Coin Activation Code Retrieval Problem

The Klever Boys

Hi,

I'm trying to retrieve a couple of activation codes via the feature on the Geocaching.com website, but keep getting the error below:

An Error Has Occurred

[We cannot retrieve an activation code for this trackable at this time.]

Reasons:*User have exceed hourly activation code requests limits. Please wait before making additional request.

This has been happening for a couple of days now and this is the first time I have retried today, so can't have exceeded my "quota" (not that I knew there even was one!)

Anyone else having similar problems?

Thanks,

Russ

Yes indeed.

The feature worked when it was first put up several months ago, but stopped functioning shortly after and has not worked since. That is the exact error I find whenever I try to activate coins. It is too bad because it would be a valuable service, if it were not broken. Other people mention this error everytime the topic comes up.

I posted about a month ago on this problem and was told to post to the feedback forum, which I did. Nate, a Lackey, posted that it was under review but that was almost three weeks ago, and still no fix to the problem, at least at my end.

gc.com has offered an alternative method that I'm sure is not the most fun for them either. A lackey has posted here that they themselves have reported it to Development.

It'll happen.

IS this a "new" lookup for people having problems getting the codes from the manufacturer? Or is this just the lazy way of getting activation codes so you don't have to go to the manufactures website?

I guess I have been blessed, I have not needed to contact GS for any of my codes, all have been available from the manufacture or store I purchased them from. I have had to do some research to find out the name of the coin however, but that was fun.

Gc.com does sell coins and as reported by the OP "I'm trying to retrieve a couple of activation codes via the feature on the Geocaching.com website."

As I understand, people purchasing gc.com sponsored coins should be able to retrieve the activation code from this site even if the seller provides it as well.

Gc.com does sell coins and as reported by the OP "I'm trying to retrieve a couple of activation codes via the feature on the Geocaching.com website."

As I understand, people purchasing gc.com sponsored coins should be able to retrieve the activation code from this site even if the seller provides it as well.

I had some trouble activating my EarthCache geocoin that I purchased from shop at Groundspeak, but they were very helpful and quick to correct the problem. I did have to send them a photo of the trackable and it's number, but that's understandable to me. You know it has to be a problem for them also. :)

Or is this just the lazy way of getting activation codes so you don't have to go to the manufactures website?

Thanks for not being judgmental.

I am an engineer, own two additional businesses, and have a one year-old and a two year-old. One thing I don't have is tons of free time to chase down codes. I frequently buy coins where it is not clear who made them and finding the activation code can be time consuming. In addition, I have bought several coins where the vendor went out of business. Having a single place to get activation could would be very nice. I once even bought a coin that was so orphaned that no one including Groundspeak could find the code. It took quite a bit of back and forth to get the darn thing activated.

IS this a "new" lookup for people having problems getting the codes from the manufacturer? Or is this just the lazy way of getting activation codes so you don't have to go to the manufactures website?

Groundspeak offers this as an option for activation codes. Some manufacturers prefer to keep the codes at their sites for a variety of reasons.

In my case, I just purchased an Alaska geocoin and they tell you to retrieve the code from Groundspeak.

And it doesn't work.

Groundspeak offers this as an option for activation codes. Some manufacturers prefer to keep the codes at their sites for a variety of reasons.

In my case, I just purchased an Alaska geocoin and they tell you to retrieve the code from Groundspeak.

And it doesn't work.

Great minds think alike! :( I just bought 2009 and 2010 Alaska coins. I haven't gotten around to activating them yet.

Yep, and for the record, I bought the coins from a site that does not give you the option of retrieving the codes from there and actually points you to the Groundspeak web site, so I wasn't trying to get them "the lazy way".

At the time of posting I was unaware that other had problems too (hence my post) and I was wondering if it was something affecting just my account. In any case, if the feature is provided, you'd kinda expect it to work wouldn't you (or at least be disabled if it was a known problem and would take a while to fix)?

Yep, and for the record, I bought the coins from a site that does not give you the option of retrieving the codes from there and actually points you to the Groundspeak web site, so I wasn't trying to get them "the lazy way".

At the time of posting I was unaware that other had problems too (hence my post) and I was wondering if it was something affecting just my account. In any case, if the feature is provided, you'd kinda expect it to work wouldn't you (or at least be disabled if it was a known problem and would take a while to fix)?

Do please post on the problem report page and vote how important it is to you.

Perhaps if lots of folks told them via the problem report page they would get the issue addressed. And yes I know that there are more important things, but ...

And it doesn't work.

I just became aware of the problem last night. Cachers who purchased Alaskan geocoins may e-mail me as an alternative to Groundspeak to retrieve their activation codes.

This appears to be an intermittent problem because I've had no problems retrieving activation codes.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

And it doesn't work.

I just became aware of the problem last night. Cachers who purchased Alaskan geocoins may e-mail me as an alternative to Groundspeak to retrieve their activation codes.

