Web cam caches

Al 7365

Ok, I get why locationless and virtual caches were grandfarthered. But what is wrong with Webcams? For a start there arn't that many web cams so there is not the issue there is with virtuals. I just don't get it, can any shed some light on this.

Thanks

Where is the container and where is the logbook for a webcam? What did StarBrand say? A geocache is a place and a thing? something like that. A webcam is just a place.

Ok, I get why locationless and virtual caches were grandfarthered. But what is wrong with Webcams? For a start there arn't that many web cams so there is not the issue there is with virtuals. I just don't get it, can any shed some light on this.

Thanks

Where is the container and where is the logbook for a webcam? What did StarBrand say? A geocache is a place and a thing? something like that. A webcam is just a place.

The location of the webcam is the place. The picture of the geocacher is the logbook

Thanks

I don't relly understand the question. Locationless caches were NOT grandfathered. They were archived and locked when Waymarking came online. Virtuals and webcams were grandfathered and allowed to die off slowly by attrition.

My guess as to why is that Waymnarking was originally planned as the replacement for Locationless caches and using WM's to replace Virts and Webcams was more of an afterthought. But I suppose someone from Groundspeak will have to give the real thinking behind it..

Thanks

I don't relly understand the question. Locationless caches were NOT grandfathered. They were archived and locked when Waymarking came online. Virtuals and webcams were grandfathered and allowed to die off slowly by attrition.

My guess as to why is that Waymnarking was originally planned as the replacement for Locationless caches and using WM's to replace Virts and Webcams was more of an afterthought. But I suppose someone from Groundspeak will have to give the real thinking behind it..

Yes, the OP's terminology is incorrect. He seems to be using "Grandfathered" almost as "discontinued".

Lets see, I was around (and was the owner of a webcam), but I'll just have to go from memory. Waymarking went online in August 2005. The owners of this website were on a whole "A geocache is a container and logbook" kick. :) Webcams and virtuals were allowed to stay, but none could ever be placed again (i.e. Grandfathered). Locationless were locked forever. Personally, I think this was done because of bandwidth issues, Locationless caches used to get tons of logs, and the website was much slower in those days, and obviously with many fewer users. This is just my opinion on the Locationless though, and I could be totally wrong there.

I think (me going by memory again, as in the last post), is that it was touted as "the solution for Locationless and virtuals". Very few virtuals were being placed then. The so-called "WOW factor period" for virtuals began in May 2003, up until the day Waymarking went online in August 2005. I like to refer to this era as a de-facto ban on virtuals. :)

Locationless, on the other hand, had been under a Moritorium, and none had been placed in years. I'm not sure when the Locationless Moritorium went into effect, but I'll bet it was before the end of 2002.

And then, I agree, moving the Webcams over was an afterthought.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

When Waymarking was created as a replacement for locationless caches, the concept was that there would be various categories of locations and waymarkers would find locations that fit the categories. In this respect, a web cam was just a location where you used a web cam to capture your picture. It was a great fit for Waymarking. What is interesting is that the existing web cam caches were grandfathered and not move to Waymarking. Unlike virtual caches (there is no one Waymarking category where all the virtuals could be moved to), there is a web cam cateory. There was also an EarthCache category and the plan was to move EarthCaches to Waymarking. But the EarthCachers were able to lobby both Geocaching.com and EarthCache.org and get that plan reversed. Instead the EarthCache Waymarking category went away and EarthCaches stayed on Geocaching.com.

Of course one could ask why you couldn't have a Waymarking category for places where some has hidden a containter with a log book, and move all geocaches to Waymarking. TPTB have decided that Geocaching that involves the hiding of a physical container with a log to sign is a separate activity that they will keep it separate from Waymarking. The activities that grew out of geocaching that don't involve physical containers are better treated (in the opinion of some) as waymarks. TPTB however reserve their right to list some of these on Geocaching.com - either as granfathered caches or on the basis of some other criteria.

Thanks

The location of the webcam is the place. The picture of the geocacher is the logbook

Close but no potato. The picture is not a logbook you can sign. So your left with just the place. But for a real reason that can not be argued with, it is because that is what the frog says.

I think (me going by memory again, as in the last post), is that it was touted as "the solution for Locationless and virtuals".

