Coin Activation Code Retrieval Problem

The Klever Boys

As an update to my search for the activation code for my coin, I e-mailed geocoinshop.de last night and asked for the code, this morning I had the code in my inbox. Great service in my opinion and I will definitely be buying coins from them again. The reason I didn't get the code originally was because I bought the coin on e-Bay. Thanks to all of you who offered help.

Jack

Still not working for me.

Still don't know why and there is very little update activity on the "report a problem forum". As soon as it came out we were able to get about 45 codes. The next day we tried we got the famous error. Another cacher we know tried, retrieved one code successfully, went back in the next day and same problem. It has persisted ever since. We reported it several months ago. We received an acknowledgment it is broken at that time and they were working on it.....hmmmm...

Keep in mind we are paying 1.50/coin for this (not to mention 150.00 for the icon). :tired:

I was originally able to get codes from that page, maybe 30 or so. One day I went to retrieve a code and it didn't work. That was about three months ago. I was told that it should be fixed in the next geocaching.com update but I have no idea when that will be.

If you need an activation code, you can send an email to contact@geocaching.com with the tracking #. If you send a photo of the coin with tracking # showing, that'd be even better.

This is wacko. Not to rub it in any ones face but why? WHY? I've never had any problems using this page since it came out. Don't understand why others can't use the page.

i tried again today, not working. and no where in the geocoin faq does it give you the url page to actually get to the retrieval system, at least as far as i could see. i had to search back in the forum to get the link.

seems to me this should be a bigger priority than it is 'cause the last update did not fix the problem.

rsg

Still perplex by this. One person can the next cant .......but can on another account, could at one time but now can't.

Is it browser used, cookies, platinum members only, the extra millions abled ones pay to GC?????

I am using latest version of firefox.

I'm as perplexed as you are. When it first came out, it worked great. I was able to get a bunch of codes. Then one day (about four months ago) it started giving those error messages and it still does to this day. I tried using my parent's account but it gave me the same message. I'm using the latest version of Firefox but I also tried IE and Chrome.

When we opened a feedback thread, a Lackey said it might be a throttling issue. In another post (not sure which thread), another Lackey said they were working on the issue and that it'd be fixed in an upcoming update. It didn't happen in the last update so maybe the next.

Grrrr - I've used the activation code retrieval page successfully about 10 times over the last 2 weeks and now I am getting the message

Lost Activation Code

User have exceed hourly activation code requests limits. Please wait before making additonal request.
An Error Has Occurred

[We cannot retrieve an activation code for this trackable at this time.]

Reasons:*User have exceed hourly activation code requests limits. Please wait before making additonal request.

That is #%$@^@ annoying!!!

It is obvious account based as it has happened to me now for 3 days, tried 2 different browsers...

:mad:

Grrrr - I've used the activation code retrieval page successfully about 10 times over the last 2 weeks and now I am getting the message

Lost Activation Code

User have exceed hourly activation code requests limits. Please wait before making additonal request.
An Error Has Occurred

[We cannot retrieve an activation code for this trackable at this time.]

Reasons:*User have exceed hourly activation code requests limits. Please wait before making additonal request.

That is #%$@^@ annoying!!!

It is obvious account based as it has happened to me now for 3 days, tried 2 different browsers...

:mad:

still happening to me too. remind me again why i renewed my premium membership?

Let's see...they get revenue from membership, advertising and hey......GEOCOINS!!!! 1.50/coin plus the icon. We opened a case 4 months ago. I posted almost 4 weeks ago with a simple question "anything...? Never even got a response.

I suggest we go through our coin box's and collect all the tracking numbers of coins like A&E coins and a couple other manufacturer's that REQUIRE GS involment and we all request activation codes. :anibad:

I've just taken 6 unactivated geocoins from my box, at random, and used the link to get the activation codes - No problem with any of them - Got them all.

For two of the geocoins I was redirected to the Coins&Pins site for the codes, with the other four geocoins the codes appeared directly.

MrsB

It seems to just randomly start happening, but once it does - that's it, no more codes. :mad:

Out of interest I will try it on my work computer also, but from what I've seem so far I am expecting the same result.

Edited by keewee

Here is the Groundspeak Report a Problem page for the activation code issue.

I'd suggest everyone follow the link, say their bit about it and give it some votes to bump it up the priority list. I gave it 3 votes and may give it more yet.

I think the higher on the list it is the more attention they give it and at the moment it is on the second page of issues - so everyone needs to go and add their votes to this please, otherwise it may not get be getting their attention.

Edited by keewee

I just posted the following in one of the other threads about the activation code issue and thought I would post here too as it is relevant (and not all of you might have the other thread on your watch list)

Here is the Groundspeak Report a Problem page for the activation code issue.

I'd suggest everyone follow the link, say their bit about it and give it some votes to bump it up the priority list. I gave it 3 votes and may give it more yet.

I think the higher on the list it is the more attention they give it and at the moment it is on the second page of issues - so everyone needs to go and add their votes to this please, otherwise it may not get be getting their attention.

