The Geocacher's Sign

Gemralts

I've had this idea for a while now, why don't we have a geocacher's signal. When we see someone suspected of being a fellow geocacher, we flash the signal, something that someone wouldn't notice w/o knowing of the signal. What do you think?

When doing urban caching I don't think I want to go around flashing signs. :)

I had my first 2 run ins with other cachers in the wild at the same time. I had decided to re-hunt a missed cache. Got approached by people as I was putting the cache back in the hiding spot. So I did the logical thing. I said "hi." Turns out it was the cache owner that was coming toward me. I didn't recognize them as having anything to do with geocaching but saying "hi" totally opened the door to the conversation.

So while we were talking about stuff another cacher shows up and starts wandering. It was evident what he was doing as he was looking at his GPS and it's not somewhere you would usually be using one. So we sucked him into our conversation. Again it was a simple "hi" that opened the door.

Muggle or not I say hi to people if they're around me. If they ask what I'm doing I'm honest.

I figure someone holding a GPS is a good sign. On the other hand, I ran into some other cachers in town one day. They were already looking for a tough micro near the start of a bike trail and I was just unloading my bike. The one came over and started talking about the cache...then she said she figured I was a cacher because she saw the GPS. Funny thing is I forgot my GPS at home that day. I had just finished strapping my camera to my bike, LOL.

I've also seen people staring at printouts near cache locations, or just generally poking around.

Aha! I beat myself to it!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=77319

and http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...mp;#entry849896

I believe the standard we agreed on was when meeting another geocacher, one was to yell "Ho, are ye a geocacher?" and the correct response is "Yay I am".

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left hand on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". At least that's the way we do it in New Jersey.

I believe the standard we agreed on was when meeting another geocacher, one was to yell "Ho, are ye a geocacher?" and the correct response is "Yay I am".

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left hand on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". At least that's the way we do it in New Jersey.

This is great!

I don't think that they do all of that anymore. The skipping was stopped as a safety hazard, the singing was discontinued after a few disorderly conduct arrests, and the chant was stripped down to mostly acronyms from what I've heard. :)

I don't think that they do all of that anymore. The skipping was stopped as a safety hazard, the singing was discontinued after a few disorderly conduct arrests, and the chant was stripped down to mostly acronyms from what I've heard. :)

I knew there was a reason I did not want to go to New Jersey. ;)

There's already a sign.

Have you not seen Jeremy using it?

d8694a01-3296-482a-864d-963873e38ba9.jpg

I said it before, its NOT a good sign at all. It means lesbian in ASL. I wouldnt use it. :)

Yes Yes we know it is ASL for lesbian.

My grandfather was a lesbian so that makes me 1 quarter lesbian.

Hey...we're out there.

There's already a sign.

I said it before, its NOT a good sign at all. It means lesbian in ASL. I wouldnt use it. :)

Hey...we're out there.

What part of Lesbia are you from?

Southern end, 'course.

There's already a sign.

Hey...we're out there.

Southern end, 'course.

Same as Danny Thomas, right? I think he was probably one of the most famous Lesbians of all time.

(I remember how he always used to joke about that big Lesbian nose of his. Oh, and Uncle Tonoose, too! He was also a Lesbian, I believe)

Edited by knowschad

There's already a sign.

Hey...we're out there.

Southern end, 'course.

Same as Danny Thomas, right? I think he was probably one of the most famous Lesbians of all time.

(I remember how he always used to joke about that big Lesbian nose of his. Oh, and Uncle Tonoose, too! He was also a Lesbian, I believe)

Are you sure you don't have him confused as Lutheran?

There's already a sign.

Hey...we're out there.

Southern end, 'course.

No, but come to think of it, he may have been Lesbianese.

I had my first 2 run ins with other cachers in the wild at the same time. I had decided to re-hunt a missed cache. Got approached by people as I was putting the cache back in the hiding spot. So I did the logical thing. I said "hi." Turns out it was the cache owner that was coming toward me. I didn't recognize them as having anything to do with geocaching but saying "hi" totally opened the door to the conversation.

So while we were talking about stuff another cacher shows up and starts wandering. It was evident what he was doing as he was looking at his GPS and it's not somewhere you would usually be using one. So we sucked him into our conversation. Again it was a simple "hi" that opened the door.

Muggle or not I say hi to people if they're around me. If they ask what I'm doing I'm honest.

When I'm looking for a cache, and there is someone who is not part of geocaching and is curious about what it is I'm doing I hand them a "Muggle" card: http://landsharkz.ca/downloads/mugglecard-LS.pdf this is something that I have printed off on card stock and keep in my Swag Bag. That way I can hand them a card explaining what geocaching is and how to participate! They can read while I continue on my search! :)

There's already a sign.

Hey...we're out there.

My Grandfather was also quite a thespian (mostly Summer Stock), but my folks never said I have any thespian in me. ;)

This is great!

Yeah, and while ya'll were performing your New Jersey geocaching confirmation dance, an out of stater would swoop in for the ftf... :)

There's already a sign.

Hey...we're out there.

Southern end, 'course.

No, but come to think of it, he may have been Lesbianese.

That would explain the hand covering the Adams apple part of the neck and lack of facial hair, but his ancestry would have to be from the Isle of Lesbos to be official. Previously I have studied the topic in detail, and have had connections with people in the anarchist "Lesbian Avengers" in the past, but they have since been disbanded..

There's already a sign.

I said it before, its NOT a good sign at all. It means lesbian in ASL. I wouldnt use it. :laughing:

Hey...we're out there.

My Grandfather was also quite a thespian (mostly Summer Stock), but my folks never said I have any thespian in me. :sad:

It's just an act. B)

I figure that if a person is holding up a gpsr and talking into it as if it were a phone; circling the cache location with a vest and clipboard; looking furtively both ways; jumping up two feet when I ask what they are doing; stopping every two feet to tie their shoes; holding a small container and unrolling a thin sheet of paper - the universal caching sign is being given.

But there is always the sign that platinum members use to greet each other, which also works if you get pulled over for a traffic violation on your way to a cache.

Edited by mulvaney