TBs and Geocoins travel 1/4 million miles.

Pharisee

Does anyone else use a spreadsheet to keep track of their coins and travel bugs? I've just updated my travellers for this week and noticed that between them, they've travelled 256,435 miles. Now I know that's not a record... or even close, but it made me smile :sad:

Currently there are :-

21 in England

5 in Germany

4 in the USA

and 1 each in Canada, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Malta, Luxembourg, Slovenia, Wales, Western Australia and New Zealand.

20 in 'Location Unknown'... :laughing:

John,What a great set of statistics, we have lots of travel bugs and geocoins out there but heaven knows where they all are,or how many miles they have done.we do envy all these technical cachers. we just send them out there for fun. happy caching patandjeff=bones1.

I've all but given up on releasing TBs

One was supposed to get to Connecticut and made it as far as Denmark before disappearing. One made it to NY and disappeared. The others managed about 20 miles each before disappearing, in most cases only making one or two moves before vanishing forever.

I know you have to accept the likelihood of things going missing but it is very disappointing when they disappear so soon after being released.

Where do they all go? I would say recently 75% of caches I've found with TB/GCs listed have not had them in there.

I think sometimes people pick them up not realising what they are. Other times people steal them (especially coins).

I remember it being suggested that, when writing a log, the site lists trackables in the cache so they can be marked as picked up in the same way it lists trackables currently held so they can be marked as dropped off. That was suggested years back, but hasn't been done yet.

I'd be interested to know how many trackables are picked up by relative newbies who log the fact they took them, move them to another cache, but don't log it correctly because they don't realise they have to in order to keep their locations current.

I think sometimes people pick them up not realising what they are. Other times people steal them (especially coins).

I know some folks don't like 'defacing' geocoins but nearly all of mine have a label attached by a small split ring. This does mean that a 3mm hole is drilled through the coin. It clearly identifies the coin as a 'traveller'. The other side of the label had the tracking details on including the tracking number in large, clear print as the number on some coins is tiny and easily missed.

Geocoin.JPG

I know some folks don't like 'defacing' geocoins but nearly all of mine have a label attached by a small split ring. This does mean that a 3mm hole is drilled through the coin. It clearly identifies the coin as a 'traveller'. The other side of the label had the tracking details on including the tracking number in large, clear print as the number on some coins is tiny and easily missed.

Geocoin.JPG

I could not help noticing all the beer stains on your wooden table top in picture, or is it tea? :)

Geocoin.JPG

I could not help noticing all the beer stains on your wooden table top in picture, or is it tea? :)

It's the back side of my wooden 'bread-board'. It's unlikely that they're beer stains so it's probably just greasy fingerprints :rolleyes: