Best paperless caching GPS to buy on a budget

GeoMonkeyz

Hi,

I'm looking into getting a paperless geocaching GPS. We're on a strict budget and I'd love any recommendations or reviews on paperless GPS that have a reasonable pricetag. We are new to geocaching (60+ finds so far) and are pretty addicted to geocaching, so I want to get something decent, but doesn't have to be a top-game device.

Thanks!

IMO, a Nuvi, ~$80. Google paperless GC and look for some of the add-on macros for the Nuvi.

No free lunch of course, poor battery life, not waterproof, and poor sunlight visibility. But you said budget.

We have a Nuvi 1350. They have add-ons for paperless caching for it? This is new to me. If so, that would be perfect!

We have a Nuvi 1350. They have add-ons for paperless caching for it? This is new to me. If so, that would be perfect!

Read the tutorial here :

http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/

Requires you to run GSAK, which is a Windows app.

I have this on my Computer which has Windows Vista to load my Nuvi. But a friend of mine has Windows 7 & we tried setting it up so he could load his Nuvi 255w but when we got to the "Macro Button Configuration" part, Couldn't find the Macro File Name. He loaded the GSAK up to his computer his self. So I'm not sure where to start looking for what to put in that area or where to find it on the C Drive??

I have this on my Computer which has Windows Vista to load my Nuvi. But a friend of mine has Windows 7 & we tried setting it up so he could load his Nuvi 255w but when we got to the "Macro Button Configuration" part, Couldn't find the Macro File Name. He loaded the GSAK up to his computer his self. So I'm not sure where to start looking for what to put in that area or where to find it on the C Drive??

If your friend goes to Macro -> Run / Manage... and look at the list that pops up, does he see the macro?

If you go to Tools -> Options, and look for "Application data", that's the directory you should find the Macros folder. That is where macros are stored.

If your friend goes to Macro -> Run / Manage... and look at the list that pops up, does he see the macro?

If you go to Tools -> Options, and look for "Application data", that's the directory you should find the Macros folder. That is where macros are stored.

Well, He's not here with his Lap Top right now. But when I go on my GSAK & do the part "If your friend goes to Macro -> Run / Manage... and look at the list that pops up, does he see the macro?"

I don't even see the Macro on mine & I already running this all from GSAK to load our Nuvi & 60CSx.

Chrysalides is there anyway to have a nuvi show the caches on the screen?

Thanks

Well, He's not here with his Lap Top right now. But when I go on my GSAK & do the part "If your friend goes to Macro -> Run / Manage... and look at the list that pops up, does he see the macro?"

I don't even see the Macro on mine & I already running this all from GSAK to load our Nuvi & 60CSx.

Did you scroll through the list and look for "garmin-nuvi-exportgpx.gsk"? It doesn't always start at the top.

It seems that it will only show those within a certain distance from your current location (default 2000 ft), and only if you set Proximity to Prompt or Alert. I have not experimented with setting the radius larger.

Depending on your model of Nuvi, that may give some problems. It worked like a charm on my 650 and 660, but created some irritating behavior on the 2D map screen on my 755 (I can no longer touch a point on the 2D map screen and select that point - it will randomly pick one of the nearby POIs).

It seems that it will only show those within a certain distance from your current location (default 2000 ft), and only if you set Proximity to Prompt or Alert. I have not experimented with setting the radius larger.

Depending on your model of Nuvi, that may give some problems. It worked like a charm on my 650 and 660, but created some irritating behavior on the 2D map screen on my 755 (I can no longer touch a point on the 2D map screen and select that point - it will randomly pick one of the nearby POIs).

So if I want this I have to stick with my nuvi 500. I was looking to get a new one.

Thanks

Thanks

I recently bought a Nuvi 295W and have been playing with the GSAK/Nuvi macro to toss in a bunch of caches onto it. Most of them dissappear from the map screen as soon as I zoom out. But there is a cluster of them that will stay on the screen no matter how far back I zoom. If I click on one of them a balloon pops up showing the "Name/Tra/N/GC####" But I can't display the detailed info on it :D and I have no idea how I did it... It's a frustrating tease!

Thanks

I recently bought a Nuvi 295W and have been playing with the GSAK/Nuvi macro to toss in a bunch of caches onto it. Most of them dissappear from the map screen as soon as I zoom out. But there is a cluster of them that will stay on the screen no matter how far back I zoom. If I click on one of them a balloon pops up showing the "Name/Tra/N/GC####" But I can't display the detailed info on it :D and I have no idea how I did it... It's a frustrating tease!

How do you like the 295W? I just want to see the caches coming up. I just use it for road routing. It would be nice to be driving and see them in the distance. I have no problems with my Nuvi 500, but my sister would like her Nuvi to show caches along a route. She travels a lot.

