How to get cache hints onto Garmin 60CSx?

TAELR

We are new to geocaching and are trying to get some info loaded into our Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. We have a premium membership but when I look at the cache info on the GPS unit, there are no text descriptions for the cache. Isn't this one of the perks of the premium membership?? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

You're not sayihng how you are getting the data. To get hints, descriptions, etc. you must download the GPX data, not the LOC data. You can get those 1 at a time from the cache page (either to a file or sent directly to your GPS) or you can use Pocket Queries to get them in big bunches. Learn more about those HERE.

Either way, you will then need a tool to get them to your GPS. I use GSAK. There is also EasyGPS, and other tools.

The description and hint will not fit on the cache entries on your GPS. You will need to either print those out or use anotehr device for those. I use an old Palm TX with Cachemate. There are other ways also.

That should help get you started. Do a little reading and come on back when you have more questions. There are lots of folks here that will help you!

There is a macro, no longer supported by the developer, that would put a portion of the cache information into a Map 60 CSX as point of interests, several entries required for many caches. You can get some of the info onto your gps this way, but the surest way to get all the info on a cache page is to also carry a Palm or similar device.

The macro is next to useless on multi-caches as it does not recognize the clues for waypoints and thus leaves you blind. If I see requests in this thread, I can go try to find the links.

Edit to add: Found the link for the macro on a post by Motorcyclemama, I remind you that you will be loading multiple waypoints for most caches, and they will go into your unit as points of interest, not caches. If all you want is the hint, see jssearchers post above this one.

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=8932

Edited by Trucker Lee

We are new to geocaching and are trying to get some info loaded into our Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. We have a premium membership but when I look at the cache info on the GPS unit, there are no text descriptions for the cache. Isn't this one of the perks of the premium membership?? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The easiest and cheapest way is to download EasyGPS and set it up to send the name of the cache and the hint to your gps. I set up bookmarks and save the caches I want in each bookmark, then download them as a PQ

As a 60CSX user for years, I would suggest that trying to load too much data on the GPSr, just isn't worth the trouble. A nice cheap PDA running Cachemate or some other program will give you a copy of the cache data, hint and recent logs when you inport your PQ data.

Having played with the macro for the past couple of months, I am inclined to go along with you. Even with the macro the information is incomplete, multi-cache and mystery/puzzle are still completely unsolvable. I began that quest in the hope of leaving something behind but miss not having a nearly complete description available at times. And it really isn't that difficult to load Cachemate, after all the filter is already set up in GSAK and you just need punch a couple more entries.