How do you backtrack?

When I used my BlackBerry to cache I'd mark the car as a waypoint, when I remembered to do that (which was rare).

But the return trip was still hard because all I got was a compass arrow pointing to the car ATCF and I sometimes still couldn't find my way back, the way I came in.

I stay in paths if I can but a lot of the caches I enjoy tend to leave the path and involve some trail blazing.

I have may long logs about getting lost..

My new GPS (Colorado) has a TrackBack feature that is always on. It seems to work great. I can follow the line I took to the cache, back out following an arrow on the map.

How do you guys...the 2 mile + hikers...find your way back? Am I missing something? Any advice on this would be great.

I have a "real" compass but I don't know how to use that to get back either.

Thanks.

When I used my BlackBerry to cache I'd mark the car as a waypoint, when I remembered to do that (which was rare).

But the return trip was still hard because all I got was a compass arrow pointing to the car ATCF and I sometimes still couldn't find my way back, the way I came in.

I stay in paths if I can but a lot of the caches I enjoy tend to leave the path and involve some trail blazing.

My new GPS (Colorado) has a TrackBack feature that is always on. It seems to work great. I can follow the line I took to the cache, back out following an arrow on the map.

How do you guys...the 2 mile + hikers...find your way back? Am I missing something? Any advice on this would be great.

Thanks.

>>>I have a "real" compass but I don't know how to use that to get back either.

This is absolutely one of the basics you must learn how to use with a map as soon as possible if you're going to find yourself deeper into charted and uncharted areas. Check out a local REI store and see what classes are coming up. As long as you stay on trail, it shouldn't be a big problem, but if you're in a maze of trails, then it becomes very easy to get turned around.

That being said, I have a really great resource of trail systems in the PNW and I use that to overlay on top of my maps and aerials on the GPS. However, without full dependancy of this resource, I also keep tracking enabled so I leave a breadcrumb of where I've been and can use that to follow my path back. I also waypoint my car for a bearing of direction to return to and know where that general location is on my paper map in the event I have to rely on the compass and paper.

I use a combination of MyTracks (Android) and the tried & tested map / compass combination. If I'm out walking 'off the beaten track' I would always carry a map of the area in addition to GPS & other gadgets.

I have my phone configured so that when I park the car & remove the phone from the docking cradle, the phone stores the current GPS location so it will always be saved even if I forget to start MyTracks !

Thanks for all the tips! I don't have a local REI but I can get a book to learn to use my non electric compass. I'd like to be able to do that in case something happens to my GPS and BlackBerry.

I'll also research for paper maps of the trails around here, I never thought about that.

The topo map on my Colorado is pretty good. It shows me water (canals and etc) so I've found that very useful.

Maybe someday Google will come out with a GPS and we'll have google maps on it. I use google maps on the BlackBerry once in a great while now...because it drains my battery. I want my BlackBerry charged in case I need a lifeline.

Lol, I've only hikes 4 miles so far...but I plan on further!

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the tips! I don't have a local REI but I can get a book to learn to use my non electric compass. I'd like to be able to do that in case something happens to my GPS and BlackBerry.

I'll also research for paper maps of the trails around here, I never thought about that.

The topo map on my Colorado is pretty good. It shows me water (canals and etc) so I've found that very useful.

Maybe someday Google will come out with a GPS and we'll have google maps on it. I use google maps on the BlackBerry once in a great while now...because it drains my battery. I want my BlackBerry charged in case I need a lifeline.

Lol, I've only hikes 4 miles so far...but I plan on further!

Thanks again!

Welcome to a very addicting activity. As you get to know your GPS more, you should be able to take advantage of Garmin's Birdseye aerial imagery and maybe gpsfiledepot for free maps. Others can tell you more about this.

I use the DeLorme GPS and it shows aerials just fine.

Either way takes some up front work and additional familiarity with your GPS and software.

I have found Google Earth (or Google Maps) very helpful to get an idea of where I will be hiking and know before I leave. People have told me I have a very strange ability to memorize maps and routes and remember them without looking at the maps again but we still carry a map and occasionally a compass with us when we do some major hikes. We have never needed to use them to find where we were, usually just to know the name of a mountain or landmark - but what good do they do us if they are in the desk drawer and we ARE lost?

The 'backtrack' feature is very helpful too. I would become very familiar with it and know how to use a compass before getting too far into the woods. While I also remember landmarks while hiking, the trail looks much different in the dark - and having the knowledge to use your GPS to it's full capabilities is very helpful.

-Tracker-

- I almost always (unless I forget), set a waypoint to the vehicle. Worst case, I set one as soon as I remember I forgot to set it for the car.

- I usually have a string of caches that I'm going after, so I'm seldom backtracking the exact path anyhow.

- I have a good reference of east/west from the sun position

- I bought a Coleman magnetic camping compass at Kmart for like 5 bucks, just in case GPS dies/breaks, gets lost, who knows what. I'll have the ability to head out in approximately the correct direction.

- Magnetic compass is good for tunnel caching, so you should get one anyhow.

- I do have tracking turned on for my GPS, so it's there as a backup, but have not ever had to use it.