This appears to be an intermittent problem because I've had no problems retrieving activation codes.

give it time :) .

ILYK

Groundspeak relatively recently started hosting activation code retrieval. The Alaska geocoin activation code retrieval is being hosted ONLY on the Groundspeak site.

As mentioned in an earlier post, while Groundspeak works out the bugs, 2010 Alaska geocoin purchasers may e-mail (or PM) me through my profile and I can provide activation codes as well.

i am still not having much luck retrieving activation codes from Groundspeak. this time for a honu turtle. the lilysue site says the codes are hosted here but i am getting this message when i enter in the tracking code:

An Error Has Occurred

Reasons:*User have exceed hourly activation code requests limits. Please wait before making additonal request.

thing is i only have tried one other time today so i am certainly not exceeding any time limits. i have tried posting in the feedback comments for this issue without seeing any results and it seems others are having the same problem.

any other solution?

lara

(notice the folks at Groundspeak can't spell or use proper grammar - i thought i was the only one that couldn't spell!)

Edited by Eartha

i am still not having much luck retrieving activation codes from Groundspeak. this time for a honu turtle. the lilysue site says the codes are hosted here but i am getting this message when i enter in the tracking code:

An Error Has Occurred

Reasons:*User have exceed hourly activation code requests limits. Please wait before making additonal request.

thing is i only have tried one other time today so i am certainly not exceeding any time limits. i have tried posting in the feedback comments for this issue without seeing any results and it seems others are having the same problem.

any other solution?

lara

As far as I am concerned, this is a huge stain on Groundspeak's reputation. This problem has gone on for quite some time without any attention and I was really hoping that their software upgrade would fix this. They have some sort of voting system where we get to vote about which problem most needs to be fixed. Can you imagine a car company asking its customers to vote on whether the faulty brakes, steering wheel, or headlights should be fixed first? Remember that they make a profit of $1.50 off of every code on every geocoin and $150 off of every icon. I would expect their software to function as advertised and if not, to be fixed in a timely manner.

Do I have any authority to speak? In the past few months, I have sent them $1650.00. In addition, each goecoin is required to have their web address on it, so each one is advertising that we pay for and I am sure they pull in revenue from other sources. Don't get me wrong, I think they have a great service, but they need to pay attention to this before their reputation drops further.

so basically we are SOL for coins they host the codes for if we want to activate them? gregson, you make some great points! where will your codes be hosted for activation? my mind is rather boggled at the oversight, to say nothing of the grammar and spelling mistakes in the error message. it may seem funny, but a professional website should not have even such a small stain. it makes the whole thing look amateurish.

so i am still stuck with coins i want to activate but can't.

According to the great folks at GS (and I mean that seriously!), this appears to be an account-specific problem; meaning the link works for some accounts and not others. I have an account that doesn't work and the lackeys have been great about getting codes for me. A bandaid fix for you can be to create another bogus basic account and look them up through that account (that was advice given to me by one of the lackeys)...it does work. I will add my two cents, though, and say that it does seem to be taking an extraordinarily long time to get this fixed and it's only a bit annoying because I sometimes have to wait two or three days to get a reply from GS. I totally understand why as they are very busy and it takes a personal reply to get a code for me, but fixing the problem would be better! They have done two major updates since the problem started - thought it would have been fixed by now.

until i read this thread i didn't even realize we could email someone to get codes. but we have to take a picture and have the code be visible? good thing i have macro equipment. as for being lazy, i don't think that is a valid argument. so many times i buy or trade coins where the original card is not i the flip and i haven't the foggiest idea who manufactured it. so we try google first, then ask here if someone knows who minted the coin. so it isn't as if we know what site to even go to for codes.

like today. two of the luminous energy codes were hosted on another site that is taking care of coinswag coins, but two are not. so now what?

having to photograph a coin, work it up into the right size and readability and then email it to Groundspeak, wait for someone to answer, certainly does not sound very efficient.

why isn't this a higher priority for Groundspeak?

rsg and holy cow it is 2:30 in the o'dark morning.

until i read this thread i didn't even realize we could email someone to get codes. but we have to take a picture and have the code be visible? good thing i have macro equipment. as for being lazy, i don't think that is a valid argument. so many times i buy or trade coins where the original card is not i the flip and i haven't the foggiest idea who manufactured it. so we try google first, then ask here if someone knows who minted the coin. so it isn't as if we know what site to even go to for codes.

like today. two of the luminous energy codes were hosted on another site that is taking care of coinswag coins, but two are not. so now what?

having to photograph a coin, work it up into the right size and readability and then email it to Groundspeak, wait for someone to answer, certainly does not sound very efficient.

You don't have to send them a picture...just email them the number and they'll give you the code. It's as easy as getting it from the manufacturer...actually, easier 'cause you don't have to track them down.

Let me re-phrase that. If you are one of the ones for whom it works, you can just go to the link on the "trackables" page. There is a link to get the activation codes and you just need the tracking number. If yours is one of the accounts that doesn't work for, then just email them for the code.

