Magellan eXplorist GC PLEASE HELP?

Johnny And Jewels

We are new to Geocaching and purchased the Magellan eXplorist GC today. We read plenty of great reviews online, which is why we decided to purchase this particular one. However, we went out to find our very first cache this afternoon and we couldn't quite figure out how to use it-even after reading the entire manual.

We had no problem downloading the geocaches we wanted and we easily found them listed in the actual GPS, but we couldn't view any descriptions, hints, etc. Which is fine, we don't necessarily need those features, but if they are there we wonder why they arent able to be used?

Our biggest problem however, was the actual navigation and traveling to the cache. The device seemed to be very jumpy. One moment it would say we were a mere 9 feet away from destination, we would walk a few feet and then it would say we are 27 feet away. We understand you have to be moving for it to adjust to where you are but it also kept leading us in circles. I'm not even sure if we were reading the screen correctly. The manual says to follow the green line but the arrow representing us always stays at the end of the green line. Also, half way through our search and after dinking around with the device a little bit, red lines appeared on our map looking as if they were just scribbled on there. We arent sure what those lines are? We were thinking maybe our path we walked?

Needless to say, we were unsuccessful in our first attempt at geocaching and it was quite a disappointment as we have read so many great reviews on the eXplorist. If someone could please please please help us with this GPS system we would be VERY appreciative. We have high hopes for this device and believe we just need some help in using it correctly. We are anxious to get out there and do some geocaching!!!

I have this GPSr and can tell you that I love it - it does take some getting used to (as I would guess any GPSr would). There are many others out there that are better, but once you get used to this one, I am sure you will like it.

I am not sure why you cant view the descriptions, etc - Might be how you are downloading them. I use the pocket queries feature, but I think (might be wrong) that you have to be a premium member (you get a 30 day trial with this GPSr) in order to do pocket queries. I am able to view hints, descriptions, logs, photos, etc.

The device is jumpy....especially as you slow your pace as you get closer to ground zero. I had a hard time getting used to this, but now I start slowing my pace about 90 feet away and that helps...Keep moving around...it eventually settles down (even in thick tree cover...it gets me within a few feet normally). The only times that I have had a near impossible time getting it to settle are on raining/cloudy days.

yep - the arrow follows the green line...the point of the arrow should be pointing in the direction you are walking....the arrow stays green when you are on course. The red lines are the path you took and you can turn that feature off so it doesnt clutter your screen.

If you have not done so, take a look at the magellan site and read everything you can about this device. There is an owners manual you can download that is very helpful. You may also need to update the software and download a couple of the PC apps they have that are helpful in pulling your gpx files to the device.

As far as missing your first cache - I am sure you are not the only ones to have done this....I know I did - and the 2nd, and the 3rd. Stick with it and you will get used to your GPSr and you will also develop a better geosense...

Hope this helps!

Edited by EyeD10T

I have the eXplorist GC also and love it to bits. It replaced my 60CSX and I haven't really regretted it.

I usually only have problems with it being very jumpy when I'm driving. But, it's very easy to "out drive" any GPSr.

I'm only guessing (because I can't see your GPSr from where I am sitting! LOL) that you are using the compass on top of the map screen. I had to switch mine off and not have the compass on top because it was just too much junk on the screen and I couldn't really see what I needed to see. I walk and follow the green line to the cache. I know that I'm on track when that green line is straight up. When I am about 50' from the cache, I look ahead 50' and decide about where I think the cache is. Once at GZ, I use the lower numbers as a guide to about how far to expand my search. (Meaning, once I'm where I think I need to be if my GPSr is reading 15', I look around 15' and get an idea of my search circle.)

The red zigzagging lines that you see are your bread crumb trails. The GPSr is tracking your movements. (This is actually a great thing.) If you were hiking through the woods and got lost, you can use those red zigzaggy lines to get back the way you came. (By walking/following that red line.)

