Important Message from Groundspeak

CacheDrone

Please see this thread by Elias

Which states

As Groundspeak and Geocaching.com have grown, the demands on our production network infrastructure have increased significantly. As a result, on Tuesday December 14, 2010 at 8:00 PM PST (GMT -8), we will be performing a number of major upgrades to our production network. These upgrades include a new network design as well as new hardware to help increase the performance, scalability, and security of the network.

We're estimating that the downtime may take up to 6 hours, and during that time, all Groundspeak sites and services including Geocaching.com, the Groundspeak Forums, Pocket Queries, Geocaching Mobile Applications, and other 3rd party applications that access our API will be inaccessible.

While we're giving ourselves a 6 hour window to cover anything unexpected that might come up, we'll be doing everything possible to minimize the downtime and are confident that we'll have the site back up much sooner.

At this time I do not know if this will affect Waymarking or Wherigo but I would assume since the message speaks of ALL Groundspeak then likely it will.

You can discuss stuff about it here, but the real thread is the one that would be a better place to do so. It is unlikely that any tech stuff will be addressed in the Canada Forums.

:) CD

According to this thread, the 6 hours of down time was well worth it.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=265367

In reality it was a bit more than 6 hours downtime (try 9 hours, followed by site issues for another 4 hours), but once the dust settled the site is indeed much better.

Now, just wait until Tuesday's update if you really wanna blow your mind.

According to this thread, the 6 hours of down time was well worth it.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=265367

In reality it was a bit more than 6 hours downtime (try 9 hours, followed by site issues for another 4 hours), but once the dust settled the site is indeed much better.

Now, just wait until Tuesday's update if you really wanna blow your mind.

What ever could you mean ? :)

Yeah, those new features are gonna be awesome. We've been playing with one of them for a little over a month now and are already talking about some extra-cool enhancements for a future upgrade.

:blink: BQ

Yeah, those new features are gonna be awesome. We've been playing with one of them for a little over a month now and are already talking about some extra-cool enhancements for a future upgrade.

:blink: BQ

You are such a tease. :)

I don't mean to be... the info is public.

Groundspeak has been working on new maps that are much better than what is currently available but more important (to me anyway) is the new "Favorites" option where people can give praise to caches they really enjoyed by tagging them as a favorite. In short check out this link for more details

As many new features take a lot of time to create and test, it should go without saying that Groundspeak has spent a lot of time on the development of the favorites feature, so much so that as reviewers we've been testing and discussing it for some time. We could not talk about it until there was a public announcement but now that there is I hope that everyone enjoys it as much as is hoped. Especially since people have been wanting some kind of rating system for a long time. Likely Groundspeak has been extra cautious to make sure that there is no method is saying "This cache sucks". Being able to favourite your top 10% of all your finds seems like a great way to say these are exceptional, without passing any judgment on the other 90%.

:anibad: BQ

i would hold my breath about people enjoying the new rating system, i have no doubt that the complaining will start very soon...but hey, can't please everyone

i only wish there was some way to block the paranoid posts about a public profile being a privacy issue, i'm sure someone will find a way to see some privacy issue with the rating too ;):blink: