WP7 v2.0 Release Notes

Hello everyone! This is a list of changes and bug fixes in the latest version of the Windows Phone 7 app (version 2.0). Please let us know if you encounter any issues with any of these changes. All unrelated issues should be reported on our feedback site located at: http://feedback.geocaching.com. Thanks!

New Features:

* Motion-based compass

* Save geocache data and static bing™ map tiles to the device for use while outside of network coverage

* Souvenirs support

I have been using the WP7 phone app for a while and I recently got an automatic update from the marketplace (I think it must be this release you are referring to). Since then, whenever I try and get a list of geocaches near my current location or near a specific address it says "Network error: Unable to contact server. Please try again later. OK". Everything else works fine, including looking up my badges, etc., and no problems with the network or other apps accessing the Internet. Even in the geocaching app I can clearly see my location update in the Bing Map. Also, geocaching works fine on my wife's iPhone still. This seems to be a problem specific to the latest version of the WP7 app.

Here is an update: I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it, and now I get that error doing almost anything such as logging in etc. Is it possible you have set a global network timeout to 1 or 2 seconds? Anyway I am also a WP7 phone developer so let me know if you need any help debugging... but this new version is unusable!

Thanks

Edited by lex3001

Get the same error message today on my HTC HD7. But i was using the App with V2 already days ago and there was no problems. So i guess it is not the App itself that cause the problem.

Interesting -- I cannot recall exactly when I installed the new version, but this problem just started. I clicked on Help in the app and there was a link to another forum or something where about 20 people have reported this same issue. I've got the LG Optimus / 900.

I DID notice last weekend that out of 4 logs I entered and sent from the phone, only two actually got posted to geocaching (but no errors)... I wonder if that is related somehow. After reinstalling the app today (and noticing that is now only $9.99, I paid $19.99!) I had to try and log in about 20 times before it finally worked... but still not cache search results. Fortunately my wife does have the app on her iPhone still ;-)

I have gotten the same "Network error: Unable to contact server. Please try again later. OK". for a few days. I noted that my USER: field was blank but the SETTINGS would NOT allow me to CHANGE USER. I contacted ATT, no help, they sent me to SAMSUNG, no help but they did help step through an uninstall of the app. When I tried to re-buy the screen said that I already purchased (yea!) but wouldn't give me a reinstall screen. I installed the Free Trial which worked and then after multiple times trying to change user was given a purchase button. It noted that I already owned and offered to REINSTALL, (yea!)Seemed to go OK but everytime at tried to search I get the same "Network error: Unable to contact server. Please try again later. OK".

Who do we talk to for any support of the WP7 GC app?

I don't have any email or other contact about the app after purchasing discussing support.

Please try and provide a support site page.

There is NO REFUND for the app and the app ceased to work after a week. This feels like a server time out issue or more likely the server failing to recognize the WP7 GC app with our GC ID Profile.

2Dee2Dee

Hi, all!

Just took my brand new HTC HD7 on its first Geocache today! I was hoping it'd be more accurate than the iPhone version (ever since I updated my iPhone 3GS to Version 4 operating system the GPS coverage/accuracy was ruined!) and only once had the above error. I'm in NW England near Liverpool. However I did note a few major (and REALLY important) differences between the two Geocaching apps!

Firstly, the Windows 7 version seems very VERY diluted in comparison to its iPhone counterpart!

Secondly, I couldn't set up any waypoints as there's no function for this. This renders the app only useful for 'traditional' caches.

Thirdly, I was unable to send/attach an image to my cache log.

The major issue I had was the waypoint function. Having chosen a 'multicache' I then had to use my own spatial awareness and initiative to locate the final cache location, which was not so far away! Furthermore, there doesn't seem to be another app in the Marketplace which provides the user with the facility to punch in their own Long-Lat coordinates! Several will 'locate' you (heaven knows WHY?) and the only one I could find used the decimal format!

Any ideas on an app which permits waypoint programming?

