There go all those Wally World Caches

FunnyNose

What is frightening is a government agency is now partnering with a private company to encourage citizens, if not to spy on each other, at least report undefined "suspicious" behavior to authorities. The DHS has not limited it's actions to collaborating with Walmart as shown in this article: Copyright Security? Here is a document from the DHS describing it's history: DHS History

I will sleep better knowing that The Homeland is secure now that the ever observant Walmart customers will report suspected terrorist behavior to the highly trained Walmart managers.

I wonder how many people have actually seen a hand held GPS and know what it is. This turn of events is a sad sign for the US, at least in my opinion.

Exactly what do you think the greeters and receipt checkers are doing? They are part of the security function. This company has surveillance cameras everywhere, look along the roof line, next time you go in. Nothing new under the sun.

Surveillance cameras are everywhere, not just WalMart.

...Cracker Barrell banned caches on their property....

Apparently all of the owners of "Off Your Rocker" caches didn't get that memo. There are still a plethora of Cracker Barrel caches around the South.

We tried for one once and will never do so again, way too many eyes on us to feel comfortable rooting around the old machinery.

Edited by hzoi

Apparently all of the owners of "Off Your Rocker" caches didn't get that memo. There are still a plethora of Cracker Barrel caches around the South.

We tried for one once and will never do so again, way too many eyes on us to feel comfortable rooting around the old machinery.

From what I remember, the memo from Cracker Barrell disallowed any new caches. I don't think they told anybody to remove existing caches. I could be wrong.

Exactly what do you think the greeters and receipt checkers are doing? They are part of the security function. This company has surveillance cameras everywhere, look along the roof line, next time you go in. Nothing new under the sun.

:anibad::mad::D

The receipt checkers are making sure you're not stealing anything, although they only give it about a 9% effort. And the greeters? Part of the security effort? Have you been to a Walmart?

Whilest I'm not of the "big brother" mindset, I think this is totally ridiculous. I've said it a thousand times, and I'll say it again. Terrorists are not going to attack a small town Walmart. It's not gonna happen. We're far too paranoid after 9/11 and the two or three high profile "explosive" incidents since then. A hightened sense of "awareness" isn't going to stop anything, it's just going to make people more suspicious of other people. That's just what we need :D

My bad. They banned new placements. If you click on the bookmark list of Off Your Rocker caches that surely appears on almost all of their cache pages, the list owner documents that they are no longer allowed, and the date of the change in policy.

My biggest Walmart/Samsclub chuckle comes at the door when the checker actually counts the carts that have under 10 items in them, but does the matador wave at the large flatbeds with 50+ items.

Yes, they are pretty advanced with their cameras and scanners, but the human factor leaves something to be desired.

And I agree, the definition of suspicious is somewhat compromised when you consider that this is probably the only retailer in the world that has a website set up to make fun of the more unusually clad patrons.

I'm glad someone already posted a link, but it's worth a second look. Bring your own mental bleach. :anibad:

Edited by wimseyguy

I can hear all those LPC haters out there are having a party.

I have never been able to understand people's distain for LPC's. No one forces anyone to do them. In Michigan during the winter they are a welcome diversion. Sometimes they are buried under four feet of plowed snow. Try that you fair weather cachers.

I have never been able to understand people's distain for LPC's. No one forces anyone to do them. In Michigan during the winter they are a welcome diversion. Sometimes they are buried under four feet of plowed snow. Try that you fair weather cachers.

It's very, very simple. The people that have disdain don't do them. At least not me, I can't speak for all those radii clearers out there who lift every skirt in town, all while complaining about it. :huh:

There are many reasons to not like LPCs. I can still not like them without hunting them. I can still express my dislike without hunting them. I'm not feeling forced to hunt them at all- I just don't like them.

Crazy. :huh:

"This partnership will help millions of shoppers across the nation identify and report indicators of terrorism, crime and other threats to law enforcement authorities.”

"If you see something suspicious in the parking lot or in the store, say something immediately," Napolitano said

By month's end, 588 stores will participate in 'See Something, Say Something' campaign

The Walmart strategy is to flood the market with foreign goods to drain manufacturing jobs out of the country, while at the same time closing local businesses that cannot compete with people earning slave wages overseas. Now they are using Homeland Security to advertise and promote themselves, while the real threat is elsewhere. I wonder how much federal money was sent to the 588 stores to aid in the promotion?

Primitive wars are fought with weapons, while ecomonic ones use psychology. Over 80% of all of the items sold there are manufactured from the same country which happens to be allied with North Korea.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Ah, yes, Napolitano, our wonderful home land security Secretary, who proudly proclaimed that the capture of the jockey short bomber shows how wonderful our security system work. :D

Yes, she did a fantastic job of securing our border here in Az while governor... ;)

I loathe LPCs. And I don't do them either. I hate walking though a park on a multi can finding out one of the stages is a LPC. Grr. I hate walking away from a cache, but I will.

