for me.

1. To take you to places you have never been to. - It takes us to places we wouldn't think to visit.

2. Competition of trying to get a high find count then others. - I do like the competition with myself, not with others.

3. Enjoyment of hiding caches - TBD

4. Time to spend with others, social activity, this is why there are so many "events". - Enjoy the social but it is such a small part of the game.

5. Time by yourself to get away from other people. - Doesn't enter into my thinking.

6. The sense of accomplishment after finishing a hard challenge. - Definitely.

7. Solving the puzzle caches. - Enjoyable...usually.

8. A way to get out of the house and exercise. - Exercise with a purpose.

9. The thrill of being "sneaky" right under the noses of muggles, who have no idea what you are doing. - Most hated aspect. I much prefer low-muggle locations.

10. The challenge of finding each cache

11. Gives me something to do while waiting for the wife

12. Enjoying the creativity of cacher's camouflage and logs

Flask once used a big word that I had to look up the meaning to. That word had something to do with a basic human urge to seek and find things that were hidden. I think.

I like maps. I like knowing where I am in reference to points on a map. I like either leaving Point A or arriving at Point B. I like goal oriented travel.

All these things.

My quick answer is that I like both technology and the outdoors. I got into Geocaching because it combines the two.

Now that I've been doing it for a while, I have to say that I love that "Ah-ha" moment when I find an exceptionally good hide. I also really enjoy planning and hiding my own caches and appreciate getting positive feedback from them.

My quick answer is that I like both technology and the outdoors. I got into Geocaching because it combines the two.

Now that I've been doing it for a while, I have to say that I love that "Ah-ha" moment when I find an exceptionally good hide. I also really enjoy planning and hiding my own caches and appreciate getting positive feedback from them.

Most of your caches are about 8 - 12 miles from me. I wouldn't mind finding one of yours. Which one would you recommend out of all the ones you hid?

I Started geocaching mainly because I needed to get exercise, but got bored going for walks. During the past few months, I have found that I like it because of the above reasons. The only other thing that I can think of is that it is a great family activity.

This is probably the best one for me.. amazing that geocaching has me going to places so close to where I live but have never been to before (lol.. 'cause, before geocaching, there was absolutely no reason to go down that scary, unpaved, abandoned, god forsaken, gates of hell, back in the middle of nowhere, L.O.S.T. road).

Actually, I also feel pretty good even when I find the easy caches.

My wife and I are really into walking and hiking, so geocaching fits very nicely with our current lifestyle.

Yeah... this part is kind of neat too.

Primarily, its a diversion from the demands of the day...an escape from the mental strains of work (although its rapidly being challenged in that department by shooting sports). Nice to get some time to, as Buffett says "come down and talk to me" while on solitary hunts...also nice to do some social caching with friends.

I've always wondered why people geocache, for me I personally like the places they take me, and the sense of accomplishment I get when I find that one really creative/devilishly hard geocache.

I'm going to assume that these would be the reasons why people would geocache...

because they're there...

...and 1...........and 8.

Edited by j robin

Someone told me that there were hot guys here... :D

Bad place to look. I've met both hot, male geocachers and I admit that they made me wish I was a female so I could... Anyway, the rest of us are fat, old nerdy guys or pimply faced teenagers.

Speak for yourself :ph34r::P;). Im just, hmmmm, me. Not old, definately not nerdy or fat. Im just me. :D

To answer the OP, 1. yes, 2. no, 3. - 9. all yes

Have a nice day, its snowing like mad here.

Someone told me that there were hot guys here... :P

Bad place to look. I've met both hot, male geocachers and I admit that they made me wish I was a female so I could... Anyway, the rest of us are fat, old nerdy guys or pimply faced teenagers.

There are also a few hot dogs...and a doorknob.

Here's my list, in the order in which they apply.

Easy pick for number 1. It not only includes discovering places I didn't know about locally, but bringing me to places might not be aware of when I'm traveling that one might not find in a tour book. I've vacationed in the Outer Banks many times but discovered quite a few new places there that I didn't know about before geocaching. A geocache also gave me a good excuse to check out a place that I *did* know about but didn't realize how cool it was until I went to search for the geocache.

I've always enjoyed "problem solving" so geocaching fits well.

Not so much for the exercise, but I have always loved exploring the outdoors. Although this is one of the reasons I want to geocache, it's not as effective at accomplishing that goal as I would like.

Yes. I need to get away from it all now and then. The no-commerical caches guideline *mostly* means I can get away from the constant commercial bombardment that's part of everyday life.