And to the Geocaching.com Windows 7 developers.... please update the software with a waypoint manager of some kind, otherwise this will remain an 'unfinished' and part-functioning application!

Kindest regards

Monster Boo!

Edited by Monster Boo!

Version 2.1 has been released!

Features:

* Sort lists of geocaches.

* Behind the scenes improvements.

I am also getting archived caches in search results now. For example, searching in 94709 brings back King Cahce which is archived.

I have been using the WP7 phone app for a while and I recently got an automatic update from the marketplace (I think it must be this release you are referring to). Since then, whenever I try and get a list of geocaches near my current location or near a specific address it says "Network error: Unable to contact server. Please try again later. OK". Everything else works fine, including looking up my badges, etc., and no problems with the network or other apps accessing the Internet. Even in the geocaching app I can clearly see my location update in the Bing Map. Also, geocaching works fine on my wife's iPhone still. This seems to be a problem specific to the latest version of the WP7 app.

I incurred the network error a few times when I first started with version 2.0

The way I got it to start working again was to restart my phone (usually just turning it of & then back on, sometimes taking out the battery while it was still powered up). Would work fine after that.

Now version 2.1 is showing all kinds of archived geocaches that no longer exist.

Why is this new release showing me Archived caches from YEARS ago? What good is this feature? How do I get rid of these archived caches in my lists that come up when I'm searching for nearby caches?

I am experiencing the same problem. Have to check the logs for every cache showing up in the app to see if it is acually still active.

Hello everyone! We've made some behind the scenes fixes that will improve the behavior of the Windows Phone 7 app. No update to the app is required! These fixes have already taken effect.

Bug Fixes:

* "Hide my finds" now only hides geocaches you've logged as "Found".

* Pocket Queries are working.

* Connection issues have been resolved.

* Archived caches no longer show up in searches.

If you still experience any of these issues, or if you have any other ideas or feedback for us, please visit our Customer Feedback Site and let us know!

Edited by JYoungman

OK. So after experiencing frustrations with the 2.0.0.0 version, I can't get my phone to download the new release. First chasing down non-existent archived caches, then a persistent 'There was an error logging into your account. Please try again.' message. What's the trick to making this app actually work?

Update - glad to see it was not an issue with me or the phone. Was able to see nearby caches after clearing out the initial (Seattle?) cache list. I'll give it a run through this weekend to see how well it works. Keeping my fingers crossed for a great experience!

Edited by finnfive

Same problem here. Since the update I can't login anymore.

--> There was an error logging into your account. Please try again. <--

Tried to reinstall, nothing works:_(

Update: Now it works perfect! THX!

OK. So after experiencing frustrations with the 2.0.0.0 version, I can't get my phone to download the new release. First chasing down non-existent archived caches, then a persistent 'There was an error logging into your account. Please try again.' message. What's the trick to making this app actually work?

Edited by sethix

Hi there,

just installed the app and the error is still the same. user and password are checked correctly. running that thru the error comes to the screen.

Uninstall & reinstall does not fit the problem. Just the this: The app version in zune and online is 2.1. The version being installed is 2.0 (shown in the app).

Please check the error ...

Thanks & regards

Andy

Update: Lockin is now ok !

Edited by AndyXt

I just bought the app and I also can't log in, I just get the message

"403: Forbidden - Access is denied"

What gives?

I am getting the exact same results.

please help!

ok i powercycled my phone and it works now.

When trying to change users I keep getting the error page:

"403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.

You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied."

Powercycling my phone didn't fix it. Kept getting loads of "Network error: Unable to contact server. Please try again later. OK".

Using a HTC Trophy WP7. Left the phone for a few hours, came back and things are working again.

What gives?!

Reading this:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=248232&st=0&p=4315119&hl=api&fromsearch=1entry4315119

I'm guessing that the IP address that I've been allocated isn't in one of the "allowed blocks". Why not just allow access from all IPs and charge a monthly/yearly fee to use the API. Could make the app free then as well since your costs would be covered on a recurring basis through the subscription fee!