Allow 203 earthcaches to survive

Konnarock Kid & Marge

Hi folks,

We thought part of the previous topic was too important to be dropped. Stopping input and disallowing dialogue doesn't solve anything. This OP wants the discussion to be openly aired and not swept under the rug so TPTB, please don't close this thread!

All biases,+ and -, toward Cav Scout put aside, we need those 203 ECs to live! In a most civilized manner, approach (email) the folks at Groundspeak and respectfully request that the ECs be allowed to be adopted.

It would also be nice if Geoaware would contact GS on our behalf.

Thanks. :)

edited for spellin' error!

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

What's stopping people from going to any of those Earthcache sites and making an Earthcache of their own?

Nothing, but as several folks said on a previously related thread, why should they have to do it?

CS must put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into those 203 ECs.

Everyone of those 203 ECs would have to be visited (within one month) by a knowledgeable and more important, an interested earthcacher. Then, those earthcachers would have to rewrite the cache page.

As was said earlier, why have to go to all of that trouble when there is a simple solution......allow adoption!.

P.S. We are glad to see that you want the discussion continued. Thanks. :)

edited for a spacing error. Note to self: stop making errors!

What's stopping people from going to any of those Earthcache sites and making an Earthcache of their own?

Nothing, but as several folks said on a previously related thread, why should they have to do it?

CS must put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into those203 ECs.

Everyone of those 203 ECs would have to be visited (within one month) by a knowledgeable and more important, an interested earthcacher. Then, those earthcachers would have to rewrite the cache page.

As was said earlier, why have to go to all of that trouble when there is a simple solution......allow adoption!.

P.S. We are glad to see that you want the discussion continued. Thanks. :)

I never had an issue with pure discussion about the topic. It's when baseless accusations started flying that the topic lost its course.

I'm sorry, but 203 caches in the big scheme of things are not much. If people want the sites recognized bad enough, they'll make a cache of their own.

I am still waiting on a return email from Groundspeak so that I can adopt them until his ban is over. That is if they will allow it, but what would be the big deal unless it is a add to the punishment.

We sincerely hope that your request is heard and granted! It would be a real tragedy if 203 ECs are gone.

The suggestion that all that is needed is for some earthcacher to visit and rewrite all of those ECs is no solution. I'm old and probably don't have enough time to see that happen! Heck, maybe you young folks don't have enough time to see it happen. Thanks. :)

Two hundred three earthcaches are not much in the scheme of things? It easy to say if you have only done one!

I am still waiting on a return email from Groundspeak so that I can adopt them until his ban is over. That is if they will allow it, but what would be the big deal unless it is a add to the punishment.

We sincerely hope that your request is heard and granted! It would be a real tragedy if 203 ECs are gone.

The suggestion that all that is needed is for some earthcacher to visit and rewrite all of those ECs is no solution. I'm old and probably don't have enough time to see that happen! Heck, maybe you young folks don't have enough time to see it happen. Thanks. :)

How can you say it's not a solution? Surely with that many Earthcaches, many people visited them and as such, they could all be gobbled up in no time.

Or is that too much work?

How can you say it's not a solution? Surely with that many Earthcaches, many people visited them and as such, they could all be gobbled up in no time.

You miss an important point. The guidelines state that you must have visited the EC area within the last one month! Visited them? When? Logging the EC two years ago wouldn't count!

By the way, speaking of motivations, what are yours? Ours is to save the ECs and/or make sure GS lives up to it part it's ban and reinstate CS when the time has elapsed. Thanks. :santa:

You miss an important point. The guidelines state that you must have visited the EC area within the last one month! Visited them? When? Logging the EC two years ago wouldn't count!

By the way, speaking of motivations, what are yours? Ours is to save the ECs and/or make sure GS lives up to it part it's ban and reinstate CS when the time has elapsed. Thanks. :santa:

I get your point...one month, got it. My point remains that even though it wouldn't be immediate for all of them, surely they would still be visited.

My motivation is that GS no doubt has its reasons for what it's doing. Perhaps if everyone just calms down the reasons will become apparent.

Just a couple of options that may have not been considered:

1. The cache owner could possibly take his Listings and post them on an alternative site.

2. The supporters of this idea could possibly submit his Listings on the similar Category over on Waymarking.

Just my 0.02. Seems less painful than banging ones head against this particular wall.

Best of luck to you all.

