All about the numbers?

Team kizb

So if I were to mint 4 versions of a coin with a limit of 100 coins per versions does that make them all LEs?

i dunno, but look at your total numbers. 400 coins. that is a LOT of coins, can you reasonably expect to sell all 400?

rsg

I used those numbers as an example. From what others are saying if you mint over 100 of any one version it can't be called an LE. So if you mint 400 coins in four different versions with only 100 of each version and say you'll never re-mint those versions, then there all LEs!

There is a vendor known to all here that does LEs of 200 coins. In my opinion, if you limit a minting to 10,000 coins, it is still an LE. In the art community, LEs are often numbered in the following fashion 125/500 meaning that this is the 125th item made in a limited edition of 500. This numbering convention lets you know immediately how many were made total and you can decide if it is rare enough for your tastes. I recently bought a limited edition coin that was from a minting of 10,000. I don't consider that rare, but I liked the design very much. That same coin design also had an XLE limited to three total. One was given to the pope and the other two were given to cardinals.

So if I were to mint 4 versions of a coin with a limit of 100 coins per versions does that make them all LEs?

i dunno, but look at your total numbers. 400 coins. that is a LOT of coins, can you reasonably expect to sell all 400?

rsg

I used those numbers as an example. From what others are saying if you mint over 100 of any one version it can't be called an LE. So if you mint 400 coins in four different versions with only 100 of each version and say you'll never re-mint those versions, then there all LEs!

There is a vendor known to all here that does LEs of 200 coins. In my opinion, if you limit a minting to 10,000 coins, it is still an LE. In the art community, LEs are often numbered in the following fashion 125/500 meaning that this is the 125th item made in a limited edition of 500. This numbering convention lets you know immediately how many were made total and you can decide if it is rare enough for your tastes. I recently bought a limited edition coin that was from a minting of 10,000. I don't consider that rare, but I liked the design very much. That same coin design also had an XLE limited to three total. One was given to the pope and the other two were given to cardinals.

I believe they are refereed to as SE coins only saying under 200 would be made. So that could mean 199 were minted or 10 were minted. Wow, 10,000 is a lot of coins!

Bring this topic back from the dead to pose a new question:

Whats your thoughts on sequential numbering Geocoins?

I used sequential numbering on my resent UFO Geocoin project, and would like to know if that was a strong selling point for people or could they really care less?

Sequential numbering isn't something I've seen used a lot on Geocoins which is surprising with the amount of collectors out there. Thanks for the input.

I like numbered coins. It nice knowing you have number 25 of the 200 made. Its kind of like buying a rare car that is numbered. You know it was whatever number to role off the factory floor of the limited number built. It is something that can make the lower numbered coins resale for a higher amount.

I recently received a pair of Pieces of Eight Geocoins. One is number 029 and the other is number 258. I plan to activate number 258 and send it out into the world as my first released trackable.

I like numbered coins. It nice knowing you have number 25 of the 200 made. Its kind of like buying a rare car that is numbered. You know it was whatever number to role off the factory floor of the limited number built. It is something that can make the lower numbered coins resale for a higher amount.

I recently received a pair of Pieces of Eight Geocoins. One is number 029 and the other is number 258. I plan to activate number 258 and send it out into the world as my first released trackable.

I have been paying attention to the issue of sequential numbering and I think that people would like it. I hear people refer to it every so often. I believe that it was popular for a while on geocoins, but then tracking numbers took over. Numbering could become popular again, but the question is whether a designer have enough room on the coin. Also, would it increase the production cost?

I have been paying attention to the issue of sequential numbering and I think that people would like it. I hear people refer to it every so often. I believe that it was popular for a while on geocoins, but then tracking numbers took over. Numbering could become popular again, but the question is whether a designer have enough room on the coin. Also, would it increase the production cost?

It does increase production cost slightly, and I guess as far as room on the coin would just depend on the design and if it was planned to have an extra set of numbers or added as an after thought.

Nope. That makes 4 regular editions. An LE is a limited edition, but not in the strictest sense of the term, sure I am limiting the number to 100 in each case, but LE's have been defined by this community as = minting less than the other editions.