And I live in Az, so no snow. Winter is my fair weather caching ;) This is the time where we can finally hike!

I have never been able to understand people's distain for LPC's. No one forces anyone to do them.

Because they suck... a lot.

(according to my highly biased caching aesthetics)

They are the poster child of lame caches. They don't get any more pathetic.

They are caches for those who prefer quantity over quality.

(from Websters)

Lame: [leym] adjective

1. pathetically lacking in force or effectiveness

3. weak; inadequate; unsatisfactory;

Because geocachers hail from such diversity, it is really difficult to quantify "Lameness" as related to caches. There really isn't any one characteristic that can guarantee that a cache is lame, (other than hiding a film canister in a lamp post at Wally World, which is ALWAYS Lame), however a cache's Lameness Quotient can still be measured, given sufficient consideration, as follows:

The motto for Groundspeak is "The Language of Location". This, more than anything, should be your first clue in determining if your cache is a stinker. Ask yourself, "Why am I bringing people to this spot?" If the only answer you can come up with is yet another mindless smiley, perhaps it's time to rethink ground zero. A waterfall is good. 500 acres of sweltering, exhaust laden blacktop filled with soccer moms in SUV's is bad.

Container Selection

The purpose of a cache is to protect its contents. Whether those contents are a slip of paper covered with the initials of a bunch of geo-nerds, or the contents are high dollar, really kewl swag, is really immaterial. If the container won't protect what's inside, it is lame. Quality containers include ammo cans, Lock & Locks, decon kits, waterproof match containers and bison tubes. Inadequate containers include Gladware, black & gray film canisters, hide-a-keys, Altoid tins and duct tape covered baggies. These may work great indoors, but they simply will not repel moisture once subjected to the whims of Mother Nature.

Hide Style

If a hide style gets copied too often, it automatically becomes lame. Hide-a-keys on guard rails and film canisters under lamp posts require absolutely no imagination to hide or to find, and therefor earn pretty high LQ points. Any hide style that encourages vandalism or otherwise violate Groundspeak's guidelines, (graffiti coords/affixing electrical boxes to structures/buried caches/etc), are bad for the game, and should be avoided like the plague. Some of the best hides utilize subtle misdirection, getting folks to look everywhere but where their GPSr's tell them to look. I consider that a good thing, as it forces me to fire up the ol' grey matter. That is not the case with LPCs.

Results

If you see a high percentage of single sentence find logs on your cache page, that is a fairly reasonable indicator that your cache may be suffering from a lack of ingenuity. This trend becomes more pronounced if you see a lot of "TNLNSL" entries. At that point, your cache has reached a lameness critical mass, and should probably be put out of its misery.

Again, these intemperate thoughts are merely a reflection of my personal preferences.

If playing games in a parking lot is your cup of tea, by all means, have at it.

You won't be alone.

There are many reasons to not like LPCs. I can still not like them without hunting them. I can still express my dislike without hunting them. I'm not feeling forced to hunt them at all- I just don't like them.

Crazy. ;)

Sure, just as you may dislike butter pecan ice cream (or whatever flavors you dislike). :D

I have never been able to understand people's distain for LPC's. No one forces anyone to do them.

(from Websters)

Because geocachers hail from such diversity, it is really difficult to quantify "Lameness" as related to caches. There really isn't any one characteristic that can guarantee that a cache is lame, (other than hiding a film canister in a lamp post at Wally World, which is ALWAYS Lame), however a cache's Lameness Quotient can still be measured, given sufficient consideration, as follows:

The motto for Groundspeak is "The Language of Location". This, more than anything, should be your first clue in determining if your cache is a stinker. Ask yourself, "Why am I bringing people to this spot?" If the only answer you can come up with is yet another mindless smiley, perhaps it's time to rethink ground zero. A waterfall is good. 500 acres of sweltering, exhaust laden blacktop filled with soccer moms in SUV's is bad.

Container Selection

The purpose of a cache is to protect its contents. Whether those contents are a slip of paper covered with the initials of a bunch of geo-nerds, or the contents are high dollar, really kewl swag, is really immaterial. If the container won't protect what's inside, it is lame. Quality containers include ammo cans, Lock & Locks, decon kits, waterproof match containers and bison tubes. Inadequate containers include Gladware, black & gray film canisters, hide-a-keys, Altoid tins and duct tape covered baggies. These may work great indoors, but they simply will not repel moisture once subjected to the whims of Mother Nature.

Hide Style

If a hide style gets copied too often, it automatically becomes lame. Hide-a-keys on guard rails and film canisters under lamp posts require absolutely no imagination to hide or to find, and therefor earn pretty high LQ points. Any hide style that encourages vandalism or otherwise violate Groundspeak's guidelines, (graffiti coords/affixing electrical boxes to structures/buried caches/etc), are bad for the game, and should be avoided like the plague. Some of the best hides utilize subtle misdirection, getting folks to look everywhere but where their GPSr's tell them to look. I consider that a good thing, as it forces me to fire up the ol' grey matter. That is not the case with LPCs.