Edited by keewee

here is my theory on this situation -

I believe that it is bad software at Groundspeak

they have code that is supposed to keep the number of failed attempts to a minimum

as in, keep a persistant person (or robo guesser) from trying codes over and over until they get one right

typically, these allow a particular number of wrong codes in a particuler time period

(say, 4 wrong codes in an hour)

but the software is not working correctly, and is locking some people out forever, not just for an hour

I would bet that -

A. the ones who are locked out have used the facility several times

B. the ones who can still use it will get locked out if they continue to use it

it is too bad, really

it would have been a handy feature, if it were reliable

here is my theory on this situation -

I believe that it is bad software at Groundspeak

they have code that is supposed to keep the number of failed attempts to a minimum

as in, keep a persistant person (or robo guesser) from trying codes over and over until they get one right

typically, these allow a particular number of wrong codes in a particuler time period

(say, 4 wrong codes in an hour)

but the software is not working correctly, and is locking some people out forever, not just for an hour

I would bet that -

A. the ones who are locked out have used the facility several times

B. the ones who can still use it will get locked out if they continue to use it

it is too bad, really

it would have been a handy feature, if it were reliable

That Captcha system is a @(*@!@@@$ pain in the @#!!

Every second or third time you can't read what it has there clearly enough to interpret it so if FAILS. And now I've discovered it is putting comma's in there too! Grrrrr

.......and here is the other link 4 months old with 30 votes. :anibad:

Awesome - thanks for that (couldn't find it when I looked earlier). I've changed the link above to point to that one now - no use in splitting the vote.

I see a number of people have made comments but not placed votes on it - you must place votes to get it noticed! I see they list it as started, but with more votes they will give it more attention.

Edited by keewee

commented and voted 3 votes. but i feel nothing will happen until GS makes it a priority and no amount of voting or complaining is going to hurry that along. this issue was supposed to be fixed with the last maintenance and nothing happened. activation codes problem does not affect very many members and as such is not terribly important.

it isn't as if we can "force" GS to do anything and this just shows how much value they place on a small group of folks — us. i mean, what are we going to do, really?

rsg

commented and voted 3 votes. but i feel nothing will happen until GS makes it a priority and no amount of voting or complaining is going to hurry that along. this issue was supposed to be fixed with the last maintenance and nothing happened. activation codes problem does not affect very many members and as such is not terribly important.

it isn't as if we can "force" GS to do anything and this just shows how much value they place on a small group of folks — us. i mean, what are we going to do, really?

rsg

Just added a vote...it deducted 2 from my total votes left. It should be reading 43 votes.....geez..... :angry:

Edited by JoenSue

I was getting activation codes from the GC.com link. Then I got a posting of "exceeded hourly request wait and try again later" or something like that. Well it has been a loooon time and it would not let me get an activation code. I then went to my second account (one that I use to hold my muggled trackables) and got codes there. I ended up getting the same statement after a while. Now, over a month later, I cannot get the codes. What is going on and how can I get it to work again?

Please email me (I do not go to the forums and will probably not get the answer that you worked so hard to send me. My email address is amtg@aol.com. Please put something in the subject line about geocoins or geocaching so I do not delete it as spam.

I have way too many coins (HA) and still have a lot to activate. When I found out about this link, I quit writing down where the site to retrieve the codes for each code....silly me. Now I am stuck with a bunch of coins (>100) that I may have to hunt and peck to find the site to get the codes.

Where do I go to get my account "unlocked" or is this an over and done with thing?

Help!

AMTG (And Miles To Go)

Kathleen

amtg@aol.com

We are aware of the issue and our development is currently looking into it. In the meantime, if you know where you purchased the trackable, you may find the activation code available from these manufacturers. If not, please send an email to contact@geocaching.com with the tracking code information until the tool is fixed on the website.

Bumping the response from Love.

It also helps to state in your email that you've tried using the activation code retrieval website and it didn't work for yourself.

I've also sent in a photo of the coin and tracking # visible along with my email. The last time I got a code this way, I got a response with the code in about two days.

We are aware of the issue and our development is currently looking into it. In the meantime, if you know where you purchased the trackable, you may find the activation code available from these manufacturers. If not, please send an email to contact@geocaching.com with the tracking code information until the tool is fixed on the website.

It also helps to state in your email that you've tried using the activation code retrieval website and it didn't work for yourself.

I've also sent in a photo of the coin and tracking # visible along with my email. The last time I got a code this way, I got a response with the code in about two days.

Ditto - got a response within 48 hours, but I hadn't included a photo.

Given Love's response is a month-and-a-half old it would be nice to get an update please.

the first time i didn't say up front i had already tried to use the code retrieval website and it didn't work so, of course, GS response was "try the web site." second time i said that IN BIG LETTERS right up front. didn't send a photo.

rsg

the first time i didn't say up front i had already tried to use the code retrieval website and it didn't work so, of course, GS response was "try the web site." second time i said that IN BIG LETTERS right up front. didn't send a photo.

rsg

Yep, I've gotten the "try the website" response from Groundspeak as well, so now I make sure to state that I've already tried to use it, so I don't have to play email tag with them.

We have several geocoins that were purchased from an online auction site.

The coins are all unactivated and trackable on Geocaching.com.

We have retrieved activation codes from geocaching.com in the past, but recently our attempts during the past two weeks have resulted in an error message stating that we have exceeded the hourly limit for code retrieval. Not sure how many tries per hour are allowed, but we have certainly not reached the limit as we try one time every few days.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, I would like to drop these coins on an upcoming trip!

Merging duplicate threads, and bumping the response again.