Every so often, once you're back home, it's a good idea to clear out that track log. Otherwise, you will have a lot of red zigzaggy lines junking up your screen! (I try to do it whenever I'm back home, but truthfully I probably only get them cleared out every 5th trip or so!)

As far as the additional info, you may not be getting all the details and hints loaded into the GPSr because you are probably only loading up .loc files. .loc files don't contain as much info as the .gpx files. If you're only a regular member, your only option is to load .loc files. I understand not wanting to buy a premium membership until you're sure you'll enjoy the hobby (I did the same thing). What some people do is to write down a few details like size, hint, location on a little note pad and take that with you when you go to look.

My last suggestion would be to attend an event. If you go to the www.geocaching.com home screen, about 2/3rds of the way down is the event calendar. If you view the calendar, you can see if there is an event in your state. Then, click on the event to see if it is near you. If you go to an event, be sure to introduce yourself to the cachers and let them know that you are new. Every cacher that I know is always eager to help out a newer cacher and show them how to use the GPSr and give tidbits of help. Also, most all cachers that I know are always eager to go caching with a new cacher. That's a terrific way to learn the trade.

I know how overwhelming it can be to try and learn a new fangled piece of electronics AND learn how to find hidden things out in the world. It's like trying to conquer two mountains at the same time. If it makes you feel better, I couldn't find the first 27 (yes TWENTY SEVEN) caches that I looked for. I had *no* idea what I was doing! Fortunately, I managed to find myself at an event pretty early into my caching career and the "oldtimers" took me under their wings and showed me a lot of helpful things.

Good info folks. I have been considering this GPS as a replacement for my older Etrex Legend. The Mag GC is in a favorable price point and has ease of use when downloading all the info. I have never downloaded anything onto my Etrex. I don't have the connection on my computer and don't relish the thought of buying the USB adapter cord (a bit pricey).

The Etrex does a great job, but can be jumpy at times too. It is very tedious to type the coordinates in and it gives you limited space for the cache name.

For now I will stick with the Etrex. I believe some better GC dedicated units will show up on the market within the next year or so

I could be wrong now, but it used to be the eTrex units needed a serial connection and why I originally started out with a Magellan. The higher end Garmins (GPSMaps/60 series/62/Oregon/Colorado) had USB connections.

The Magellan eXplorist GC does come with the USB cord so there's nothing extra to buy :anicute:

Just food for thought. When I bought my eXplorist GC, it was $200. They're already down to $150 at Shop Groundspeak.

I received my eXplorist GC yesterday and went out today to find my 2nd cache. Believe it or not I found my first one by using Google Maps!

The online manual is better than the one in the box (48 pages) but it still thinks all users already know how to use a GPS, so it gives mostly information on Geocaching.

To see certain info on your GPS, like hints, terrain, photos, you will need to be a premium member which the GPS unit will show when you try to bring up the info. You can write that down if you want to save a few bucks a month but it is worth it to have it with you. I didn't know that and didn't write any of it down (thinking it was uploaded).

I was not successful at finding the cache but I was within 20 feet of it according to my GPS. After I got back and saw the hints and a photo of the cache, I suspect it isn't there any longer. One I had placed a week or so ago using a friend's GPS was not where I put it but I did find it and was able to relocate and check the location thanks to my new toy.

I do have one question. If I upgrade to a premium membership will I need to upload the caches I have stored already in order to view the full info? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes but I wanted to save some upload time if I don't have to.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I do have one question. If I upgrade to a premium membership will I need to upload the caches I have stored already in order to view the full info? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes but I wanted to save some upload time if I don't have to.

Sorry, but yes. On the bright side though, you'll be able to run Pocket Queries which are a very easy way to get 500 (or even 1000) of the nearest caches loaded into your GPSr. (and yes, with descriptions and hints!)

It'll be so easy that you'll quickly forget that you spent the time putting those other ones in :)

Thank you ALL for the wonderful advice! Its been a month since I posted this and there has been some improvements in our using of the eXplorist :)

Its understandable that you need to be a premium member to upload the description, hints, etc. so thank you for that clarification.

