Garmin 62 buttons wearing past the black

yogazoo

I'm of the mind to call it a defect but that's just me. These buttons should not be wearing through so quickly and effortlessly. I know it's just a simple rubber pad that Garmin could replace for pennies. I'd be calling them up and demanding a repair in light of a chronic reporting of this issue. Cutting costs in manufacturing to increase profit margin comes with a price.

I'm of the mind to call it a defect but that's just me. These buttons should not be wearing through so quickly and effortlessly. I know it's just a simple rubber pad that Garmin could replace for pennies. I'd be calling them up and demanding a repair in light of a chronic reporting of this issue. Cutting costs in manufacturing to increase profit margin comes with a price.

It is irritating to see on my relatively new unit. Similarly, I have dust building up under the screen of my HTC EVO phone and the letters are wearing off the keys (which I seldom use) on my Kindle e-reader. Just like with the 62st, I take great care of these, keeping them in protective cases. Poor manufacturing processes.

Dave

Here's a link to a product that should cut down or eliminate any button wear on your 62. LINK:http://www.gizzmovest.com/

I am not affiliated in any way with this product or company and this should not be considerd an endorsement of the product. But, it looks like bumpers around the buttons would prevent them from receiving any friction from either your carry case or clothing, straps, etc.

These problems were solved in the seventies ! Try to wear out an HP35 scientific calculator buttons ! No way !

Seems it is a lost art.

I had the same issue with a 60CX too, plus the rubber cover at the top that was crumbling ! And I don't use any kind of hand lotion.

Normal wear they say ?????

Edited by Suscrofa

Here's a link to a product that should cut down or eliminate any button wear on your 62. LINK:http://www.gizzmovest.com/

I am not affiliated in any way with this product or company and this should not be considerd an endorsement of the product. But, it looks like bumpers around the buttons would prevent them from receiving any friction from either your carry case or clothing, straps, etc.

I have one of their eTrex cases on my VistaHCx and the GPS looks as good as it did the day I took it out of the box:)

I plan on getting one for my Montana when they're released. From the looks of the case and material I could light it on fire and roll it down a hill and it would come out looking like new.

I ordered one for my 62st and it's on the way. I'll report back on it when I get it.

Dave

I plan on getting one for my Montana when they're released. From the looks of the case and material I could light it on fire and roll it down a hill and it would come out looking like new.

I ordered one for my 62st and it's on the way. I'll report back on it when I get it.

Dave

Ordered it on Tuesday from Amazon (but shipped direct by GizzMoVest) and received it today (Thur) - that kind of service is unbeatable! The case fits my 62st very well. It is clamshell, hinged at the bottom, and held closed by cinching the attached lanyard. Easy to put on and remove. It has a dimple on the side to delineate the on/off switch and I don't have any problems activating the switch. The belt clip is removable. No problems accessing the buttons. About the only addition I would make would be putting a screen protector on. I think this will work quite well.

Dave

I'm having problems with (premature) wear on the buttons of my three month old 62 series. I always baby my GPSR's and I've had a 60 for five years now without a single wear mark on the buttons. My 62's buttons seem less tolerant to friction. The black is wearing off around the edges of nearly all my buttons.

It's not too big a deal, I mean I can read the buttons fine and know what each one does without reading the text on them anyway. It just looks unsightly and thinking about resale value it definately makes a used unit less appealing.

Has anyone experienced this button wear on their 62's or 60's?

Does anyone know how much it is to have Garmin replace the buttons?

Yes I am experiencing a similar problem. I have notified Garmin my product is still under warranty. The battery life is very short on the unit as well. Have to deal with one concern at a time.

I'm having problems with (premature) wear on the buttons of my three month old 62 series. I always baby my GPSR's and I've had a 60 for five years now without a single wear mark on the buttons. My 62's buttons seem less tolerant to friction. The black is wearing off around the edges of nearly all my buttons.

It's not too big a deal, I mean I can read the buttons fine and know what each one does without reading the text on them anyway. It just looks unsightly and thinking about resale value it definately makes a used unit less appealing.

Has anyone experienced this button wear on their 62's or 60's?

Does anyone know how much it is to have Garmin replace the buttons?

My 60CS wore after a few years, my 60CSx also wore after a few years of heavy use.

Hey, just wondering if anyone had any updates on how this particular issue with the 62 series has been affecting 62s owners. I just got one from REI and didn't see this thread till just now.

I wouldn't worry much about that...after about 1000 caches mine still looks mint.

Also, being as you bought it from REI you can return it for another one in 5 years ( or more )if you're not pleased with it.

For those not having bought at REI this may be of interest.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251047893754?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Dave

Ordered it on Tuesday from Amazon (but shipped direct by GizzMoVest) and received it today (Thur) - that kind of service is unbeatable! The case fits my 62st very well. It is clamshell, hinged at the bottom, and held closed by cinching the attached lanyard. Easy to put on and remove. It has a dimple on the side to delineate the on/off switch and I don't have any problems activating the switch. The belt clip is removable. No problems accessing the buttons. About the only addition I would make would be putting a screen protector on. I think this will work quite well.

Dave

I actually got one as a demo from the manufacturer for my 62s. Via LinkedIn, they were looking for people to test it and use that word of mouth as free marketing. A pretty good plan I thought, until I tested it. The quality of the GizzmoVest is really good but not really practical for my needs. I found it cumbersome to take on and off (which is required for loading new caches/changing batteries, which can be a daily occurrence at times). The case protects the buttons quite well, too well for gloved hands though... Which in my case is a big downside for caching in an Alberta winter. I found the removable metal belt clip to be really tight and very cold on bare hands (see earlier comment about not functional with gloves). I also found the string that comes with it not very practical. I couldn't use it as a lanyard or even attach it to one effectively.

This is just my opinion from my experience. I'm sure there are others who are very satisfied with theirs.

While the Oregon 600/650 series has a capacitive touch screen (similar to a modern smartphone), it can detect your fingers through thinner gloves (unlike a lot of smartphones). Now if you're wearing super thick motorcycle gloves or welding gloves, then you're not going to be able to use it. However, gloves like those pictured above work okay with it.

For those not having bought at REI this may be of interest.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251047893754?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

My keypad had worn way beyond any of the pictures posted so far before I decided to replace it. I bought one of the replacement keypads on Ebay from the Russian Federation seller and it worked well. The only problem with this fix is you have to be comfortable with dismantling your GPS. For some that wouldn't be an option although I found it to be straight forward and easy.