Oregon 450 tutorial related to geocaching?

EFLFT

My Oregon 450 is on it's way, and I'm wondering what I need to know when I open the box .. what I should do first .. what I should learn most importantly before going out in the field and trying it out. The only GPS I've used before is my nuvi for the car and apps on my blackberry.

Are there any good tutorials out there for setting up your Oregon 450 for the first time, and/or using it from a geocacher's perspective?

Thanks in advance!

step 1: put the batteries in. :)

things you may want to check or do:

turn WAAS on

check datum and coord format (WGS84 and hddd mm.mmm)

switch to off-road navigation

configure to map screens and compass screens to show you the data fields and/or the dashboard you want

load a good map

load some caches

calibrate the compass

step 1: put the batteries in. :)

things you may want to check or do:

turn WAAS on

check datum and coord format (WGS84 and hddd mm.mmm)

switch to off-road navigation

configure to map screens and compass screens to show you the data fields and/or the dashboard you want

load a good map

load some caches

calibrate the compass

I eventually turned off "relief shading".

Edited by kunarion

And call Garmin, and tell them you want the part that slides on the back that accepts the ball socket (looks very similar to the caribiner that you can slide on there. It should only cost about $8 (but if you're nice, they may give it to you for free.. they did mine). Then you can use it with the bean bag dashboard mount.

First thing I did was learn how to move 5,000 caches in various GPX files onto the unit and explore.

The questions I needed answers to I learned by trying.

Just this evening I learned how to manage multiple .img files on the 4GB memory card

( Download maps from GPSFileDepot, extract and install them, run Garmin Basecamp, select maps, right-click on expansion ram disk, Install Maps, select, next, when done, copy them back onto my computer hard drive (since each time basecamp writes a new map it clobbers the old one, copy them back and forth as needed.) :anibad:

( Download maps from GPSFileDepot, extract and install them, run Garmin Basecamp, select maps, right-click on expansion ram disk, Install Maps, select, next, when done, copy them back onto my computer hard drive (since each time basecamp writes a new map it clobbers the old one, copy them back and forth as needed.) :anibad:

Get the right map package, and all you need to do is : rename if necessary, and copy it onto microSD card, under the Garmin folder.

Thanks everyone for all the tips! I've got my screen protector on, batteries in, and updated the settings you guys suggested. Next to backup, update, and upload some caches! woohoo!! :anicute:

I did see REI sells a video tutorial for the 450 .. has anyone viewed it? Good? bad? too basic to bother?

I've no doubt I'll figure out how to use it .. but I want to figure out how to use it most efficiently, so that's sort of the guide I'm looking for.

Thanks again!

Cachechick - So what do you think so far? I'm thinking about hoping on board for a 450 also. I have 2 delorme's that i would have to unload first to free up the funds to be able to though. decisions decisions

Well I don't think I'm in a good place to give a review right now, as all I've done is turn it on basically ... I haven't had an offroad GPS before, I've only had my nuvi and blackberry apps ... I can tell you this puppy is much more responsive already than both of those, and rugged. Seems great so far! :anicute:

I eventually turned off "relief shading".

I did this to improve brightness :

http://www.gpsfix.net/making-the-oregon-an...ew-backgrounds/

i never thought the screen is hard to read, i don't know what people are complaining about and i even have the brightness turned somewhere bellow half, and i use the standard water bubbles background

i even find it easy to read with polarized sunglasses

Edited by t4e

Cachechick - So what do you think so far? I'm thinking about hoping on board for a 450 also. I have 2 delorme's that i would have to unload first to free up the funds to be able to though. decisions decisions

If you really want the Oregon 450... it's $240 on GPSCity.com!! Just ordered one this evening. Not sure how long the deal will last, but it's the best price I have seen on this GPS. Can't wait to get it!!!

First thing I did was learn how to move 5,000 caches in various GPX files onto the unit and explore.

I have tried to put the .gpx file in the 450, and it isn't pulling anything up.

I put it in E:/Garmin and E:/Garmin/GPX

Neither one worked. What am I doing wrong?

Nevermind. I am an idiot..... :anicute:

Do you remember what you did wrong? I can't seem to get any loaded on mine either.

Thanks.

Do you remember what you did wrong? I can't seem to get any loaded on mine either.

Thanks.

Sorry, it's been so long since I did it. I switched to a Magellan GC, as I found it easier to navigate.

Sorry I can't help much.

Thanks.

GSAK is the easy way :)

Edited by eusty