Thanks

Thanks

How do you like the 295W? I just want to see the caches coming up. I just use it for road routing. It would be nice to be driving and see them in the distance. I have no problems with my Nuvi 500, but my sister would like her Nuvi to show caches along a route. She travels a lot.

Thanks

The 295W is awesome for Geocaching! It's not weatherproof like the 500 but only costs half as much and has a TON of features that totally rock for Geocaching!

-a tri-axis compass!

-slim & easy to hold, even has a wrist lanyard slot on it

-automatically flips from portrait to landscape view, which is great!

-the car charge cable ties into the mount not to the GPS. Very convenient!

-3 megapixel camera included! and will automatically geotag photos!

Garmin is dumping the price on these to clear them out quick. When my neighbor saw mine he ran out to buy one and got it for ~$85CDN!

A couple of beefs about it though... 1) the battery dies even if you're not using it(?) within a few days. 2) it's advertised to "speak street names" yet mine hasn't spoken a street name yet... maybe only does that in USA?

Are they in your favorites instead of custom POI by any chance?

Did you scroll through the list and look for "garmin-nuvi-exportgpx.gsk"? It doesn't always start at the top.

Yes I did, I just couldn't find it as I did on mine.

Delorme Pn-40 for around 200 bucks on amazon. Gives you everything out of the box including full mapping and auto-routing.

Magellan Triton and Magellan GC are both cheaper, but both are riddled with problems. (I own both the Triton and GC by the way).

I own a Magellan Triton 400, it was around $165 for the bundle pack that included Vantage Point maps with it. It is the biggest piece of junk that I have ever used, most time it displays "internal error" and shuts off. :D Even the maps suck. I went back to caching with a Garmin and field notes. ;)

I push mine to 3500 feet, but using a simple combine of GPX files, through EasyGPS, through the Garmin Custom POI loader.

I pity the fool who stole my old NuVi 205.. unless they're <2 miles from my house, for a 200 mile radius, if they encounter a geocache, or child waypoint (parking, trailheads, etc.) it's going to keep going off like Big Ben!

even over the voice.. And, the fun thing, it can't be erased or shut off unless they know how to get at the file.

I think something is lost between your posting and my understanding :)

Do you mean you can see the nuvi macro on yours, and cannot see it on your friend's? Or you can't see it on yours?

I push mine to 3500 feet, but using a simple combine of GPX files, through EasyGPS, through the Garmin Custom POI loader.

I pity the fool who stole my old NuVi 205.. unless they're <2 miles from my house, for a 200 mile radius, if they encounter a geocache, or child waypoint (parking, trailheads, etc.) it's going to keep going off like Big Ben!

even over the voice.. And, the fun thing, it can't be erased or shut off unless they know how to get at the file.

Doing what you say they can't do is a piece of cake if they know anything about geocaching & the likes, If they don't, Yeah, It be a pain on them for hearing the Alarm going off all the time getting near a cache that is loaded on it, But real simple for the most stupid to any one just by Muting the Sound/Voice :) We own a Nuvi 205, Pretty fast to figure the unit out :rolleyes:

I think something is lost between your posting and my understanding :)

Do you mean you can see the nuvi macro on yours, and cannot see it on your friend's? Or you can't see it on yours?

I can go in my computer & see the Macro. I couldn't see it on my friends.

I recently bought a Nuvi 295W and have been playing with the GSAK/Nuvi macro to toss in a bunch of caches onto it. Most of them dissappear from the map screen as soon as I zoom out. But there is a cluster of them that will stay on the screen no matter how far back I zoom. If I click on one of them a balloon pops up showing the "Name/Tra/N/GC####" But I can't display the detailed info on it :) and I have no idea how I did it... It's a frustrating tease!

Wow yep that's exactly what happened, thanks! :rolleyes:

While fiddling with the new gadget I transferred a bunch of geocaches to it as a POI file using the Nuvi macro. Those caches don't show up on the map screen unless I'm zoomed in pretty tight, which is a bummer :rolleyes:

But earlier on I noticed on the 295W there is a "GPX" folder in the file system so I tested by dragging one specific pocket query .gpx file directly into that folder. I thought it didn't work.. but now I see YEP it does! All those caches are put into the favorites folder, AND they show up on the screen no matter how far back I zoom! :blink: Now I just have to figure out a good solution to merge the two methods so all works the way I want it to work. Do all Nuvi models have a GPX folder in their system?

Thanks!