I get your point...one month, got it. My point remains that even though it wouldn't be immediate for all of them, surely they would still be visited.

My motivation is that GS no doubt has its reasons for what it's doing. Perhaps if everyone just calms down the reasons will become apparent.

Well, you miss another point. You have said in an earlier thread, "What gives? Anyone know why?

As curious as we may be, this thread is not questioning why! Our main point is to save the ECs and have CS reinstated as per the original ban.

If you think that GS will reveal the whys than you have "another think coming"! For many. many reasons, they never do that and we are not asking for that information.

You may not think it worth it and think there's not much work involved, but most experienced earthcachers we have heard from and who don't have an axe to grind, want to save the ECs! Thanks. :)

Well, you miss another point. You have said in an earlier thread, "What gives? Anyone know why?

As curious as we may be, this thread is not questioning why! Our main point is to save the ECs and have CS reinstated as per the original ban.

If you think that GS will reveal the whys than you have "another think coming"! For many. many reasons, they never do that and we are not asking for that information.

You may not think it worth it and think there's not much work involved, but most experienced earthcachers we have heard from and who don't have an axe to grind, want to save the ECs! Thanks. :)

Excuse me? "Experienced" Earthcachers? You know, I may not have as many hides or finds as a lot of people, but that doesn't make me inexperienced. I do know what goes on behind the scenes to get them published and to find them.

As far as axes to grind, I really don't care either way. GS has done what they have done, and that's fine. They know more about what's going on than any of us, so I respect their decision.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

Just a couple of options that may have not been considered:

1. The cache owner could possibly take his Listings and post them on an alternative site.

2. The supporters of this idea could possibly submit his Listings on the similar Category over on Waymarking.

Just my 0.02. Seems less painful than banging ones head against this particular wall.

Best of luck to you all.

We really appreciate your constructive comments, but taking the ECs away and re listing them eliminates them as earthcaches and that's exactly what we want to preserve. Right now, the archived ECs can be visited and logged and that's better than nothing, but they will not show up on searches and at any time could be locked! Maybe that is next?

I agree that banging ones head against the wall is usually unproductive, but sometimes you've got to what you can for a good cause. Thanks. :)

I don't believe anyone has mentioned that as the EC logging requirement rules have changed, many of CS earthcaches would no longer meet the modern requirements....thus many of them cannot be "simply rewritten" and resubmitted as some users have stated.

I really wish GS was more transparent in this process.....I don't know CS but have enjoyed his earthcaches! I have NOTHING to push about reinstatement of CS (I don't have enough info nor do I wish to get involved in a debate with GS!) But I do hope that somehow GS can see it clear to allow adoptions of these caches.

As one who has written 70 earthcaches and adopted 3 from TD2, I value the contribution that ECs make to our world and our game!

Let´s wait what will be GS respond to Joranda´s request. They should answer although for them it could be already closed chapter. If their respond is negative (I hope it won´t be) then we can discuss about saving them. At least those that will meet new guidelines.

Edited by k-lord

Let´s wait what will be GS respond to Joranda´s request. They should answer although for them it could be already closed chapter. If their respond is negative (I hope it won´t be) then we can discuss about saving them. At least those that will meet new guidelines.

Ms. Jen was nice enough to email me back this morning and they will not unarchive the ECs.

" It is our determination that these caches will remain permanently archived."

You are welcome to re-submit the caches under your own account, and the reviewer team will be happy to publish those that comply with the current cache publication guidelines (for both EarthCaches and the rest) and our Terms of Use.

I did what I could, I asked to talk them over and I got my answer. As far as copy and paste his earthcaches, I will not, they was his ideas. The ones here in my home state that I was at with him and in Missouri while we was at MOGA, since we found them together those I will try as long as geoware will publish them for me.

Ms. Jen was nice enough to email me back this morning and they will not unarchive the ECs.

You are welcome to re-submit the caches under your own account, and the reviewer team will be happy to publish those that comply with the current cache publication guidelines (for both EarthCaches and the rest) and our Terms of Use.

I did what I could, I asked to talk them over and I got my answer. As far as copy and paste his earthcaches, I will not, they was his ideas. The ones here in my home state that I was at with him and in Missouri while we was at MOGA, since we found them together those I will try as long as geoware will publish them for me.

Thanks for trying, joranda. Alas, if one of the new requirements is that the EC owner has to have visited the EC site within 1 month prior to submitting, I can't help out. Last EC I did of CS' was August, and I won't be out in Colorado again before next year. :-( Kentucky maybe this coming spring. Ah well.