It's a great replacement for locationless but not virtuals. The thing I like about virtuals is you have to find a few tidbits of information while there. It gives you that sense of actually "hunting" for something.

Shame, one of the most fun caches we did was our webcam cache. Sorting out all the technology and standing looking stupid on a main road. Location was good too, overlooking Mounts Bay. I'd rather do 1 webcam than 20 film cans in a hedge which are put there because, well, I'm not sure why really when we get there.

+1

Webcam caches are great. One of my favorite of over 800 finds was the one webcam cache I did on the beach in Massachusetts.

Locationless caches were NOT grandfathered. They were archived and locked when Waymarking came online. Virtuals and webcams were grandfathered and allowed to die off slowly by attrition.
Yes, the OP's terminology is incorrect. He seems to be using "Grandfathered" almost as "discontinued".

Part of the confusion comes from this page:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx

Where Virtuals, Webcams and Locationless caches are all listed as "Grandfathered" (along with 10 Years! events). I know what is intended, but it does cause a lot of terminological confusion on these boards.

Shame, one of the most fun caches we did was our webcam cache. Sorting out all the technology and standing looking stupid on a main road. Location was good too, overlooking Mounts Bay. I'd rather do 1 webcam than 20 film cans in a hedge which are put there because, well, I'm not sure why really when we get there.

+1

Webcam caches are great. One of my favorite of over 800 finds was the one webcam cache I did on the beach in Massachusetts.

I'm still kicking myself for not looking for that one when I was nearby a couple of summers ago. I only had an hour or so free to go out and find a four star puzzle cache that I had recently solved not far from there then grabbed a couple of micros on the way back to the house where I was staying.

I've only looked for one other webcam cache. That one was in Arizona and turned out to be in the same building where I had two days of meetings. When I went for it I discovered the webcam was down and had been off for about three weeks. The next day, back at my hotel I discovered that it had been turned back on but I couldn't get back to it before my flight back home.

There are only 4-5 remaining webcam caches in the state of NY but I'm hoping to get one that's in Warren, PA next summer (where the next GeoWoodstock happens). That should be interesting since it looks like it's on the porch of the CO and is in a quiet residential street in a small town. I wonder what the neighbors will think as hundreds of GeoWoodstockers line up to get their photo taken by the webcam.

I also thought that GS should publish a temporary webcam cache at GeoWoodstock for any attendees that want to log it.

How many webcam finds do you all have? Anyone know the record for "legitimate" webcam finds?

Just checked, I have 9.

Don't know what the record might be, but I do know that California and Florida have the most active webcam caches.

I'd expect the highest number of webcam finds to be a long time CA cacher.

A geo-buddy of mine LOVES em, has pretty high number of pics taken (31). Even now, when I doubt he's logging 50 caches a year, he'll go out of his way to log a webcam (travels both for business and pleasure).

Six finds. Three in NJ, one each in Maine, West Virginia and New York (now archived), and I own 1.

LOVED the one you own.

I have 22 completed in several states around the union. Since I'll never be known for any other cool geocaching stats, my goal is to log as many webcams as possible. I suspect in MN that I am high on the count list, but probably not compared to the rest of the world.

I think (me going by memory again, as in the last post), is that it was touted as "the solution for Locationless and virtuals".

It's a great replacement for locationless but not virtuals. The thing I like about virtuals is you have to find a few tidbits of information while there. It gives you that sense of actually "hunting" for something.

Unfortunately, it is a replacement for neither.

How many webcam finds do you all have? Anyone know the record for "legitimate" webcam finds?

I have found four (RI, VA, DC, NE). I owned two but they are now archived (cameras went offline).

I also only have 4 found. I too did own one that went offline. It was actually in some guys Condo, overlooking a nice park (used with his permission, of course). After 5 years he moved, quite unexpectedly. That was a sad day to have to archive that one.

I have found four (RI, VA, DC, NE). I owned two but they are now archived (cameras went offline).

I also only have 4 found. I too did own one that went offline. It was actually in some guys Condo, overlooking a nice park (used with his permission, of course). After 5 years he moved, quite unexpectedly. That was a sad day to have to archive that one.

Hey, I enjoyed going to that one, it is a nice park, I think I was the last one to log that one of yours Urk Man!~ I mean Mr.Yuck.