I recently bought a Nuvi 295W and have been playing with the GSAK/Nuvi macro to toss in a bunch of caches onto it. Most of them dissappear from the map screen as soon as I zoom out. But there is a cluster of them that will stay on the screen no matter how far back I zoom. If I click on one of them a balloon pops up showing the "Name/Tra/N/GC####" But I can't display the detailed info on it :) and I have no idea how I did it... It's a frustrating tease!

Wow yep that's exactly what happened, thanks! :rolleyes:

While fiddling with the new gadget I transferred a bunch of geocaches to it as a POI file using the Nuvi macro. Those caches don't show up on the map screen unless I'm zoomed in pretty tight, which is a bummer :rolleyes:

But earlier on I noticed on the 295W there is a "GPX" folder in the file system so I tested by dragging one specific pocket query .gpx file directly into that folder. I thought it didn't work.. but now I see YEP it does! All those caches are put into the favorites folder, AND they show up on the screen no matter how far back I zoom! :blink: Now I just have to figure out a good solution to merge the two methods so all works the way I want it to work. Do all Nuvi models have a GPX folder in their system?

Thanks!

NordicMan

You have a 295w, do you like it? Did you get it for road or combine of wifi and handheld? I was looking at them but I want the caches to show. It sounds like if you load a GPX file they will show, right?

Thanks

But earlier on I noticed on the 295W there is a "GPX" folder in the file system so I tested by dragging one specific pocket query .gpx file directly into that folder. I thought it didn't work.. but now I see YEP it does! All those caches are put into the favorites folder, AND they show up on the screen no matter how far back I zoom! :) Now I just have to figure out a good solution to merge the two methods so all works the way I want it to work. Do all Nuvi models have a GPX folder in their system?

You may want to try generating the GPX using the nuvi paperless macro, then copy the GPX into the 295W (instead of feeding it to POI Loader) and see if it works.

Garmin's non geocaching units do not understand Groundspeak extensions, where all the good stuff is stored.

NordicMan

You have a 295w, do you like it? Did you get it for road or combine of wifi and handheld? I was looking at them but I want the caches to show. It sounds like if you load a GPX file they will show, right?

Thanks

Yeah it's working out pretty good! And the WiFi works pretty good, it has a web browser & and email software built-in, which weren't terribly important to me but are sweet additions.

Garmin's non geocaching units do not understand Groundspeak extensions, where all the good stuff is stored.

The 295W does! :rolleyes: I just dropped an unmodified .gpx pocket query directly into the GPX folder and sure enough those caches appear at all zoom levels, and show the caches name/Trad/N/GC#### in a popup balloon. A problem though,, right now the same caches are also in the device via the GSAK Nuvi macro. When I zoom in far enough I can actually see both icons for the same geocache, but I can't "directly access" the POI icon, because the favorites icon gets touched first.. kinda frustrating but kinda fun to play with at the same time :)

The 295W does! :lol: I just dropped an unmodified .gpx pocket query directly into the GPX folder and sure enough those caches appear at all zoom levels, and show the caches name/Trad/N/GC#### in a popup balloon. A problem though,, right now the same caches are also in the device via the GSAK Nuvi macro. When I zoom in far enough I can actually see both icons for the same geocache, but I can't "directly access" the POI icon, because the favorites icon gets touched first.. kinda frustrating but kinda fun to play with at the same time :rolleyes:

GPX is understood by Garmin. It is the Groundspeak extensions (for cache description, difficulty, terrain, hints, logs, and so on) that the non geocaching units ignore.

That's pretty intriguing, what you described. If you drop an unmodified GPX into the GPX folder, it shouldn't show up as name/Trad/N/GC#### - that is the name only after being "mangled" by the GSAK Nuvi paperless macro. Seems like those names might be from your POI entries.

Needs some experimenting - please let us know your results!

I found this post. Apparently you can't put too much information into a Favorites entry.

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/5409

Edited by Chrysalides

That's pretty intriguing, what you described. If you drop an unmodified GPX into the GPX folder, it shouldn't show up as name/Trad/N/GC#### - that is the name only after being "mangled" by the GSAK Nuvi paperless macro. Seems like those names might be from your POI entries.

Needs some experimenting - please let us know your results!

Yep you're right in that observation. So here goes a test..,

I delete everything (all favorites, custom POI's, .gpx files), everything back to normal now.

Now I install an unmodified .gpx file by dragging it in and, yep the caches show up at all zoom levels, but now the pop-up balloon only shows the GC#### . But if I click go-to & then view it in recent finds I see the "full cache name, Traditional Cache(difficulty/terrain)" This appears to be the same amount of information my Vista Cx shows after directly transferring a stock .gpx file to it via the Garmin POI loader program.. So basically it's just *slightly* more convenient on the 295W to load basic geocaches (directly via mass storage transfer) than it is to load the Vista using POI loader. Not bad :rolleyes:

NordicMan

Thanks

Yeah it's working out pretty good! And the WiFi works pretty good, it has a web browser & and email software built-in, which weren't terribly important to me but are sweet additions.

