Android Photos to Cache with

I currently have and iPhone 4 and am just wondering what the android phones are like for caching.

Do they have most or all of the same apps? How well do they work etc?

Are there any particular phones that stand out as good for caching, maybe perhaps they have good battery life and a very accurate GPS etc.?

Many thanks

Regards

CC

I currently have and iPhone 4 and am just wondering what the android phones are like for caching.

Do they have most or all of the same apps? How well do they work etc?

Are there any particular phones that stand out as good for caching, maybe perhaps they have good battery life and a very accurate GPS etc.?

Many thanks

Regards

CC

Hi im relatively new to geocaching and I have found my htc desire android phone is great for geocashing i have about 4 free apps but i only use c geo which also free it does every thing i need and more. it downloads all the caches near me and i can store them, i can search for caches by name, GC Code etc also navigate to caches by Turn by Turn, Radar, show on map etc. My Battery lasts for about 6 to 8 hours and i also have a spare battery that cost about £5.00 on ebay. i believe its accurate to about 2 feet ? l cant compare it to an iphone as l have never owned one. hope this helps

Colin

Edited by colin4unow

Hi im relatively new to geocaching and I have found my htc desire android phone is great for geocashing i have about 4 free apps but i only use c geo which also free it does every thing i need and more. it downloads all the caches near me and i can store them, i can search for caches by name, GC Code etc also navigate to caches by Turn by Turn, Radar, show on map etc. My Battery lasts for about 6 to 8 hours and i also have a spare battery that cost about £5.00 on ebay. i believe its accurate to about 2 feet ? l cant compare it to an iphone as l have never owned one. hope this helps

Colin

6-8 hours of caching? how do you manage that?? I have the same phone and its battery life is fine for general use, but the second I start caching with it it drains very quickly indeed - I put it down to having the screen constantly on and the GPS on.

Hence I very rarely use it for geocaching, only if I’m somewhere unexpected or don’t have my GPSr on me.

When I have used it though, yes, it works just fine in terms of ease of use and accuracy. From what I understand the GPS on there is better than the one on the old iphones (3, 3GS), and on a par with the new ones (4)

Colin

6-8 hours of caching? how do you manage that?? I have the same phone and its battery life is fine for general use, but the second I start caching with it it drains very quickly indeed - I put it down to having the screen constantly on and the GPS on.

Hence I very rarely use it for geocaching, only if I’m somewhere unexpected or don’t have my GPSr on me.

When I have used it though, yes, it works just fine in terms of ease of use and accuracy. From what I understand the GPS on there is better than the one on the old iphones (3, 3GS), and on a par with the new ones (4)

I've also got the same phone. With the GPS turned on and using one of the geocaching apps I can almost see the battery drain before my very eyes. I'd be really interested to know how you get 6 - 8 hours life out of it. It's a very good phone, but I wouldn't use it for caching or navigating unless I didn't have my Oregon.

Colin

Hi I get approx 6 to 8 hours because my screen is turned off most of the time. My caches to find are stored before leaving home. i only turn the screen on to check for distance and direction then turn it off again. Also if travling by car from one cache to another my phone is charging with the car 12v charger. i do try every thing i can to preserve my battery ... Colin

I also have a desire, and have found for caching that is just as accurate as my caching buddy's garmin e-trex.

Main difference being I can check online logs and have the niceties of a GUI.

He never runs out of batteries half way through the night.

The only time I have done a whole day caching I took a little laptop to charge off at lunchtime!

I hace an HTC desire as well. I also use the C:Geo app, or I did today to find my first cache!

Had a great fun day, I did the same as someone else said, donwloaded a few different caches on the home wifi before going out, then went out on a bike, headed to the general area and started to use the compass. I set the screen to 10% brightness, turn off bluetooth, wifi and just leave the gps active. Very accurate, it was reporting +/- 2Ft today, not bad at all!

I was out for about 5 hours today with it on and it still has half battery left now, so I don't see why you shouldn't get 6-8 hours out of it easily? I was locking my phone between use rather than having it on all the time though.

Great little phone though, I'd take one over an iPhone any day (and in fact did.)

Colin

I've also got the same phone. With the GPS turned on and using one of the geocaching apps I can almost see the battery drain before my very eyes. I'd be really interested to know how you get 6 - 8 hours life out of it. It's a very good phone, but I wouldn't use it for caching or navigating unless I didn't have my Oregon.

I've got a Desire, and I LOVE it, it's easily the best phone I've ever owned by a VERY long way. GPS fix is very fast, and it seems easier on the battery than some other phones I've used. Android is a very smart OS and manages itself very efficiently. I can usually get a good few hours continuous use out of the GPS which is enough for a few caches whenever I feel like doing them.

I've got a Proporta external 3400mAh battery pack to keep me charged up on the move as well.

c:geo is a very nice app that supports more features than the official Geocaching one - I like being able to post my finds to Twitter, and c:geo also handles TB drops nicely. It doesn't always seem to work, though - it hung up on me today so I went back to using the official app which worked fine. Between the pair of them, I can do all I need. Accuracy seems very good indeed - any failure to find a cache with the Desire is down to me, not the phone. :)

Lee

I use a Google Nexus S. If I don't have my GPSr with me I use that. The GPS reception on it is good, it's even accurate in forests and the front facing camera also comes in handy for taking photos of me with my finds. Battery life could be better, but then you can always carry a spare.