There were huge arguments over this back in 2007.

Yes, people generally want limited editions, I used to collect the one I thought looked the nicest.

I prefer to get the LEs, but it does depend on the LE, too. For coins I like, I like to get one of every version I can (if I can afford it). So if a vendor offers all of the LEs in a set, and I like the LEs, I tend towards getting the set. : )

So do you care if there are 50 LEs or 200 LEs?

Yes.... 200 LE's is not an LE anymore in our book. Your coins are now sold out. The 70 or 90 minted editions just bumped up their trading or sale value if the owner wants to part with them down the road. You decided not to classify them but we still do.. :lol:

Edited by JoenSue

rsg

I disagree. To me, to be able to claim a title of LE, that version needs to have been made in a lesser number, a limited edition. You have to have a regular edition to have a limited edition.

IMHO :anicute:

I prefer to get the LEs, but it does depend on the LE, too. For coins I like, I like to get one of every version I can (if I can afford it). So if a vendor offers all of the LEs in a set, and I like the LEs, I tend towards getting the set. : )

So do you care if there are 50 LEs or 200 LEs?

Yes.... 200 LE's is not an LE anymore in our book. Your coins are now sold out. The 70 or 90 minted editions just bumped up their trading or sale value if the owner wants to part with them down the road. You decided not to classify them but we still do.. :lol:

And your thoughts on sequential numbering Geocoins?

rsg

I disagree. To me, to be able to claim a title of LE, that version needs to have been made in a lesser number, a limited edition. You have to have a regular edition to have a limited edition.

You make a good point. I guess my UFO Geocoins would all be considered REs then since I made it a point not to have LEs this time.

Below are what some dictionaries say. You don't need a regular edition to have a limited edition since many premium books are limited editions without a regular edition. All it means is that the publisher has predetermined that they would make only a certain number and then no more, even if the books sell well. With a limited edition, you always say how many you will make so that collectors can figure out supply and demand and thus how much value they place on the item.

World English Dictionary

limited edition

— n

an edition of something such as a book, plate, etc, that is limited to a specified number

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition

2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins

Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

limited edition

–noun

an edition, as of a book or lithograph, limited to a specified small number of copies.

Use limited edition in a Sentence

See images of limited edition

Search limited edition on the Web

Origin:

1900–05

—Related forms

lim·it·ed-e·di·tion, adjective

Dictionary.com Unabridged

Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2011.

Yep, what I was trying to say, she said it better.

And your thoughts on sequential numbering Geocoins?

Whoa! Kickin it old school, I like it! lol!

You make a good point. I guess my UFO Geocoins would all be considered REs then since I made it a point not to have LEs this time.

and i, for one, are SO happy you did. and not limit the best metal combination to the fewest minted. if i remember correctly folks were nuts about the gold and black nickel so i thought it quite wise of you to mint enough of that combination so everyone who wanted one could have it.

and i, for one, are SO happy you did. and not limit the best metal combination to the fewest minted. if i remember correctly folks were nuts about the gold and black nickel so i thought it quite wise of you to mint enough of that combination so everyone who wanted one could have it.

I have never understood the various metal combos and favorites... I prefer antique silver, but there never seems to be a clear winner. I also like it when the best version is the most available because I don't collect LEs.

i hate the whole designation of LE RE etc because it means usually the best metal/enamel combinations are going to be for the LE which, if you can't get the whole set, or get one of the rarer one right away, you are stuck with second best which is the RE. and who wants the metal that is not the prettiest or nicest. forget the second best, make a couple of editions of the very best, make all the same amount and call it good. or at least have reservations for the best available for anyone who wants it.

When I made my personal a couple of years ago I purposefully made the best looking finish (in my opinion) the RE and most plentiful. Still, people snapped up the LEs even though the shiny finishes didn't show up the details nearly as well. People do like that LE designation. I sold out of the LEs almost immediately and traded away my 'trade-only' XLEs just as fast. The beautiful antique copper RE's hung around for months. :D

As for numbering, I decided to put both a tracking number and a sequential number on the coin. The rarest finish had the lowest numbers, and so on.

phd0902_back.jpg