Thanks for trying.

It is sad but it was expectable. Well, I hope at least the best one will be saved for other people.

Edited by k-lord

It is sad that 203 ECs need to be lost to the community.

I trust that GS will be able reconsider their decision in the light of a number of cachers wanting them to remain and I trust that adoption will be allowed - it seems so pointless to cut n paste - seems so like a second hand option. I hope something like this does not happen again.

How long will his ban last? Is it really two months or it was extended? If only 2 months he can ask reviewer to unarchive many of them. If there is no other EC, it should be possible.

How long will his ban last? Is it really two months or it was extended? If only 2 months he can ask reviewer to unarchive many of them. If there is no other EC, it should be possible.

If his ban is over he will be cacher like anyone else. And anyone can ask reviewer to unarchive his/her cache if it is possible. If not, than it is definitely personal from someone in GS. It is nothing special to unarchive EC, I have already seen it.

If his ban is over he will be cacher like anyone else. And anyone can ask reviewer to unarchive his/her cache if it is possible. If not, than it is definitely personal from someone in GS. It is nothing special to unarchive EC, I have already seen it.

Proof? :anibad:

k-lord,

You have no basis for your comments about it being personal. A decision has been made and as stated many times before, Goundspeak will not discuss the details of personal issues publicly.

Your statement that "it is definitely personal" has no basis and does nothing but stir the pot. If you would like to comment on the caches and the loss of them please do so, but please refrain from making general statements such as this.

Thank you.

Well Joranda, you did what you could. Your brother is a professional Soilder, so he knows if he is the first to go, the rest of us Vultures will divide up his gear. I think that we was treated unfairly, but he must have pee'd pretty high up the chain of command at Groundspeak.

We have visited some of his EC's at Cumberland Gap in the last 30 days, I have logged them on GC and Waymarking before. I really don't want to have to do a copy and paste, or deal with another land manager, but I will if that is what it takes to keep these EC's alive. So what do you think about friends resubmitting his caches? :anibad:

Proof? :anibad:

Oh well, I expected that from you. No surprise. Please read my post again and maybe again until you understand that completely. :mad: (hint: IF CS is still "special" cacher for GS even after ban)

Any reason why some cacher could not have the possibility to ask reviewer to unarchive his/her cache?

Edited by k-lord

k-lord,

You have no basis for your comments about it being personal. A decision has been made and as stated many times before, Goundspeak will not discuss the details of personal issues publicly.

Your statement that "it is definitely personal" has no basis and does nothing but stir the pot. If you would like to comment on the caches and the loss of them please do so, but please refrain from making general statements such as this.

Thank you.

Oh well, another one. Do you understand word "IF"? I did not say it is now as nothing proves it is personal right now. I have never said it is personal now. I expected it would not be unarchived as GS had never done it before.

Edited by k-lord

Darn, well there was hope.

Hmmm...you seem to have a huge vested interest in this topic. Is there something you're not telling everyone? :mad:

None at all other than wondering why you started this thread then were so happy to see the outcome. :anibad:

That and I think it was a shame to treat another human being this way even if he was banned for whatever reason. I don't know the story but I bet you can fill me in. It's called karma and it will come back to get you eventually.

Darn, well there was hope.

Hmmm...you seem to have a huge vested interest in this topic. Is there something you're not telling everyone? :anibad:

Everyone who likes earthcaches and C.S.´s ideas (other than just stealing his ideas to resubmit them as his own ones) are interested in this topic, IMO. :mad:

None at all other than wondering why you started this thread then were so happy to see the outcome. :anibad:

That and I think it was a shame to treat another human being this way even if he was banned for whatever reason. I don't know the story but I bet you can fill me in. It's called karma and it will come back to get you eventually.

1. I didn't start this thread.

2. I am happy to see the issue finally resolved. Is that so bad?

3. I will not comment on the whys but judging from past actions anything the man gets is probably deserved.

1. I didn't start this thread.

2. I am happy to see the issue finally resolved. Is that so bad?

3. I will not comment on the whys but judging from past actions anything the man gets is probably deserved.

The thread that started this whole mess was at 6:32pm on Dec 5, 2010. Remeber that? Then it got shut down. And maybe he deserved what he got, but there was no reason for this to happen other than to kick him while he was down.