The 295W does! :lol: I just dropped an unmodified .gpx pocket query directly into the GPX folder and sure enough those caches appear at all zoom levels, and show the caches name/Trad/N/GC#### in a popup balloon. A problem though,, right now the same caches are also in the device via the GSAK Nuvi macro. When I zoom in far enough I can actually see both icons for the same geocache, but I can't "directly access" the POI icon, because the favorites icon gets touched first.. kinda frustrating but kinda fun to play with at the same time :rolleyes:

That is kinda neat - I picked up a 295W today too - they sure are letting them go cheaply. I guess they didn't sell many, but for what it is, and at the price, it's a pretty cool unit.

Here's a couple of screen shots I took today, of caches loaded directly as a GPX file.

20101214-000406996.jpg20101214-000438086.jpg

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide
I delete everything (all favorites, custom POI's, .gpx files), everything back to normal now.

Now I install an unmodified .gpx file by dragging it in and, yep the caches show up at all zoom levels, but now the pop-up balloon only shows the GC#### . But if I click go-to & then view it in recent finds I see the "full cache name, Traditional Cache(difficulty/terrain)" This appears to be the same amount of information my Vista Cx shows after directly transferring a stock .gpx file to it via the Garmin POI loader program.. So basically it's just *slightly* more convenient on the 295W to load basic geocaches (directly via mass storage transfer) than it is to load the Vista using POI loader. Not bad :rolleyes:

Thanks for the test.

Not sure what's the limit with the 295W, but it appears you might have a limit of either 500 or 1000 favorites entries.

You've gotten me interested in the 295W as a geocaching tool :lol:

Garmin 295W Tip #1:

If you want to load more maps, you can do so on the internal memory or on the uSD card, but as far as I can tell from a quick test, the extra map is going to need to be in one file called gmapsupp.img.

I tried loading the maps I have in my Oregon, four different maps in their own files, with distinctive names, but the 295W would not see the extra maps until I named one gmapsupp.img, after which it loaded that one the next time I started the unit.

The 295W does Topo Shading!

20101214-011229264.jpg20101214-011210655.jpg

Looks like this thread has morphed into a 295W thread :rolleyes: I decided to get one to play around with.

Me too.

This little device is lots of fun, and very useful as well. I especially like the "auto" setting in text entry areas which allows you to choose the word or url the artificial intel thought you were typing. Already saved me lots of typing.

I would stick with a Garmin if I were you. I've tried Magellan and DeLorme both. They are cheaper but you get what you pay for in life. The Garmin Oregon is my favorite for the money. Like I said, I've tried the others and I sent them back.

And I have tried the Colodardo's and Oregon's and Dakota's and sent them back. But you do notice I do not usually state that. I am not like you and bad mouth other GPS's

Looks like this thread has morphed into a 295W thread :rolleyes: I decided to get one to play around with.

Me too.

This little device is lots of fun, and very useful as well. I especially like the "auto" setting in text entry areas which allow you to choose the word or url the artificial intel thought you were typing. Already saved me lots of typing.

I just placed my order for one, it will work great with my Delormes.

Thanks

Looks like this thread has morphed into a 295W thread :) I decided to get one to play around with.

Well, sort of I guess :) Actually it does answer the OP's question quite nicely "best paperless caching GPS to buy on a budget". This little 295W is a sweetheart cheap deal, & tons of potential!

Radio Shack has the 295W Online for $94.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=4368057

I think Yinnie's lives in Canada.. Grab one for $89.97 at TigerDirect.ca!

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...p;Sku=G145-0376

I think this gadget has so much potential because it's actually a re-tasked smartphone that Garmin threw a Nuvi label on. It's powered by Android and has a 600MHz processor. All for under $100,, new!

Hey you other 295W owners.. can you tell me if yours ever speaks street names? Mine hasn't yet :anicute:

Looks like this thread has morphed into a 295W thread :) I decided to get one to play around with.

Well, sort of I guess :) Actually it does answer the OP's question quite nicely "best paperless caching GPS to buy on a budget". This little 295W is a sweetheart cheap deal, & tons of potential!

I think this gadget has so much potential because it's actually a re-tasked smartphone that Garmin threw a Nuvi label on. It's powered by Android and has a 600MHz processor. All for under $100,, new!

Hey you other 295W owners.. can you tell me if yours ever speaks street names? Mine hasn't yet :anicute:

Manitowoc is not in Canada as far as I can tell...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manitowoc,_Wisconsin

I am about 30 mile southeast of Green Bay.

Thanks