Edited by steben6

You don't have to send them a picture...just email them the number and they'll give you the code. It's as easy as getting it from the manufacturer...actually, easier 'cause you don't have to track them down.

Let me re-phrase that. If you are one of the ones for whom it works, you can just go to the link on the "trackables" page. There is a link to get the activation codes and you just need the tracking number. If yours is one of the accounts that doesn't work for, then just email them for the code.

The feature worked for me twice and then stopped working after that. It may be that it works consistently for some, but enough people here are complaining to make me think that the problem is widespread.

You have to take this type of issue over to the Feedback section. This is where the people at Groundspeak, who can fix this, will see the issue, and can let you know when it has been looked at. They won't see this thread here.

well that's perhaps something the mods can do, make sure that Groundspeak sees these threads and our concerns. i have already posted to feedback as have many others. doesn't appear to be doing any good.

talking about it here gets more members involved than just posting a comment in feedback. the more members that know about an issue, the more squeaky the wheel gets.

cross posts, great job eartha!

Edited by RedShoesGirl

the issue i am having with two of the luminous energy coins is i have the activation codes but Groundspeak does not recognize the tracking numbers. so an email seems to be in order for those two coins. now where was that contact information ...

contact@geocaching.com - Please include the tracking numbers and any other information you have about the coins. If you have pictures showing the tracking numbers that helps too. Thanks!

I've been having the same problem for over two months now. I just emailed the lackey who posted to the feedback thread so we'll see what he says.

I got a reply and the fix is coming but not for a few weeks until the next release. So the best way to get a code is to use the contact info above.

AACCKK ACCKK ACCKK!!!!!!!!!

i contacted Groundspeak about the missing activation code for the lily sue honu turtle. this is what i got back:

Thank you for writing in. Please go to this page to find your activation code:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/ActivationCodeRetrieve.aspx

If you have any questions please let me know.

SHEESH! it still didn't work. so much for contacting Groundspeak!

i contacted Groundspeak about the missing activation code for the lily sue honu turtle. this is what i got back:

http://www.geocachin...deRetrieve.aspx

Some people on the forum was saying it worked for some but not so I tried it. It didn't work for my account so I tried my grandson's and it worked. Don't know if you can only use it once and then it stops working but it did work using his account though. I have received those messages from Groundspeak and then I reply I tried it and it still doesn't work. Then they send me the codes.

http://www.geocachin...deRetrieve.aspx

Some people on the forum was saying it worked for some but not so I tried it. It didn't work for my account so I tried my grandson's and it worked. Don't know if you can only use it once and then it stops working but it did work using his account though. I have received those messages from Groundspeak and then I reply I tried it and it still doesn't work. Then they send me the codes.

yes, i got the code finally from Groundspeak.

i wonder if there is something in that business of being able to do it once and then not. that's what happened to me. i used the service a couple of weeks ago with no problem and then not have it work this latest time.

there might be something in that ...

I e-mailed to Groundspeak to get an activation code for an older coin...I was directed to "THE PAGE!"

If "THE PAGE" could be fixed I'm sure it would be a gerat help to the folks at Groundspeak, who most certainly have better things to do than look up activation codes.

My question...it's been months now and "THE PAGE" still gives the same error message. If it can't be fixed, can it be removed? I feel guilty enough asking for an activation code for a coin, only to have someone take the time to respond, my e-mailing back that "THE PAGE" still isn't working, only to make the Groundspeak folk send out yet another e-mail.

ILYK
Edited by drneal

I recently purchased an unactivated geocoin on ebay. However, the activation code nor the site to obtain the code was provided with the coin. The coin is a 2007 Rhein-Nahe that I believe was made by Geocoinshop.de. However, when I try to get a code from their site I am told that the tracking number is not in their database. Any help on how to obtain the code so I can activate my coin would be appreciated.

Jack

I recently purchased an unactivated geocoin on ebay. However, the activation code nor the site to obtain the code was provided with the coin. The coin is a 2007 Rhein-Nahe that I believe was made by Geocoinshop.de. However, when I try to get a code from their site I am told that the tracking number is not in their database. Any help on how to obtain the code so I can activate my coin would be appreciated.

Jack

You can get your activation code off of geocaching.com now. http://www.geocaching.com/track/ActivationCodeRetrieve.aspx

Hi, thanks for the reply. I tried that link and I get "The manufacturer of this Trackable has requested that activation codes be retrieved from their web site.

Please click here to retrieve activation code." That link takes me to geocoinshop.de. And their site tells me that my tracking number is not in their database. I have sent geocoinshop an e-mail explaining what happened and asked if they could send me the code. I think maybe one of the earlier owners of this coin got the code, but didn't place it with the coin. I think in some cases you can only retrieve the code once. Hopefully the manufacturer will send me the code. i was hoping, just in case, the there might be another way to get this.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Jack