Yes. Especially as it relates to #1 but from a hiders perspective. My favorite logs often include "I never knew about this trail before..."

Yes. I love the challenge.

I liked the social interaction but in a small geocaching community we don't have many events.

Not really.

Nope. I only compete with myself.

I like being outdoors. Geocaching adds to that experience. I've discovered so many new parks and neat places since I started caching. Priceless!

Also, when I hunt a cache in the wilderness somewhere, it gives me a goal. Then when I find the cache it feels like the CO is there personally greeting me and showing me around!

When I get a DNF I feel like the CO doesn't like me! lol

So, mostly it's something else to do outside. Finding something does satisfy some need too like another poster mentioned.

I removed the parenthesis. But why else would you want to hide them?

I don't hide them so I can read about how everybody is impressed by my creativity (which was the gist of your now deleted parenthetical statement). In fact I don't hide particularly creative caches. I hide them for the enjoyment of others and often because I found a special spot I'd like to share with others.

Yes! My first 4 or so hides I tried to make them tricky and clever and I wanted cachers to have to hunt very hard. Was actually looking forward to DNFs.

Turns out I'm not that clever because they were all easily found. And I found I did enjoy reading that others had fun finding them.

After that I started to realize that I really love the hiking caches or caches in parks so that's what I started to hide. Now I just pluck down as ammo can or large jar, only barely hidden (mugglers) and put it in a place of beauty or interest (like in bamboo).

I know how I feel when I get a DNF and I don't want someone not having fun at my caches. There are harder ones out there for those who enjoy those. I want to show finders places in nature that are amazing, like I was shown with certain caches around here.

I cache for the bacon.

I've never gotten bacon while caching :laughing: You must know some secrets that I don't. :D

ah ya! Most people don't.

Okay, it helps to live in Iowa.

Best thing after caching is you can say, mmmm bacon.

Oh man, I forgot about the bacon.

mmmmm... bacon. :laughing::laughing:

Someone told me that there were hot guys here... :laughing:

Bad place to look. I've met both hot, male geocachers

Yeah, that's right, you have met me. :ph34r:
and I admit that they made me wish I was a female so I could...
Um, next time I see you I am going to run the other way. :P
Anyway, the rest of us are fat, old nerdy guys or pimply faced teenagers.
Yeah, I guess I've met you too. :D

;)

For Me, the main reason is that it is fun. I like a little hide and seek adventure.

I have thus far limited my caching experiences to my town, or stops while traveling somewhere else. Money is tight, so I can't really afford to travel someplace at a distance for the soul purpose of finding a cache.

I am one that tends to be home indoors with my son. So this gave met the opportunity to get OUTSIDE. My toddler enjoys finding caches, especially if they have some little toys inside. I have found a lot of hidden parks in my town, that were it not for geocaching, I would have never known they existed.

As a side part, I am a bit addicted not so much to numbers, but to loading my map and seeing only smileys in my area. I've got quite a ways to go. And, since I'm not into freezing my rear off, probably won't get many more until spring. Unless it's an LPC :P

I cache with my 2 sons. That, for me is the number one reason for...well just about everything I do, but caching in particular. Time spent with them, teaching them about respecting nature, navigation and just the enjoyment of outdoors. The joy on my older son's face when he found his first cache will never leave me...T.

For all of the knives, lighters, booze, and food in the caches. I also like to pick up all of those cool coins in there. We've got quite a collection. They've all got their own serial numbers and everything, they must be collector's items. :huh:

Yeah, not really any of those things.

We do it to have fun, to get out of the house, to explore new local areas, to find places not featured in the guidebooks when we're on vacation, to find secret spots at places featured in the guidebook on vacation, to stretch our legs during road trips...

We started caching when on holiday and it took us to some beautiful places we would not have found otherwise. On returning home we searched for caches on our weekend walks and eventually placed a couple ourselves. We enjoy the logs telling us someone enjoyed the area and the walk to our cache and take pride in visiting them regularly to maintain them. I have to say we have been amazed by the seriousness of some cachers on their quest to log up numbers, I appreciate this is your aim but please be aware that some of us just enjoy the occasional cache found or placed and are a little more 'chilled' about the whole geocaching interest. There is nothing better than someone appreciating the area or walk you have introduced them to and the time and trouble you spent filling your cache with goodies. :)

Listing them in order of importance to me.

As for number 2, not at all, the way you state it. I really enjoy watching my numbers go up and I do keep track of my milestones. However, I do not compare my numbers with anyone elses as a competition.

I do enjoy seeing others meet their milestones, and am glad when they are happy with their numbers, but their numbers are their's and have nothing to do with me at all.