Navigation is getting better for us. It IS jumpy and we realize that it is just the way this GPSr works. It just took some getting used to. As did the reading of the screen- it seems like such a silly question now that we're used to how this GPSr works. We really love the hobby and unfortunately we don't really have the time to get out as much as we would like to yet but we go when we can and have found 7 caches since we have started.

We do still have some questions. EyeD10T- could you give us the link for the online manual? We found it once, bookmarked it, but the bookmark must have gotten deleted and now we cant find the online manual again. Please and Thanks?! Also, how do we know if our software needs to be updated? And if it does, how do we go about doing that? You mentioned PC apps. Do we need those? We are not premium members so we don't download the gpx files, we download the loc files.

Jenischmeni- you mentioned clearing the track log so those red lines would get erased. We figured out how to turn the function off but how do we clear the track log? Will clearing the track log clear all info out of our device?

One final question- in entering in coordinates ourself into the device, it keeps telling us that the GPS has been turned off. We turn it on again, try to enter the coordinates again, and it comes up with the same message. How can we edit our coordinates when we are out and about? A multi-cache we are trying requires this and we dont know how to do it.

Thank you again so much for all of the help! As said above, we are really loving this!

That's great news Johnny And Jewels! I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the hobby and enjoying the eXplorist.

To clear the track log, go to "Tools" (it looks like a wrench and screw driver), then "Settings", then "Track", and the last option is "Clear All Track". Click that. You *may* think that it's not doing anything because it could take a long time to clear. (Especially so if you have a lot of tracks built up.)

By the way, I highly recommend that you turn the track log back on. It's a great idea to have it log your tracks if you're doing any hiking/caching in the woods. It's a lot easier to get lost in the woods than you'd think. If you have your tracks logging, you can figure out how to backtrack your way back to the trail head and/or your car.

I know you didn't ask this of me, but here's a link to the manual: http://support.magellangps.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=125&nav=0,1,143,149

It's a pdf file so you probably didn't book mark it and probably downloaded it. (That's what I did and I thought the same thing as you!)

Good luck!

We bought the Explorist GC yesterday - it's on for $159 at Mal-Wart. Our main unit is the 60CSx but we needed (OK - wanted) a back-up unit. The fact that it allows us to go paperless is great. We plan on testing it out tomorrow. The technologically advanced half is getting to know it...tomorrow will be fun as it will be my turn. If only there was a GPSr that would decide where to take us.......we can't make up our minds!

Glad to hear you are getting used to your GPS.

I could be wrong now, but it used to be the eTrex units needed a serial connection

Jenischmeni you are correct about the connection cable. I don't have that port on my computer. A USB adapter is available. I just don't relish forking over the $40 to $50 dollars for it. Manual input is tedious, but it works.

Jenischmeni thanks for the instructions on how to clear the tracks & thank you for the link to the manual! :)

Popokiiti we know what you mean by being indecisive! We cannot believe how many caches there are all around us. To think we didn't know all of these hidden treasures even existed a few months ago! Its so exciting.

M J Greene thanks, we are glad, too!

We will read the manual later today if we get the time, to see if we can figure out how to enter in coordinates manually WITHOUT the GPS function turning off. If anyone stumbles across the answer to this, we wouldn't mind taking a step-by-step instead of reading the manual :P

Happy caching!

I have one of these, I don't use it anymore, just did not like it at all. If you have the "smart arrow" turned on, turn it off and it should help with the jumping a little. I seen on the Explorist Forums that there is a new update for the unit. If you haven't updated it, you might try that too. I may get mine back out and update it to see if it's any better now.

Used the Mag GC for the first time today and we are very happy with it. Even I, a technology challenged individual, managed OK with it. Granted I didn't do the setting up - we wouldn't be caching for about a month if I had - but I found it easier to use than I thought I would. Still have lots to learn, but I found how to mark a cache as found on the unit all by myself...I'm proud of me.

