Please critique my new bug

WaldenRun

It makes sense, but I agree with Rocket Man, it will be gone quickly. Anything that makes the travel bug any harder is bound to have a problem.

"We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the Borg."

"Try to pick a place where people will not find him while searching for the cache."...that sounds like it could be hidden some distance from the cache (up to 500 ft.?). If certain kinds of clues were given, perhaps using compass headings, bearings, paces and what not, without any gps co-ordinates, the casual cacher who screws up the regular travel bug process would not bother with clues that require a little more thinking? Finding a "clue" for this bug would be an interesting challenge. Hopefully, Blue will be around for awhile!!

In regards to the 'disappearing', I agree that the standard bug routine already confuses enough people. But, this bug should avoid the casual pick-up where the newbie cacher thinks it's their treasure for the taking. You really shouldn't get Blue into your possesion unless you read his page.

And, if you have read the page closely enough to use the clue, you should now know enough about the re-hide. I know, wishful thinking on my part...

-WR

"Why worry when you can obsess?"

It's probably been done before but this would have been one of the early instances of what you're trying to do. Look at the original Kermit TB at http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=24 and see the entry on Sept. 29, 2001 (not 2002).

Now, while I enjoyed hunting for him in that fashion, I have to agree that this probably isn't a wise way of playing the TB game. If you really want to do so, people will follow your rules more often if there's a laminated note attached.

That sounds like a fun TB to me. Like Team Dragon said, you'll want to attach a laminated note (or something else to explain Blue's rules, etc.) My only other concern/comment would be to give some more options for listing the clue(s). It's too easy to take a TB to a hiding spot, run home to log the hide, and realize you don't have the TB number to log the note. It's easy to log the details on the cache page and the hide, but without the #, you can't leave any details on the TB page about the hide. Maybe they could email you the clue if they forget the #, or post it on the cache page where Blue was hidden?

I appreciate the feedback and used it to make a few changes. Blue has his own mini-container with instuctions laminated to the inside of the lid. The container also holds finder's buttons (!) for the first five cachers who track him down. I expect to place him at his first cache tomorrow. You can check him out if you would like.

-WR

"Why worry when you can obsess?"

It sounds like fun. I like that it's small enough to make it easy to hide. It's weather proof so it should be fine outside of a protective box. If it makes it up to southwestern Ontario I'd go out to search for it.

---------------

I can't lie around and be lazy. I am a Thing-Finder, and when you're a Thing-Finder you don't have a minute to spare...The whole world is full of things, and somebody has to look for them.

-Pippi Longstocking