Results

If you see a high percentage of single sentence find logs on your cache page, that is a fairly reasonable indicator that your cache may be suffering from a lack of ingenuity. This trend becomes more pronounced if you see a lot of "TNLNSL" entries. At that point, your cache has reached a lameness critical mass, and should probably be put out of its misery.

Again, these intemperate thoughts are merely a reflection of my personal preferences.

You won't be alone.

Who do you think you are post a long post explaining exactly the reasons why LPCs are lame cache?

LPCs in parking lots are often chosen as a location for hiding caches because these are plentiful and easy to get to. Many are even places where you could conceivably get adequate permission from a store owner or manager. Though I will admit that most are probably placed with the weak excuse that since the public is allowed in the parking lot you can hide a cache there. While some people like going on a hike and seeing a nice waterfall or being taken to an historic location, there are many other people who prefer to shop. A mall or a big box location is just as important to them as the waterfall is to someone who likes nature or the old cemetery is to someone interested in history.

Container Selection

The LPC skirt provides added protection. A cheaper less waterproof container may be satisfactory for this type of hide.

Hide Style

The optimum hide style would be one where muggles are unlikely to find the geocache and where geocachers will be able to find it with a reasonable effort. For difficulty one caches, the cache location should be pretty obvious to the cacher and still not be a place where a muggle might accidentally come across the cache. The LPC hiding style is widely copied because it may be as close to optimum as you can get.

Results

People enjoy quick and easy finds. The may not have much to write though about finding a cache. Certainly a high terrain or high difficulty cache is likely to have longer logs. But that doesn't mean they aren't enjoyed just as much. In addition, people who do urban cache are often putting together runs to find many caches. They may not spend the time logging each cache with a long story of their experience with the cache. I have see some blogs from these cachers that describe their whole day and they seem to have as much fun as I have when I go on a 10 mile hike. They may even post pictures of the unusual sign or public art that was exhibited near the LPC.

(from Websters)

Container Selection

Hide Style

Results

You won't be alone.

We have been to over thirty Meet 'n' Greets and met many different cachers. Some hate LPCs and some love them. I personally do not care for them. Not only are they not challenging but they are subject to bee infestation and I am allergic to their sting. One of the more prominent cachers in this area told me over 90% on his finds were one and one's. I told him we had over 500 multi and puzzle finds. He answered he won't do multis. Now, that does not make me better than him, it just means we have different preferences. Some cachers are not physically able to do caches involving long hikes over rough terrain. LPCs are a way for them to participate in geocaching which they otherwise could not. So, I say cache and let cache.

Who do you think you are post a long post explaining exactly the reasons why LPCs are lame cache?

Is that a rhetorical question? :D

I think I'm Sean Brewer, whose caching nickname is Clan Riffster

I think my other identity is The ole fat crippled guy with a smelly hat. ;)

I think I posted that as an answer to a question. ;)

Some cachers are not physically able to do caches involving long hikes over rough terrain.

LPCs are a way for them to participate in geocaching which they otherwise could not.

As noted above, I am one of those cachers who is physically unable to do long hikes.

Creating an LPC so us cripples have something to do is pretty condescending.

Just because my knees don't work anymore, doesn't mean my brain has quit working.

I appreciate creativity as much as the next guy.

LPCs are utterly devoid of creativity.

I've done plenty of easy caches that those that don't/can't do harder caches can do and aren't LPC caches. Lame or not isn't even the real issue. People keep saying that if you don't like them, don't do them on one side and that they are in the way of better caches on the other(rarely true). Neither of those is really the issue. It's that they, along with power trails and other urban micro hides, are/have been exploding in the last couple of years, and are going be the biggest contributor of problems that will result in regulations/restrictions that will hinder geocachings future. Other people won't agree with this, obviously, but that is what I think. More and more and more geocaches is not necessarily a good thing.

I've done plenty of easy caches that those that don't/can't do harder caches can do and aren't LPC caches. Lame or not isn't even the real issue. People keep saying that if you don't like them, don't do them on one side and that they are in the way of better caches on the other(rarely true). Neither of those is really the issue. It's that they, along with power trails and other urban micro hides, are/have been exploding in the last couple of years, and are going be the biggest contributor of problems that will result in regulations/restrictions that will hinder geocachings future. Other people won't agree with this, obviously, but that is what I think. More and more and more geocaches is not necessarily a good thing.

Whatever. I don't believe that the amount of LPCs and other urban micros have dramatically increased since before you started playing the game. Therefore, I have to believe that your argument really just boils down to this: You don't like them so you think they should not exist.

If you don't like urban micros, don't search for micros in urban environments.