WhoDis- Thanks for the advice on the smart arrow, it does help. Could you maybe walk me through the steps to update my unit?

Popokiiti- Glad you like your GC! Yes there is lots to learn with it, obviously we are still learning but there is nothing wrong with that. Good job marking a found cache! LOL

If anyone can help us with manually entering in coordinates, we still can't figure that out. I mean, we can, but every time we enter in, the GPS function turns off. (not the unit itself, just the signal)

Entering the caches from the computer to the unit loaded all the info we needed. The only complaint I heard from the aforementioned tecnologically advanced Popoki Nui was that it "turns off" when being loaded, unlike the Garmin.

We have version 1.6 in it now...so far so good. Got a couple of DNFs on our last outing, but that isn't the GPS! We had the Garmin 60 CSx with us too...I shall blame it on the rain, wind and cold at the first location. Or the rainbow. I read somewhere that the antenna in the GC is such that it should be held upright for better reception, unlike flat like many other GPSs. I must look at the online manual for more info...and to stun Popoki Nui with my knowledge!

Just went on a big all day cache walk with the GC, and I can say that I love it! It is jumpy when you slow down from a good walk, but at around 10 feet, we are putting the GPSr away and looking.

To add custom coordinates, click on Waypoints on the main menu, then hit menu, select Add Waypoint, then Coordinates. Took us a while to figure that out in the field lol.

To update, go to Here and download the v1.6 update. Follow the steps that the installation provides you, since they are pretty self explanatory. Mainly, you will fire up the executable, then turn on the GC, let it boot, then connect it to the PC. Select "Connect to PC" when it prompts on the GC, then wait for Windows to recognize it. Once it does, then you will continue. It will prompt you when you need to do this and provides step by step instructions.

I supose that every different brand and model has its quirks and works just a bit differently than every other one. I've been using it since April and have gotten very used to the way it works.

I love it. Did you get a free month of Premium Membership with it? I know they were putting coupons in the boxes for a while. Try it if you got one. You will be hooked on it immediately, it allows you to download all the data that is possible, the cache description, coordinates and additional waypoints (parking, trailheads), photos, the last 5 logs entered on the cache and any hints (already decrypted).

For extra coordinates, like seconds stages of Multi's, use the add a waypoint as described above.

Use the add a waypoint feature also to get the coordinates when placing a cache, Add Waypoint.>Current Location>Set Accurate Location.

WhoDis- Thanks for the advice on the smart arrow, it does help. Could you maybe walk me through the steps to update my unit?

Popokiiti- Glad you like your GC! Yes there is lots to learn with it, obviously we are still learning but there is nothing wrong with that. Good job marking a found cache! LOL

If anyone can help us with manually entering in coordinates, we still can't figure that out. I mean, we can, but every time we enter in, the GPS function turns off. (not the unit itself, just the signal)

Sorry, hadn't checked on here for a while. Looks like someone posted a link and instruction for the update. Definitely do it, I updated mine and can now say I'm pleased with the unit. It seems to have helped with the smart arrow problem too. Not a bad unit at all now.

Not sure what's going on with your GPS turning off, sounds like a glitch, try the update and see if that helps.

I supose that every different brand and model has its quirks and works just a bit differently than every other one. I've been using it since April and have gotten very used to the way it works.

I love it. Did you get a free month of Premium Membership with it? I know they were putting coupons in the boxes for a while. Try it if you got one. You will be hooked on it immediately, it allows you to download all the data that is possible, the cache description, coordinates and additional waypoints (parking, trailheads), photos, the last 5 logs entered on the cache and any hints (already decrypted).

For extra coordinates, like seconds stages of Multi's, use the add a waypoint as described above.

Use the add a waypoint feature also to get the coordinates when placing a cache, Add Waypoint.>Current Location>Set Accurate Location.

