Lubricating an ammo can?

I!

I've an ammo can that's really tough to open, especially in the current wintry conditions.

Is there a proven method of loosening it up, e.g. with some sort of lubricant, that doesn't affect the seal and doesn't make the box icky to handle?

I have one idea already, but I can't find anyone to loan me the right type of frog: :)

I've an ammo can that's really tough to open, especially in the current wintry conditions.

Is there a proven method of loosening it up, e.g. with some sort of lubricant, that doesn't affect the seal and doesn't make the box icky to handle?

I have one idea already, but I can't find anyone to loan me the right type of frog: :)

The usual reason ammo cans get hard to open is the hinge gets rusty. If you can get the lid open first; at least 90 degrees; then knock the lid sideways off the hinge pins. Once you have the lid and box separated, the hinge can be cleaned with a wire brush or fine "sand-paper". Once the hinge is de-rusted and works freely, a smear of waterproof grease (I use the PTFE loaded stuff sold for bicycle chains) or even "Vaseline" on the pins before final re-assembly will keep it rust-free and working smoothly. You don't need to put it on the seal. If the closing over-centre mechanism is stiff, then free it up with something like WD40 and wipe off the excess before hiding the box.

... the hinge gets rusty ... the closing over-centre mechanism is stiff ...

Neither of those is much of a problem (I think ... hmm, but I'll double check the hinge). I think the problem is the friction of the lid on the sides of the box -- it's a very snug fit -- and was wondering if there was much one could do about that.

... the hinge gets rusty ... the closing over-centre mechanism is stiff ...

Neither of those is much of a problem (I think ... hmm, but I'll double check the hinge). I think the problem is the friction of the lid on the sides of the box -- it's a very snug fit -- and was wondering if there was much one could do about that.

Sounds to me like a little subtle 'bending' is required. A pair of big pliers and a hefty bloke should sort you out... in a manner of speaking :);)

This was one we found on the Isle of Man - beyond the point that lube would help! As I picked it up my finger went through the rust on one edge. The lid isn't attached anymore as the hinges have gone. The pic shows the best side, the other has obvious holes. The problem is being right on the sea cliff: salt and iron. Funnily enough the contents (in a bag) were dry as it's hidden under a ledge. :)

4617fe52-ad1f-4093-b152-73bfb714a2d1.jpg

http://coord.info/GCTATF

This was one we found on the Isle of Man - beyond the point that lube would help! As I picked it up my finger went through the rust on one edge. The lid isn't attached anymore as the hinges have gone. The pic shows the best side, the other has obvious holes. The problem is being right on the sea cliff: salt and iron. Funnily enough the contents (in a bag) were dry as it's hidden under a ledge. :mad:

4617fe52-ad1f-4093-b152-73bfb714a2d1.jpg

http://coord.info/GCTATF

Oh, I dunno.... a quick rub over with the wet and dry and a can of aerosol paint :anibad:

Seriously... that one looks a bit past it's sell-by date !

I had a big ammo can in a forest near Chicksands a few years ago that was run over by a timber tractor while they were doing some logging. It was completely flattened. I did manage to salvage some of the contents but the can was consigned to the scrap metal skip at work!

Edited by Pharisee