"Most Extreme" geocaches?

knowltonGeo

Are there geocaches...

in Antarctica?

in the middle of the ocean?

at the bottom of the ocean?

in space / on the moon / on Mars? (for example, did one of the Mars rovers place one, perhaps?). I guess that is dumb because GPS satellites don't orbit the moon or Mars or objects in space).

in the middle of the desert (Sahara, Gobi, Death Valley, etc.)?

What are the most extreme geocaches you've heard of or have found yourself or would like to place?

Just for fun...I'm curious.

There are caches in Antarctica

There is one at the bottom of the ocean thousands of feet down that you need a specialized submarine to find and there are some in shallower waters that require SCUBA gear. There are plenty on coastal islands.

There is a cache in the International Space Station

There are many caches in deserts.

There was one in the Himalayas that was pretty extreme. I think it was archived though. There are also caches that require technical climbing equipment

Are there geocaches...

in Antarctica?

in space / on the moon / on Mars? (for example, did one of the Mars rovers place one, perhaps?). I guess that is dumb because GPS satellites don't orbit the moon or Mars or objects in space).

What are the most extreme geocaches you've heard of or have found yourself or would like to place?

Just for fun...I'm curious.

in Antarctica?

Yes, a few of them.

Sure, especially if you include some small islands. There's one on Easter Island that is considered one of the remote caches in the world but has *still* been found 67 times.

Yes, the infamous Rainbow Hydrothermal Vents cache 2300 meters deep in the Atlantic.

There's one on the International Space Station. None on the moon or other planets. Since the University where I work was intimately involved with the Mars rovers if they plan on sending up another one I'm going to try and get a geocache added to the payload.

Lots of geocaches in Death Valley. Much fewer in the Sahara, and I'm not sure if there are actually in the Gobi desert. There are only 37 caches in Mongolia and most of them are in the north part of the country.

You can use the Hide and Seek a Cache form and search by Country to see quite a few other places which have very few caches that might be considered "extreme". Take a look at many of the countries in Africa and you find some very large countries with few geocaches, and in many cases quite a few of those caches have never been found.

Although it's not as remote as some others, whenever this topic comes up I like to mention the "Erta Ale Volcano" cache in Ethiopia. Here's a bit from the cache description:

"Not made for the comfort-seeking tourist, you need to get into the world's hottest desert, travel among armed Afar nomad people who are at gunpoint with the ethiopian army and master volcanic territory.

Even now, after the end of the war, the Erta Ale range remains one of the most inaccessible places on earth. There are no roads and temperatures are extremely high. The tribe living there, the Afar people, are proud and strong warriors, often hostile to foreigners.

Getting to Erta Ale is not easy - just to reach the volcano is a test of endurance. The volcano is situated at the bottom of the Danakil Depression, generally considered to be one of the most inhospitable regions on earth, a valley floor 130 m below sea level. The climatic conditions are terrible, with record temperatures 56°C in the shade, but with no shade to be found there.

"

refer to this list, even though no one really knows how accurate it is... :anibad:http://www.cacherstats.com/Rank1-125.html

Geocache on ISS: GC1BE91

Geocache on the bottom of the ocean: GCG822

Geocache in Antarctica, not the only: GCDECD

As for small cache, nano is the smallest I've seen. You can't really fit a logbook into anything smaller...

Edited by Mr. Wilson & a Mt. Goat

I've found a few nano-caches that are smaller than a typical blinker. The smallest that used a commercially available container used a pet ID capsule. They're sold in pet stores. You put a small slip of paper with your contact info in the capsule, and attach it to your pet's collar.

The tiny logs fill up quickly.

I've found a few nano-caches that are smaller than a typical blinker. The smallest that used a commercially available container used a pet ID capsule. They're sold in pet stores. You put a small slip of paper with your contact info in the capsule, and attach it to your pet's collar.

I've found quite a few "blinker" nano caches and only a couple of other "nano" sized caches that were not blinkers. One was a cache I found in South Africa that was a aluminum tube smaller in diameter than a blinker with rubber caps on each end and an tiny earth magnet glued to the side.

I've found quite a few "blinker" nano caches and only a couple of other "nano" sized caches that were not blinkers. One was a cache I found in South Africa that was a aluminum tube smaller in diameter than a blinker with rubber caps on each end and an tiny earth magnet glued to the side.

blinkers?

blinkers?

Nanogeocache.jpg

http://192.168.1.101/~karenmahakian/

Hope you get a chuckle from this -I had to share when I saw this thread!

I'm afraid your link only works for you, it is not a valid address for the rest of the world. :rolleyes:

Too bad, I tried everything to insert a picture from my computer to get on the forum page, but nothing works, so I just put the picture on my profile. java script:emoticon(':)',%20'smid_2')

I notice you are from Utah..

We have these caches here...

Sleeping with the brine shrimp Requires a dredge and a boat...in the Great Salt Lake

Wreck of the Hesperis Miles of walking out across the swampy salt flats.

Eccentric Peak is the end of an 18 mile power trail of caches .. hiking from 10,000 to near 125300 feet

There are a number of slot canyons down south that people rappel into and then find in the process. Also a number of caches on peaks. Nearly every peak in Salt Lake, Weber and Utah county has a cache at the top of it.

Thanks for the info, Blue R!

I wonder if there is one at the top of Mt. Everest.

How might I find-out via the Search feature on geocaching.com?

There's this:

http://coord.info/GC2BX63

If you go to the map view you can kind of explore the world that way. the new map beta is even better for this.

Another alternative is just googling: Everest Geocache and such. cche pages often come up in thiose results.

I wonder about this, too. Apparently, the "cache" on the ISS is a nice PR gag, but this wouldn't work with a significant number of caches out of the earth's GPS orbit.

Coordinates on space objects, i.e. planets (but not necessarily limited to), would be possible: just identify north-and southpole and build a city named "Greenwich". Basic caching as we know it, just without GPS, could start with that...

Wow! Very cool. As a marine biologist I'd love to not only to find the cache, but to see the hydrothermal vents up-close. Alas, my research focuses on the rocky intertidal so I've yet to have a reason (or a means!) to go down in a submersible.

Nice cache, wrong rating. Terrain is 5.0 - that's based on the challenge of getting to GZ. Difficulty is based on how hard it is to find when you are at GZ. That's how the guidelines lay it out. Difficulty is no higher than 3.0 or possibly a bit higher due to the water. What do I base this on? The cache description!

Once you are near the coordinates it is really easy to find due to all the gold shining bright in the dark ;-)

D 4.0, T 5.0

Edited by wmpastor