There is also an add Geocache feature, that's what I used. When you go to geocaches, click menu, then scroll down to "add geocache". It will show a timer counting down until it gets an accurate reading.

popokiiti- We too have found the GC works a lot better held in the upright position.

WarhawkXF, Thanks again for the information! I think we talked on another thread, huh? :P We now have the v1.6 software downloaded onto our GPSr. At least WE THINK. Do you know of a way we can check and make sure?

John in Valley Forge- Yes! We did get a free membership! Totally forgot about that! We will have to see if we can still activate it. Its been since December when we bought our unit. Thanks for the reminder! All of the perks of a premium membership sound fantastic. Hope we can still use it..!

WhoDis- Not a problem! Its been a while since we have been on the boards, too. We think we have updated our unit and we are going to try it out tomorrow so hopefully all goes well:) Thanks for your help! As for the "Add Geocache" function..What exactly did you use that for? You have us a little confused with that. We need to be able to enter coordinates for a multi-cache. Hmm, sorry for the confusion..!

I just bought a GC at Best Buy two days ago and the free month of premium membership still worked. I already had a premium membership and the coupon extended it by a month. So, your coupon should work.

I think that the "add geocache" function is for when you yourself want to make your own cache. It will countdown as it takes satellite readings and averages them. Thus, the most accurate readings possible. These are the coords you use when you want to publish a cache as the owner.

To enter coords in order to complete a multi or such, you need to go to waypoints. Once there you can enter new longitude and latitude coords. I haven't done it yet, but I have found the option!

Oops, forgot about the software update.

When you turn the unit on, you will see what looks like a clock face with a sweeping hand on it. Below that you will see "eXploristsGC", and right below that a small "ver 1.6" (or whatever version your running). When I bought mine I think it had "ver 1.0", and now has "ver 1.6" since the update.

Also, when you get into the "tools" menus, you have the option of entering your name and phone number. Then, when first turning your unit on, while viewing the screen with the version number on it at start up, you can have this info displayed. I'm thinking of putting "reward if found" and my number.

Am I correct that you cannot update the eXplorist GC using a Mac?

Magellan refuses to make:

* Mac Firmware updater for eXplorist GC

* Mac NMEA drivers eXplorist GC

* Mac version of Vantage Point

Magellan did make:

* Mac version of the Magellan Communicator browser plugin

I emailed Magellan support three times trying to get any info about how to do things as a Mac user and their best response? "... you may visit a public library and do it. " How sad is that since public library computers are locked down and don't allow you to just run your own software. They then flippantly says they may, if you are lucky, consider supporting the make with future products... Of course these are products you have to buy to replace you unsupported product. Though as of yet there are no fully mac compatible Magellan products.

So even though I have a Magellan eXplorist GC I'd suggest NOT buying any Magellan product. I doubt I'll ever buy another Magellan product. :sad:

does anybody know if its possible to send more than 1 cache to the gps at one time (without having to click the "send to gps" button on every single cache)?? i thought if i checked all the cache boxes i wanted on one page and then in the waypoint download box located below the list clicked the download waypoints it would work but all i get is a box that opens that asks Do i want to save this file or find a program online to open it.

i just got my gps so im totally confused bc i can send caches individually to my gps but cant seem to send them in bulk.

help!

does anybody know if its possible to send more than 1 cache to the gps at one time (without having to click the "send to gps" button on every single cache)?? i thought if i checked all the cache boxes i wanted on one page and then in the waypoint download box located below the list clicked the download waypoints it would work but all i get is a box that opens that asks Do i want to save this file or find a program online to open it.

i just got my gps so im totally confused bc i can send caches individually to my gps but cant seem to send them in bulk.

help!

That feature, along with many others, is available to Premium Members on GC.com. Then you can run Pocket Queries, which let you do searches for caches of a specific type or place and send the whole bunch right to your GPS.

Did you get a trial membership in the box with the GC?

help!