At the very least, I mark the location of my car. If there are critical points along the way (a stream crossing, trail crossing, fence line), I sometimes will mark those. "Bread crumbs" (leaving the track function "on") can get confusing once you start backtracking -- marking a few meaningful landmarks helps me more.

FWIW, the trip back is usually easier, since I usually find a way better path near GZ than the one I took to the hide.

I tried the track function once or twice but ended up more confused than I was in the first place. So what I started doing is marking the car and periodically marking spots on the trail like when I stop to take pictures.

I do that looking back at where you've been thing too periodically regardless of turns in the trail and at least try to spot a couple landmarks in there. Works ok unless you start to get a little panicked and suddenly it all looks the same.

I picked up a Bushnell Backtrack GPS a few months ago at my local best buy for $12.00 no typo just $12.00 I couldnt believe it!!! The guy had no idea what it was or used for but I did. They were clearancing them out as discontinue selling backpacking GPS in that store. The Bushnell Backtrack allows for you to store 3 waypoints (all I need as a backup GPS to get back to car or trailhead) and points the direction back. I carry my primary GPS (Magellan explorist) the Bushnell Backtrack and a compass. I cant stress enough like other have said on to know how to navigate with a compass. Batteries die and $**t happens to electronics, but a compass and map have ruled navigation for centuries.

Edited by DanTheMan81

Hey Now, Seeker!

Do learn to use old school map and compass. It can be invaluable when you're off the beaten track in terra incognita when the electronics fail or fold, you become ill or injured or [insert your SNAFU here].

If REI is not a local asset (as posed by one poster), there are plenty of on-line sources of info for map and compass tutorials--as simple or complex as you want to get. Even a basic Orienteering lesson will help; check out a local O-club, town rec dep't, or community college/adult ed course schedule...

As far as using a GPS goes, anytime I am in unfamiliar areas, I make a waypoint at my vehicle and make waypoints along the way at places where there is a change...split in the trail,trail gets faint,etc...and I number them numerically as I go deeper in. Then you can just keep tracking your way back using these numerous waypoints. I also keep the breadcrumbs on all the time as well. I always make sure when I do stop to make a new waypoint that you have good satellite lock. If you try using just the breadcrumb trail, there are times along a trip in the deep woods that you can temporarily lose satellite lock, thus losing your breadcrumb trail temporarily. A compass and a topo map are always something you should have and know how to use.

Thanks.

First, know the area your going and carry a map. I carry a semi waterproof map. I scan the map and enlarge the area I'll be hiking in. This is placed into a zip lock, flat so I don't have to remove to read. (Know if you travel east, for example, you can reach a main roadway or civilization.) Second, thing is to mark the area where you park with either the gps or landmarks. Then given your terrain features try and mark the trail your using on the way out. If your heading off trail there is a very simple thing you can use to mark your way... "bread crumbs." These crumbs are something each of us carry in our packs, TP. I always try and carry at minimum a half roll. If you go off trail mark the area you leave the trail with about five pieces of paper hanging from a branch. Then as you venture deeper into the area place another marker in a like manner. These can be close together or hundreds of yards apart. Nice thing is on the way out you can just pull the pieces off the branch and if you miss one or two the paper will dissolve in the next couple of rains. Nothing like biodegradable trail markers. Low tech and easy to see off the trail. Other thing you can do is using natural trail marking. crossed sticks, piles of rock etc.... Good luck and enjoy the caches

I make "pre-tracks".

I use the Path feature in Google Earth to create tracks. It's similar to making your own tracks in MapSource except in G-E, you can see the actual trails! After creating the path, I save it as a .kml file, then use software (I go online to GPS Visualizer) to convert it into a .gdb file which MapSource reads and then download into my GPS after selecting a color and naming the track.

I have a Colorado 300 which I love and I have been experimenting with the track. Sometime I can get it to save correctly and other times I can't can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Or where can I go to get a step by step to make it work for me all the time. I really enjoy loading the file on my computer and see the info but when I find that it hasn't worked for me correctly then my hike is lost. Any info would be great.

thanks

Since we're on the topic of back tracking, is there a way to skip / ignore parts of a back track? Let's say I'm on a trail that goes 2 miles into the woods, then splits with a 3 mile loop. When I arrive back at the split, I want to back track the 2 miles out of the woods, not 3 miles back around the loop to the same spot I am now, and then the remaining two miles. FWIW I have an Oregon 450.

I've walked with a lot of people and we seem to watch our feet more than the area that surrounds us, more so if using trekking poles. Looking around and listen is something that you have to work at, and really important if you like bushwhacking. Look behind you a lot, get a mental picture of landmarks. What side was the water on, clearings in the trees, rock formations etc. In the Rocky's a sunny day fades away around 2:00 in the summer and the clouds make the surroundings look quite different. My gps (etex) shows a route trail as I walk so back tracking is simple. Always have a topo of the area, your gps may not get a fix on you at all times and leave stumped. Leaving a "tp" trail may not be to reliable with guys like me who pick up trash as I walk. LOL Look up foot Orienteering, it used to be a popular sport, you may be able to get some help on using a map and compass.

P.S. don't carry your car keys with you on your hike you will never find them in the dark.. Cheers