That feature, along with many others, is available to Premium Members on GC.com. Then you can run Pocket Queries, which let you do searches for caches of a specific type or place and send the whole bunch right to your GPS.

yes i did. i am a premium member...for the next 30 days. my problem is i dont fully understand the whole pocket query so i just kind of wanted to check 30 or so caches from the list and download them all at once to my gps instead of clicking the send to gps button for each and every one or creating a pocket query.

I have an explorist and really enjoy it (and I'm a newbie too, very techno-challenged). I received two pieces of advice re: jumpiness when you get close to ground zero that has helped me a lot. First advice was to disable the "smart arrow" feature - you know, the way the arrow changes color to indicate if you are on track or not? I was a little scared to do this (I like my "security blanket"!) but it did seem to help. The next piece of advice given to me is one I'm still developing, because it simply takes time/experience to get the hang of searching: once you are close to ground zero... stick the GPS in your pocket and start searching with your eyes. Pick a spot and start searching in a circle outward, poking at things with your walking stick and looking up, down, all around... if you were a geocache, where would YOU hide? :) There have been times GPS has taken me right on top of the cache, but more often it's old-fashioned detective work, LOL. :)

Welcome to the addiction! :D

First advice was to disable the "smart arrow" feature - you know, the way the arrow changes color to indicate if you are on track or not? I was a little scared to do this (I like my "security blanket"!) but it did seem to help.

Turning off the smart arrow....now. im a newbie too and i really wanna make this gps as simple as possible bc im electronically challenged as well lol. i really would get lost following a path around the block, which is why im going caching only around my neighborhood where i know how to get to the GZ without the gps.hoping with the familiarity i have with my neighborhood it will help me understand the gps better.

I've taken my GC out for it's first spin today. Rather happy with it. We've been phone caching for the last few months and the excitement of caching doesnt seem to be abating so we took the plunge. Luckily for us my pal is over visiting from the states so we get a GC two thirds of the price (if not half) of what it would cost us here in the UK. Quite impressed so far, only nabbed one cache with it as of yet.

I have a couple of questions...

1) daft question but I can't figure it out...what are the little coloured dots that show up on my compass ring, had a red one and a grey one...me no know.

2} Anyone placed a cache using the GC, we are desperate to hide some but don't want to mess it up for the hunters, feedback on this would be appreciated.

Cheers, Bobo

Good info folks. I have been considering this GPS as a replacement for my older Etrex Legend. The Mag GC is in a favorable price point and has ease of use when downloading all the info. I have never downloaded anything onto my Etrex. I don't have the connection on my computer and don't relish the thought of buying the USB adapter cord (a bit pricey).

The Etrex does a great job, but can be jumpy at times too. It is very tedious to type the coordinates in and it gives you limited space for the cache name.

For now I will stick with the Etrex. I believe some better GC dedicated units will show up on the market within the next year or so

I have one of these, I don't use it anymore, just did not like it at all. If you have the "smart arrow" turned on, turn it off and it should help with the jumping a little. I seen on the Explorist Forums that there is a new update for the unit. If you haven't updated it, you might try that too. I may get mine back out and update it to see if it's any better now.

I got mine new and had to update the firmware, and it is great.

Hi, I have the Explorist 310 and it seems it has the same issues when first using it. I now found it very accurate and easy to use BUT it does take a few days of real field use and testing before you can really enjoy it.

The manual need to be re-written for the 310 as well..

Happy Geo-caching

I bought this unit in january and was working perfect. Few months ago, I noticed that the accuracy of my unit decrease significantly. I used to have like 3 to 10 feet of accuracy. Now I'm up to 22 and sometimes more than 45. I think this starts once I uploaded the version 1.7. Anyone knows what I can do to improve the accuracy of the unit?

Thanks

Sam

I bought this unit in january and was working perfect. Few months ago, I noticed that the accuracy of my unit decrease significantly. I used to have like 3 to 10 feet of accuracy. Now I'm up to 22 and sometimes more than 45. I think this starts once I uploaded the version 1.7. Anyone knows what I can do to improve the accuracy of the unit?

Thanks

Sam

Have you tried a hard reset and then allowing it to recalibrate?

When I first started Geocahing I was using my BlackBerry Bold 9700. Needless to say I thought it was the best. then my friend showed me his iPhone App...I never used my Blackberry again. I did switch to Android and tried c:geo and a few other apps but found they were weak in comparison. I bit the bullet and sprung for the GC. Upon opening and turning it on I was very disappointed. I expected a beautiful GUI and all I got was a 1980's looking screen. I was foolish and never gave it a change. a few months later my local Canadian Tire had a sale on the eXplorist 310. I thought it might be a little better. When I Got it home and plugged in some GPS files I again disappointed but gave it a try. My nephew was the first to use it and did he ever. I watched him climb up a sand embankment and he was burying the GPSr up to his wrists with each stride. I thought for sure it's ruined. But nope, Stood strong and no even a scratch. As for the navigation, I found a lag that was quite annoying. I read up on some things and did an update off the megellan website. this fixed a lot of problems. You do need to be a Premium Member of Geocaching.com to enjoy all the benifits of this device. Here's how I look at it. you spend 150+ to get the unit, might better pay the 30.00 more to enjoy it.

I know its worth it.

However, as mentioned, writing down a few hints and taking along a notepad is how I started out and there is no harm in that. Paperless is the way to go though.

I just gotta figure out how to upload my logs when I'm done caching for the day...

Anyone?

We are new to Geocaching and purchased the Magellan eXplorist GC today. We read plenty of great reviews online, which is why we decided to purchase this particular one. However, we went out to find our very first cache this afternoon and we couldn't quite figure out how to use it-even after reading the entire manual.

We had no problem downloading the geocaches we wanted and we easily found them listed in the actual GPS, but we couldn't view any descriptions, hints, etc. Which is fine, we don't necessarily need those features, but if they are there we wonder why they arent able to be used?

Our biggest problem however, was the actual navigation and traveling to the cache. The device seemed to be very jumpy. One moment it would say we were a mere 9 feet away from destination, we would walk a few feet and then it would say we are 27 feet away. We understand you have to be moving for it to adjust to where you are but it also kept leading us in circles. I'm not even sure if we were reading the screen correctly. The manual says to follow the green line but the arrow representing us always stays at the end of the green line. Also, half way through our search and after dinking around with the device a little bit, red lines appeared on our map looking as if they were just scribbled on there. We arent sure what those lines are? We were thinking maybe our path we walked?

Needless to say, we were unsuccessful in our first attempt at geocaching and it was quite a disappointment as we have read so many great reviews on the eXplorist. If someone could please please please help us with this GPS system we would be VERY appreciative. We have high hopes for this device and believe we just need some help in using it correctly. We are anxious to get out there and do some geocaching!!!

I just figured this out today!!!

Once you create your PQ and are happy with it choose to run it today. Then go to your inbox and download the ZIP file. (I would create a folder on your desktop called Geocaching and then a subfolder called PQ) Save the ZIP file into the PQ subfolder and once there unzip it. There will be 2 file types. xxxxxxx.GPX and xxxxxxx.wpt.GPX or something close to that.

Hook Up Your GPSr unit to your PC/MAC

Click and drag the xxxxxxxx.GPX file into the Geocaches Folder on the GPSr

Click and drag the xxxxxxx.wpt.GPX into the Waypoints folder.

Safely remove hardware and reboot (usually does it automatically)

Done Deal!

PQ TIPS:

Choose to search for "Enabled" caches

Remember to set the Day to Todays date so you recieve your PQ in your inbox.

Change the amount of caches to a higher number so you can download more then 30 at a time.

Be Safe and Have Fun!

help!

yes i did. i am a premium member...for the next 30 days. my problem is i dont fully understand the whole pocket query so i just kind of wanted to check 30 or so caches from the list and download them all at once to my gps instead of clicking the send to gps button for each and every one or creating a pocket query.